I wanna become a professional show Skater | Golden Skate

I wanna become a professional show Skater

goldentwizzle

Spectator
Hi everybody!
I'm new to this forum. I was researching on a career after skating and I found ice shows to be something I want to do. I'm trying to find information on what technical and/or artistic elements would be the minimum requirements for someone looking to perform on ice shows but googling it returns pretty unclear answers. Would anyone here be able to provide specifics on what I would need to become a pro? (competitive level, jumps, spins, figures, etc.)

Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everybody!
I'm new to this forum. I was researching on a career after skating and I found ice shows to be something I want to do. I'm trying to find information on what technical and/or artistic elements would be the minimum requirements for someone looking to perform on ice shows but googling it returns pretty unclear answers. Would anyone here be able to provide specifics on what I would need to become a pro? (competitive level, jumps, spins, figures, etc.)

Thank you!

What level are you? Have you competed and/or tested?

joeonice

Rinkside
Hi I currently work at Busch gardens theme park show and altho we not hiring I can possibly be of some I use to perform with Disney in ice and other shows as well... what levels have tested and what’s jumps are you doing?

goldentwizzle

Spectator
I have all my doubles up to a lutz, and 2Lo combinations up to a 2F. I'm working on the 2A and 3S, but do not have consistent landings for those two. My highest spin is a semi decent flying change of foot sit spin and I am working on the gold pattern dances but not quite done yet. I haven't tested for anything beyond Juvenile FreeSkate and Junior MITF/Dance because I am working with a coach and he doesn't feel the need to test for my skills. I usually go to 1-2 competitions per season but I'm not super into competing.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have all my doubles up to a lutz, and 2Lo combinations up to a 2F. I'm working on the 2A and 3S, but do not have consistent landings for those two. My highest spin is a semi decent flying change of foot sit spin and I am working on the gold pattern dances but not quite done yet. I haven't tested for anything beyond Juvenile FreeSkate and Junior MITF/Dance because I am working with a coach and he doesn't feel the need to test for my skills. I usually go to 1-2 competitions per season but I'm not super into competing.

You may be able to get a job with a cruise line, Disney On Ice, or somewhere like the PP works, such as Busch Gardens.

I'm a current pro who retired with elite skills and resume, so my options wouldn't exactly be open to you, but I do hope you find work with something like is listed above.

I wish you all the best! Good luck!:biggrin:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I know a skater from my area who skates with Disney on Ice, she doesn't have any jumps or skills harder than you have (she did however test through Senior moves and FS). She never got a consistent 2A or 3S. However, she is a great performer and the skills she can do she can do very well. When you audition for shows they are also looking for performance quality so I would suggest also continuing to work on that- presentation and projection are skills just like jumps and spins that can always be improved upon. Good luck!

Scout

Final Flight
If Disney on Ice is something you are interested in, there are a lot of audition videos on youtube that you can look at. I know of a couple skaters that toured with Disney as part of the ensemble cast and they had a similar jumping repertoire as you.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You also need to be able to demonstrate that you are able to do all the stops in both directions/with either foot, especially if you're not an elite with a top-class competition record and resume. The more versatile you are, the more employable you are. Good luck!