Virtue & Moir’s Rock the Rink tour announced | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Virtue & Moir’s Rock the Rink tour announced

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OMG Kaetlyn has reitred? Colonel Green. Forget Cleveland this is "exciting" in maybe a bad way.

why would it be a bad thing ? Kaetlyn has nothing left to prove.. she has an olympic medal of every colour and is a world champion. She came back from a major injury and WOWed the worlds with her perseverance and dedication to her sport. Now, it seems that she wants to feel the love of the public and the life on tour... and she is lucky that virtue and moir are out there putting on great shows all across canada... so she can keep a busy pro skater life all year long...

i would say : congrats Kaetlyn ! Take your opportunity to shine ! Of course, I wish she may do a weapo and come back for Nationals... but I don't expect she will and I am happy for her.

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
why would it be a bad thing ? Kaetlyn has nothing left to prove.. she has an olympic medal of very colour and is a world champion. She came back from a major injury and WOWed the worlds with her perseverance and dedication to her sport. Now, it seems that she wants to feel the love of the public and the life on tour... and she is lucky that virtue and moir are out there putting on great shows all across canada... so she can keep a busy pro skater life all year long...

i would say : congrats Kaetlyn ! Take your opportunity to shine ! Of course, I wish she may do a weapo and come back for Nationals... but I don't expect she will and I am happy for her.

I agree in congratulating Katelyn. She has a world title and an Olympic medal - an enviable record for many. I do not see the upside to continuing her career as an amateur. She is a showgirl at heart and will do extremely well as a pro.

Casual

On the Ice
Oh, no. I would love to see V/M and Katelyn, but I never liked Italians, their style is just not my cup of tea.

Casual

On the Ice
I agree in congratulating Katelyn. She has a world title and an Olympic medal - an enviable record for many. I do not see the upside to continuing her career as an amateur. She is a showgirl at heart and will do extremely well as a pro.
I agree. Those who love her can continue to see her in shows. She's still a true star.

After this year's worlds, I'm surprised more skaters don't leave the sport. Why stay and deal with that nonsense?

Oh, no. I would love to see V/M and Katelyn, but I never liked Italians, their style is just not my cup of tea.

Blame the cruelty of the skating gods. They tease you with, come see Virtue and Moir; then (with an evil and sadistic grin) -- but first you have to suffer through (can you believe it?) Italians. ;)

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I hope they come to the Bay Area. I haven't seen Kostner since 2011 Skate America when I was in LA and I haven't ever seen V&M.

Casual

On the Ice
Blame the cruelty of the skating gods. They tease you with, come see Virtue and Moir; then (with an evil and sadistic grin) -- but first you have to suffer through (can you believe it?) Italians. ;)

Or worse yet, have V/M skate in Italian style... Oh, the horror! :laugh:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Does anyone else think that a rock-music themed tour is kind of an odd choice for VM? I mean, they are fabulous, and bravo to them for putting together these tours, but when it comes to skaters who could really rock it out, VM are not exactly the first skaters who come to my mind. Nor are Carolina Kostner, or Patrick, or Jeremy (though he’s wonderfully musical), or, well, any of them in this cast, really.

Unless they are planning to go more “pop,” or something. Maybe by “rock” they mean, we will have Anna in a polka dot poodle skirt doing something from the 50s with Luca? That I can imagine, but it’s not what I think of when I hear that it’s to be a rock-themed tour.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Does anyone else think that a rock-music themed tour is kind of an odd choice for VM? I mean, they are fabulous, and bravo to them for putting together these tours, but when it comes to skaters who could really rock it out, VM are not exactly the first skaters who come to my mind. Nor are Carolina Kostner, or Patrick, or Jeremy (though he’s wonderfully musical), or, well, any of them in this cast, really.

Unless they are planning to go more “pop,” or something. Maybe by “rock” they mean, we will have Anna in a polka dot poodle skirt doing something from the 50s with Luca? That I can imagine, but it’s not what I think of when I hear that it’s to be a rock-themed tour.

Look into more of their work (all of the skaters you mentioned) over time. They have all done rock, and so on and can move. They are all very versatile. I don't see a problem whatsoever with this theme.

Last edited:

believed

On the Ice

Just to clarify — while there may be rock included in the tour, Tessa has said in an interview that it’s not necessarily rock themed. With their name, it was more along the lines of a “rocking good time.”

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I guess it depends on how strict your definition of rock is.

V/M's 2017-18 SD was to the Rolling Stones, the Eagles and Santana (latin rock). They did an ex to a Tragically Hip song. Purple Rain is described as a combo of genres including rock. Their ex from 2008-10 Jack and Diane is listed as heartland rock. Just as a sampling.

As for Patrick, Dust in the Wind is a soft rock song. Dear Prudence is listed as Rock.

Bonzo's Montreux from Carolina's 2016-17 SP is rock (she used it as an ex first). She also did Riders on the Storm by the Doors back in 2007-08.

Jeremy has several programs and ex's that could be classified as rock. Hard Habit to Break is soft rock. Exogenesis is rock. This Is It is prog/soft rock. Crystal Ball is rock. Just to name a few.

And of course, Elvis fits a rock theme well.

Plus, like believed said, the whole tour isn't going to be rock.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hmmm … Charlie White is among the skaters tagged in Scott's tweet this morning re Rock The Rink.

@ScottMoir

ENROUTE to @rocktherinktour to finish putting this tour together!!! For those about to Rock- @tessavirtue @CharlieaWhite @Pchiddy @elvisstojko @kaetlyn_23 @msKOSTNER @xam_trankov #Tati @jeremyabbottpcf @BirdsBellwoods WE SALUTE YOU

8:02 AM - 15 Sep 2019

https://twitter.com/ScottMoir/status/1173250646071480320

Could Charlie be contributing to the choreo? Or performing? Or ??? :cool:

believed

On the Ice
Hmmm … Charlie White is among the skaters tagged in Scott's tweet this morning re Rock The Rink.

@ScottMoir

ENROUTE to @rocktherinktour to finish putting this tour together!!! For those about to Rock- @tessavirtue @CharlieaWhite @Pchiddy @elvisstojko @kaetlyn_23 @msKOSTNER @xam_trankov #Tati @jeremyabbottpcf @BirdsBellwoods WE SALUTE YOU

8:02 AM - 15 Sep 2019

https://twitter.com/ScottMoir/status/1173250646071480320

Could Charlie be contributing to the choreo? Or performing? Or ??? :cool:

Tessa confirmed in an interview that he will be doing some choreo for them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Various dates are TBD, but as previously announced it includes a few American tour stops, e.g., Cleveland.

With the American dates I was wondering if the show would add a lot of American castmembers, but the only one on the main list is Jeremy Abbott.

However, if you’re a North American fan of Italian skaters, this is the tour for you, as Tessa and Scott recruited Anna Cappellini, Luca Lanotte, and Carolina Kostner (who I guess isn’t doing the Grand Prix this fall). I guess that puts Tessa’s recent trip to Italy in a different light.

Also, of course, Kaetlyn (I think it’s safe to call her retired now), Patrick, and Elvis, but no Meagan and Eric.

Megan Duhamel is very pregnant so she is not in a position to jump and such. I am curious who gets the higher billing Carolina Kostner or Osmond?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Megan Duhamel is very pregnant so she is not in a position to jump and such. I am curious who gets the higher billing Carolina Kostner or Osmond?

Here's the poster, so you can decide. All skaters have the same size picture (well, the ones who are in couples have to share that same-size picture with their partner). Is Katelyn higher billing because her picture is above Carolina's, or is Carolina higher because her arm is intruding on Kaetlyn's personal space?

On last year's Thank You Canada Tour, there was really no "higher billing" that I could see. They all had plenty of ice time, there were lots of group numbers involving all the skaters, and I believe they had the same number of "solos", though I could have missed small discrepencies. I would say That Tessa and Scott are the headliners (they organized the tour, after all), but all the skaters are treated as the stars they are. All of them were received enthusiastically, even (or especially?) Elvis.

I suspect that the audiences will be more familiar with the Canadian skaters but will appreciate them all.

I will report back. I am going with my husband and neighbours, none of them figure skating fans.

---------------------
ETA

I forgot the link. Here it is:

http://rocktherink.com/

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I just found out that RTR cancelled their Cleveland show... I'm honestly devastated to hear this. This would have been my first and presumably last chance to see Tessa & Scott skate in person. The Canadian shows require far too much time and money to get to because I'd have to fly instead of drive, take time off work, etc. so they really aren't feasible. :sad21: Posting here for sympathy lol but also to let other folks know who might have been planning to see them in Cleveland! :cry:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just found out that RTR cancelled their Cleveland show... I'm honestly devastated to hear this. This would have been my first and presumably last chance to see Tessa & Scott skate in person. The Canadian shows require far too much time and money to get to because I'd have to fly instead of drive, take time off work, etc. so they really aren't feasible. :sad21: Posting here for sympathy lol but also to let other folks know who might have been planning to see them in Cleveland! :cry:

I'm in shock. All our notification email says is that it's been cancelled and we'll be getting a refund shortly. How can this be happening??? This was my one chance to see everyone on the tour and I'm absolutely devastated... and honestly? really, really, really angry.