Johnny Weir makes me want to throw a brick through my TV | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir makes me want to throw a brick through my TV

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
I only had the chance to listen to Johnny commentary watching some videos on YouTube, and even so I agree. But to be fair, Italian commentators can be annoying too, I'm lucky I have the chance to watch Eurosport, Max and Angelo are the best [emoji846]

onyxrose81

Rinkside
Johnny (and Tara) are annoying? News at 11. Both of them were always going to wear out their welcome.

Johnny is OK. He has his opinions, just like Dick Button did as the voice of U.S. figure skating for decades. If you say, but Johnny, that's a stupid and biased thing to say -- and anyway it's just your opinion. Well, the answer is, "Giving my opinion, that's my job."

Love him or hate him, no one is neutral. Show business gold. :yes:

icybear

Medalist
Just throw it at the speakers, the screen can live. Or maybe not when he appears on the screen with his peacock costume or whatever

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That is all.

The commentators are why the moment I located isu’s and cbc’s full events w/o commentary, I switched there. Bonus points, I do not have to see Keegan stretching instead of someone who is skating but is deemed too unimportant (and I love Keegan, I really do). Also, Nam’s Great Struggle With His Parents and Nathan’s Tale of Yale... it grows stale after the first 20 times.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I say to each their own. Johnny, Tara and Terry are a great combination. NBC, their affiliates and I would say 80% of the figure skating fans fans enjoy them. The question is who is better as an analyst Tara or Johnny? That my friends is a very tough call. :)

And Johnny speaks fluent Russian so he can tell us what's going on in the kiss and cry like he did at the Olympics with Evgenia and Eteri.

Again to each their own. Johnny has grown on me over the years and I've always enjoyed Tara in her role.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you know where you get 80% of figure skating fans number that enjoy Tara and Johnny? Particularly among their target audience in the US of A? Judging from my friends and the reaction here, I would say the number is reversed. :think:

But it doesn’t matter, because it is true NBC and their affiliates like Tara and Johnny. But I think it is because they are trying to attract *non* figure skating fans. My youngest niece knows and likes them from their Westminster appearances. All the nudging in the world from her beloved Auntie El doesn’t get her to watch FS; T & J have more of a chance :biggrin:

Sometimes I think Johnny makes sense and sometime he’s off the wall. Johnny himself can’t make up his mind on Jason, the same program performed to the same level is awesome in one commentary and not good enough in another :confused2:

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds:laugh:

But no matter how I feel about Johnny, I love the thread title.:)

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Johnny Weir is our version of TAT as a commentator. People love him or hate him, but no one can stay indifferent to him. Consider him as a weather - you can't change it, so it is easier just to accept it. Johnny is Johnny. You can't get mad at Johnny like you can't get angry at the rainy weather. There is no point. I giggle at Johnny's sass often. He is such a low-key troll.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not afraid to say I enjoy Johhny. I think he adds a lot of insight and a funny amount of sass. He’s not perfect but I like him anyway.

I say to each their own. Johnny, Tara and Terry are a great combination. NBC, their affiliates and I would say 80% of the figure skating fans fans enjoy them. ...

Do you know where you get 80% of figure skating fans number that enjoy Tara and Johnny? Particularly among their target audience in the US of A? Judging from my friends and the reaction here, I would say the number is reversed. :think:

But it doesn’t matter, because it is true NBC and their affiliates like Tara and Johnny. But I think it is because they are trying to attract *non* figure skating fans. My youngest niece knows and likes them from their Westminster appearances. …

Extreeeeeemely non-scientific, but the OP at the moment has 13 likes, and Sam's post has 17 likes.
So with major rounding, maybe something like 50% enjoy Johnny and 50% don't???

Anyway, to a more important subject: dog shows. :)

No big deal, but if "Westminster" is a reference to Westminster Dog Show, I do not think that Tara and Johnny ever have had roles there.

The National Dog Show (a different competition at a different time of year in a different city) is where they have been fixtures in recent years.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
While I dislike Johnny and Tara, I have to say Ryan Bradley leads my list for the absolute worst commentator.

He has the most grating voice in the world. The way he inflects it makes it sound like he's explaining skating to a 3 year old; really comes across as condescending.

Can he also say something other than a jump being "outside the circle"?? Or something inane about how falling is bad?

I'd much rather not listen to either but if needed I will take the annoyingly bedazzled duo than him. Can we just replace all three with Charlie, Tanith, and Ben? Tracy Wilson on American TV is quite good but insufferable on Canadian broadcasts; she can do some competitions. Keep Terry Gannon too.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why? This is strange. Johnny is awesome.

"They're the #1 pair in the US. Not like that is difficult or anything."
"How dare Keegan Messing bring out that hot mess of a Chaplin program after Hanyu just skated?" (Keegan won the silver medal behind Hanyu. I guess that isn't difficult either).

I'll listen to some more Worlds commentary and come up with some more later. I'm sure something specific he said made me want to throw a brick.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johnny is OK. He has his opinions, just like Dick Button did as the voice of U.S. figure skating for decades. If you say, but Johnny, that's a stupid and biased thing to say -- and anyway it's just your opinion. Well, the answer is, "Giving my opinion, that's my job."

Love him or hate him, no one is neutral. Show business gold. :yes:

But how could anyone hate Uncle Dick?

- - - Updated - - -

While I dislike Johnny and Tara, I have to say Ryan Bradley leads my list for the absolute worst commentator.

He has the most grating voice in the world. The way he inflects it makes it sound like he's explaining skating to a 3 year old; really comes across as condescending.

Can he also say something other than a jump being "outside the circle"?? Or something inane about how falling is bad?

I'd much rather not listen to either but if needed I will take the annoyingly bedazzled duo than him. Can we just replace all three with Charlie, Tanith, and Ben? Tracy Wilson on American TV is quite good but insufferable on Canadian broadcasts; she can do some competitions. Keep Terry Gannon too.

Yes. Ryan can say "in the conversation." And he says it A LOT. I will take Charlie, Tanith and Ben FTW!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just throw it at the speakers, the screen can live. Or maybe not when he appears on the screen with his peacock costume or whatever

I actually watch the commentary on the TV with the 19" CRT screen instead of the 55" plasma...just in case.

Manitou

Medalist
I love Johnny because he is not PC and he is funny. If he offends some so be it. Keep doing it!
Tanith and Johnny are by far my most favorite US commentators.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's strange to see people writing mean and nasty things about Johnny while complaining about him doing his job of giving his opinions. I find most of Johnny's commentary to be very insightful and positive. A few over-the-top negative comments in 5 straight years of commentary is pretty good. I think it's a case of being able to deliberately forget about some unbalanced remark about one's favorites. It's not easy to be spontaneous and interesting and positive in that role. Mostly I find Johnny to be fair and balanced, and I really appreciate that he pays attention to artistry and performance.

For the record, not everybody loved Dick Button as a commentator. I found him to be great paired with Peggy Fleming, but he had his prejudices and preferences and could be a little sharp. Peggy balanced him.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Extreeeeeemely non-scientific, but the OP at the moment has 13 likes, and Sam's post has 17 likes.
So with major rounding, maybe something like 50% enjoy Johnny and 50% don't???

Anyway, to a more important subject: dog shows. :)

No big deal, but if "Westminster" is a reference to Westminster Dog Show, I do not think that Tara and Johnny ever have had roles there.

The National Dog Show (a different competition at a different time of year in a different city) is where they have been fixtures in recent years.

Ooops :eek::
I know dog shows like my niece knows figure skating.:laugh:

ETA: and back on target, if Johnny brings more folks to skating, that’s all to the good. They can make up their own minds later as to whether he says one thing one broadcast, and another the next. And Johnny still loves the Eagles, so he clearly has great taste in football teams:biggrin:

Last edited: