Johnny Weir makes me want to throw a brick through my TV | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir makes me want to throw a brick through my TV

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Prussia is a historical region in Germany; some of my ancestors came from there.

There was also an East Prussia, which was actually a section of Poland (which had been partitioned many times in past centuries). My great great grandfather on my father's side owned a distillery in East Prussia prior to WW1.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First syllable accented. No vowel reductions, the central 'i' isn't long but short. The ř/rz sound is very hard to pronounce so just 'r' will have to do. Definitely no 'zh' sound in the middle of the word, 'z' remains 'z'.

:thank: So you you saying that Michal "Americanized" the pronunciation of his last name? To say it the Czech way would be "BRE'zin-a?

:thank: So you you saying that Michal "Americanized" the pronunciation of his last name? To say it the Czech way would be "BRE'zin-a?

That is so interesting, because I am pretty sure that Terry Gannon used to say it more or less the Czech way (and with the "i" voiced so soft that you couldn't tell if it was a separate syllable or not). But in the last two seasons he switched to the more "American" way. Evidently this was Michal's own preference.

I am pretty sure that Yuna Kim has said that she was perfectly OK with being YOO-nuh in North America. As for Eunsoo Lim, I don't think U.S. announcers will ever get it right. She says her name at the beginning of this clip; I think the closest that most U.S. Anglophones can come would be something like "En So."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBRf4zgNosI

Scott512

Record Breaker
I trust at this point everyone has been convinced how good Johnny Weir is as an analyst. I even put him ahead of Tara at this point.