2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Amei

Record Breaker
well jeez, Plushenko dumped Tarakanova right before her birthday because she was freaking out over doing extremely difficult jumps? Thats harsh. Sounds to me like he's the one who is immature and over-emotional. I hope Panova decides to take Tarakanova, she could use a top junior now that Kanysheva has left.

While I'm not on Plushenko's side here (are we at the point in this offseason drama that we have sides???); at some point with a 14-15 year old freaking out (someone posted that she was crying and screaming, I'm assuming that was at the rink) stops being tolerated.

I'm not sold on Plushenko as a coach, I agree with a lot of what others have said about him and I vehemently disagree with him airing his and Anastasia's dirty laundry in the press. Maybe he should do what Lipnitskaya and Ilinykh have done of doing their 'academy' where they basically go to different cities and do master classes/short 'training camps' with little kids vs. trying to coach skaters that are competing at an elite level.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
While I'm not on Plushenko's side here (are we at the point in this offseason drama that we have sides???); at some point with a 14-15 year old freaking out (someone posted that she was crying and screaming, I'm assuming that was at the rink) stops being tolerated.

I'm not sold on Plushenko as a coach, I agree with a lot of what others have said about him and I vehemently disagree with him airing his and Anastasia's dirty laundry in the press. Maybe he should do what Lipnitskaya and Ilinykh have done of doing their 'academy' where they basically go to different cities and do master classes/short 'training camps' with little kids vs. trying to coach skaters that are competing at an elite level.

I do agree, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Nastya because it seems like a lot of elite athletes cry, especially when being pressured to attempt difficult jumps. And even if he did have good reasons to let her go, it still seems harsh to do it so publicly like this.

katymay

Medalist
I do agree, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Nastya because it seems like a lot of elite athletes cry, especially when being pressured to attempt difficult jumps. And even if he did have good reasons to let her go, it still seems harsh to do it so publicly like this.

Agree. So she is emotional and gets frustrated. So what. Not every kid is the same, and I get the impression that Alina has a similar temperament. She is dealing with growth, puberty and other issues, and I hope she is now in a place where she receives support-emotional as well as coaching. I hope she comes out guns blazing next year. It was very tacky to release that statement, especially about a 14 year old girl. (15?).

moriel

Record Breaker
Agree. So she is emotional and gets frustrated. So what. Not every kid is the same, and I get the impression that Alina has a similar temperament. She is dealing with growth, puberty and other issues, and I hope she is now in a place where she receives support-emotional as well as coaching. I hope she comes out guns blazing next year. It was very tacky to release that statement, especially about a 14 year old girl. (15?).

I basically see it like this:
Alina is clearly quite emotional and has her tantrum moments (based on interviews), and the season was hard for her, but her team still managed to get her in shape to compete. Daniil said that she can start crying after one failed jump attempt.
I don't think Tarakanova is just so unbearably more emotional than Alina. And while she is no OGM, she was Plushenko's top skater. I would expect some more care. But the team was appearently more concerned she would make the rich kids uncomfortable.

I dunno, things like this make me think that Plushenko is more focused on earning money than training top level athletes. Which makes sense and all, top level athletes require a lot of work and dedication and may never pay out (how many kids went through Eteri's group until she got a Lipnitskaya / Medvedeva / Zagitova), while the rich kids pay a lot of money right here and right now (there was a nice series of articles on how much money the coaches make in russia, I can bring it here for illustration).

Scott512

Record Breaker
Living legend has spoken: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4NMe8jXkAUgyFn?format=jpg&name=medium

As for Sasha and Eteri camp that was months ago.

Wow Plushenko did not pull any punches. He may not have meant to be harsh or hurt her even worse than she's already been hurt but he has to remember he is the icon of Russian figure skating the most successful country in the history of figure skating. Plushenko should be more sensitive but he's obviously not and remember he puts his own five year old son and a closet when he does not practice well.

Figure skating is a very beautiful spoiler but it's a very dangerous sport it's a very emotionally draining sport it's a very injury-prone sport. Nastya T seems like such a happy girl and her videos yeah she's so tortured on the ice. Hope the best for her.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight

She's still a child, teenagers are sometimes emotional. Its one thing to choose not to work with someone who you perceive to be difficult, but there is no need to publicly bash a child. Just say something like, "we were not a good fit, etc."

Thomasew

Rinkside
https://www.instagram.com/anastasiyatar04/?hl=en
Could anyone give a better translation than the automatic one? :pray:
But wow..... this situation escalated quickly

Wow, .. that young girl, barely 15 years old, has shown more maturity in her comments, .. than a 36 old Plushenko did in his.

It's clear that the training environment was not conducive to her progress as a figure skater, and had to consider leaving. Even one of her coaches (Ksenia) understood her concerns.

Yet Plushenko, .. in a desperate effort to preserve his ego, .. made it seem that Anastasia was at fault. Sorry, but that is despicable behavior.

It's almost as though he was determined to destroy her credibility, with any potential coaches who would take her on. So, If he can't train her, .. no one else can or should.

The Russian Skating Federation should have words with him, .. as what he has done, or tried to do .. is reprehensible. :(

Anastasia will be far better off without him .. :)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Oh wow... a very mature message from Nastia, probably one of the adults wrote it.

Yes, I didn't want to comment my move and my parents forbid me to go on social media, answer questions. But yesterday I read the comment of Yevgeniy Viktorovich and got very upset. Why he [said] this? I respect him very much, he reached incredible heights as an athlete, of which you can only dream about. He helped me a lot, when he took me in his academy, gave an opportunity to [continue skating] keep being a figure skater. He even found me a sponsor, who paid for my classes. The reason of my leave is not at all what he said... We discussed and talked about it for a long time, with my coach Ksenia Semenovna, that we had almost as 2 times less ice time than my competitors, the group is overcrowded. And even the venue/rink itself, it's very small and I wasn't used to that, I needed/missed the standard one.))) [They] promised [they would give] another ice [rink] as far as in February, but it didn't happen. I started to learn quads and 3A in the academy. And I did have "not so bad/ok" attempts sometimes, but not stable ones, and I was sometimes upset, but it wasn't criminal, on contrary, everyone supported/cheered for me. I had better jumps after training them on harness with Amir Rafaelovich, but I was rarely given to him and with others I was often injured. On practices a lot of things can happen, and tears and injuries too. I am no exception.
It was very offensive/disappointing to read such commentary, where in fact in psychological part, everyone noted that I got more mature[grew up] over the last year and I am becoming different. I think Evgeniy Viktorovich just voiced the opinion that matches my character the most. But nevertheless I respect him a lot and wish him big successes!
P.S We decided to switch back in March, I came to Ksenia Semenovna and told her everything, she understood and supported me, she said "go think [a little more/ sometime about it]", until Evgeniy Viktorovich will be back from his vacations. And so we did. When he came back, me and my mom came with flowers, and when Evgeniy Viktorovich saw me with flowers her understood everything in an instant, he wished me sincere [kind] luck!
I am sorry Yevgeniy Viktorovich, if I offended/disappointed you in any way, you gave me so much, I really did my best during my time with you!!!

I am not going to comment on the reasons why I am back to Svetlana Panova.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
I remember a forumer (Hello from Brazil?) who volunteers at big fs events, said that everyone cries a lot. Everyone.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh wow... a very mature message from Nastia, probably one of the adults wrote it.

Yes, I didn't want to comment my move and my parents forbid me to go on social media, answer questions. But yesterday I read the comment of Yevgeniy Viktorovich and got very upset. Why he [said] this? I respect him very much, he reached incredible heights as an athlete, of which you can only dream about. He helped me a lot, when he took me in his academy, gave an opportunity to [continue skating] keep being a figure skater. He even found me a sponsor, who paid for my classes. The reason of my leave is not at all what he said... We discussed and talked about it for a long time, with my coach Ksenia Semenovna, that we had almost as 2 times less ice time than my competitors, the group is overcrowded. And even the venue/rink itself, it's very small and I wasn't used to that, I needed/missed the standard one.))) [They] promised [they would give] another ice [rink] as far as in February, but it didn't happen. I started to learn quads and 3A in the academy. And I did have "not so bad/ok" attempts sometimes, but not stable ones, and I was sometimes upset, but it wasn't criminal, on contrary, everyone supported/cheered for me. I had better jumps after training them on harness with Amir Rafaelovich, but I was rarely given to him and with others I was often injured. On practices a lot of things can happen, and tears and injuries too. I am no exception.
It was very offensive/disappointing to read such commentary, where in fact in psychological part, everyone noted that I got more mature[grew up] over the last year and I am becoming different. I think Evgeniy Viktorovich just voiced the opinion that matches my character the most. But nevertheless I respect him a lot and wish him big successes!
P.S We decided to switch back in March, I came to Ksenia Semenovna and told her everything, she understood and supported me, she said "go think [a little more/ sometime about it]", until Evgeniy Viktorovich will be back from his vacations. And so we did. When he came back, me and my mom came with flowers, and when Evgeniy Viktorovich saw me with flowers her understood everything in an instant, he wished me sincere [kind] luck!
I am sorry Yevgeniy Viktorovich, if I offended/disappointed you in any way, you gave me so much, I really did my best during my time with you!!!

I am not going to comment on the reasons why I am back to Svetlana Panova.
Thank you for this :thank:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Wow, .. that young girl, barely 15 years old, has shown more maturity in her comments, .. than a 36 old Plushenko did in his.

It's clear that the training environment was not conducive to her progress as a figure skater, and had to consider leaving. Even one of her coaches (Ksenia) understood her concerns.

Yet Plushenko, .. in a desperate effort to preserve his ego, .. made it seem that Anastasia was at fault. Sorry, but that is despicable behavior.

It's almost as though he was determined to destroy her credibility, with any potential coaches who would take her on. So, If he can't train her, .. no one else can or should.

The Russian Skating Federation should have words with him, .. as what he has done, or tried to do .. is reprehensible. :(

Anastasia will be far better off without him .. :)

Actually, I wouldn't throw all the blame at Plushenko. Although he shouldn't have said this... showing dirty laundry isn't very nice.
And I don't think he's a very good coach either.
And in fact he didn't actually train Nastia, and as she said he probably voiced the opinion he had of her, maybe the coaches said something, or what he saw himself at times.
But nevertheless, as much of a teenager she is, in top schools this kind of behavior is rarely tolerated (not that Plushenko has a top school), but Mishin also kicked out students who misbehaved.
It just ruins the mood within the group, especially when you have a lot of small children who look up to older kids.
Nastia was unfortunately known to have this kind of very emotional behavior, these comments about her circulated for some time already.
She's a senior eligible next year and should learn that she might cry silently if she's disappointed, but she shouldn't straight up make a scene out of it, where coaches who train large groups all at once have to spare their time to console her, thus depriving other students of coaching time.

Her parents need to explain to her that other adults aren't going to be as tolerant to these outbursts as her parents are, and she's a professional athlete, who needs to understand it's not an after school activity she's doing, it is her full-time job at this point. You simply can't behave like this with your teacher/coach, and that's it.

For comments about Alina easily crying, she got kicked out once for complaining and not working enough, I think she learned her lesson and her being upset when some things aren't working out is rather different than what Nastia complained about. Alina had more psychological pressure from outside this year and was more stressed when she couldn't perform the content she used to do for 2 years, it's more of a 'difficult period' in life rather than her being constantly like this. She is a hard worker though, and her team is willing to work through those hardships because of her work ethic.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bold response by Anastasia (or more likely by her parents). Smart PR move. One way or the other Plushy end up a bit of a bad guy here. Anastasia is a bit of a victim, but ridding a high horse and saying sorry many times (along some real talk and fair complains). Good move, Nastya, good move.

NaVi

Medalist
Plushenko's rink is IIRC not full sized and it always seems extremely crowded. It reminds me of the videos of Tessa Hong doing run-throughs with with Tom Z in an extremely crowded rink... and she eventually quit. I'm skeptical of Plushenko being able to keep seniors without a change in conditions... especially if they're doing 3As and quads. They did an ok to good job with Serafima and Anastasia... but both left in a year. Serafima left because her own coach there left. And to my eye it seems like they've done better with girls and boys thus far.

I actually think what Plushenko has done by bringing in the kids of the elite to be really smart. Rich people will pay a lot of money to get their children hanging out with the children of other rich people. This is worth emulating in other countries. It's still early days for their club but I'm skeptical of their team's ability to develop skaters capable of getting a medal at the major novice championships or getting onto the junior grand prix. And without that at some point, what will they have to advertise? Being in Moscow makes it harder to win the more prestigious local competitions but that's also where the rich people are. They'd have more to brag about if they were in Sochi. It's likely they'll have to depend on more transfers... and I wonder if they'll start paying skaters to transfer to be coached by Plushenko. TBH, I'd rather skaters go to Plushenko than Buianova.

karina17

Final Flight
Russian Ladies off-season checklist:

● Videos of Eteri's kids landing 3As/quads are out
● Anastasia Tarakanova has left her coach
● Evgenia is injured to the point of not jumping
● Coaching drama has been released in the press

We're not even a week into the off-season and somehow it's already exactly like last year.

LRK

Record Breaker
Plushenko's rink is IIRC not full sized and it always seems extremely crowded. It reminds me of the videos of Tessa Hong doing run-throughs with with Tom Z in an extremely crowded rink... and she eventually quit. I'm skeptical of Plushenko being able to keep seniors without a change in conditions... especially if they're doing 3As and quads. They did an ok to good job with Serafima and Anastasia... but both left in a year. Serafima left because her own coach there left. And to my eye it seems like they've done better with girls and boys thus far.

I actually think what Plushenko has done by bringing in the kids of the elite to be really smart. Rich people will pay a lot of money to get their children hanging out with the children of other rich people. This is worth emulating in other countries. It's still early days for their club but I'm skeptical of their team's ability to develop skaters capable of getting a medal at the major novice championships or getting onto the junior grand prix. And without that at some point, what will they have to advertise? Being in Moscow makes it harder to win the more prestigious local competitions but that's also where the rich people are. They'd have more to brag about if they were in Sochi. It's likely they'll have to depend on more transfers... and I wonder if they'll start paying skaters to transfer to be coached by Plushenko. TBH, I'd rather skaters go to Plushenko than Buianova.

The rink is definitely very small and very crowded. I know there were some plans for getting a bigger one - I think it is essential that they do so as soon as possible, or it will be very difficult to attract high level talent - or keep it when they've got it.