Johnny Weir makes me want to throw a brick through my TV | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir makes me want to throw a brick through my TV

temadd

Final Flight
Johnny can be intelligent and informative and the in the next second say something hurtful and catty. He doesn't have to be %100 diplomatic all the time but some of his comments make him sound like a pompous you know what. All I ask is that criticism is constructive.

Tara can also be informative but not very well-spoken and often just repeats what Johnny said previously. She needs to expand her vocabulary. "So good" is not a very descriptive way to comment on a program when you're getting paid to do it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's strange to see people writing mean and nasty things about Johnny while complaining about him doing his job of giving his opinions. I find most of Johnny's commentary to be very insightful and positive. A few over-the-top negative comments in 5 straight years of commentary is pretty good. I think it's a case of being able to deliberately forget about some unbalanced remark about one's favorites. It's not easy to be spontaneous and interesting and positive in that role. Mostly I find Johnny to be fair and balanced, and I really appreciate that he pays attention to artistry and performance.

For the record, not everybody loved Dick Button as a commentator. I found him to be great paired with Peggy Fleming, but he had his prejudices and preferences and could be a little sharp. Peggy balanced him.

There's a way to give your opinions without being mean and nasty about it. Tanith, Charlie, Ben, Tonia Kwiatkowski, he who shall not be named...all very good at finding something to compliment about each skater while still being able to talk about their weaknesses.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Johnny because he is not PC and he is funny. If he offends some so be it. Keep doing it!
Tanith and Johnny are by far my most favorite US commentators.

As far as I'm concerned being "PC" is synonymous with "being polite." I would agree he is impolite. Honestly, I can't think of a single sport outside of figure skating where his type of commentary would be tolerated. I watch a LOT OF gymnastics (way more than figure skating, because there is way more gymnastics to watch) and no one acts like that. Actually Tanith has been commentating a lot of gymnastics lately. With football they want to pretend the game is close even if it's not, so if there's a team losing by a lot they usually try to pretend they can get back in it. Maybe curling or something I just totally don't watch has rude commentators.

Amei

Record Breaker
karne approves this thread title. Such a bitter, catty, nasty commentator.

Both he and Tara can get pretty catty; I get the impression that it's more about them as commentators and their brands vs. what we are seeing on the ice. Can we get Scott, Sandra and Terry to do the commentary? Tara and Johnny remind me of the mean girls from junior high - they feed off of each other; perhaps if NBC broke them up it would be better.

A lot of times when they've been commentating I forego the NBC coverage and wait to watch the performances on Youtube.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tara can also be informative but not very well-spoken and often just repeats what Johnny said previously. She needs to expand her vocabulary. "So good" is not a very descriptive way to comment on a program when you're getting paid to do it.

It's better than "Give it to me, Nathan."

Scott512

Record Breaker
Do you know where you get 80% of figure skating fans number that enjoy Tara and Johnny? Particularly among their target audience in the US of A? Judging from my friends and the reaction here, I would say the number is reversed. :think:

But it doesn’t matter, because it is true NBC and their affiliates like Tara and Johnny. But I think it is because they are trying to attract *non* figure skating fans. My youngest niece knows and likes them from their Westminster appearances. All the nudging in the world from her beloved Auntie El doesn’t get her to watch FS; T & J have more of a chance :biggrin:

Sometimes I think Johnny makes sense and sometime he’s off the wall. Johnny himself can’t make up his mind on Jason, the same program performed to the same level is awesome in one commentary and not good enough in another :confused2:

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds:laugh:

But no matter how I feel about Johnny, I love the thread title.:)

Where do I get it? My knowledge. These three have been the lead announcers in America for a few years because they are that good and they're going to be there for many more years so I would say to your friends try to adjust and enjoy them as much as you can.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You don't like curling???!!! :eeking:

It's ice skating and shuffleboard all rolled into one -- what's not to like? :)

I can't watch all the sports I want to watch. I watch a lot of swimming, because I'm a swimmer and it helps to see what good swimmers are doing. I watch a ton of gymnastics because I like it, same with figure skating. I watch football in the fall, the occasional horse race, and I don't have time for anything else. I don't have time for all the tv I would like to watch either - there are lots of really good shows I just don't have time for. So after we figure out how to fit 48 hours in a day, maybe I will watch curling. Heck I haven't even started watching WTT yet and there are tons of NCAA gymnastics post season meets I have recorded but have yet to get to.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But how could anyone hate Uncle Dick?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. Ryan can say "in the conversation." And he says it A LOT. I will take Charlie, Tanith and Ben FTW!

OMG..I just heard Tara say "in the conversation..." Nooo!

meem

On the Ice
You bet it's more about them as commentators & their brands vs the skaters & what they're accomplishing (or not) on the ice. And don't get me started on when Johnny adoringly announces Rrrrrrrussian names (I notice he doesn't get into the Italian accent when he's announcing a skater from Italy, or that sweet Svenska accent when introducing a skater from Sweden, etc., etc., etc.) The two of them look ridiculous in their OTT outfits (esp JW). I wish NBC would drop them and bring on Tanith, Ben and Charlie to work with Terry (Scott & Sandra commentated for many years & are now retired).

Both he and Tara can get pretty catty; I get the impression that it's more about them as commentators and their brands vs. what we are seeing on the ice. Can we get Scott, Sandra and Terry to do the commentary? Tara and Johnny remind me of the mean girls from junior high - they feed off of each other; perhaps if NBC broke them up it would be better.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish NBC would drop them and bring on Tanith, Ben and Charlie to work with Terry (Scott & Sandra commentated for many years & are now retired).

Yes, but did they retire because they wanted to retire or because NBC booted them?

katymay

Medalist
Not afraid to say I enjoy Johhny. I think he adds a lot of insight and a funny amount of sass. He’s not perfect but I like him anyway.

I like them both as well. Also still like Scotty, and am happy to see him add to the conversation.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... (Scott & Sandra commentated for many years & are now retired).

… Also still like Scotty, and am happy to see him add to the conversation.

Yes, Scott continued to appear on air for the NBC group in other capacities -- after the network displaced him from the lead analyst role (or whatever the now-Tara/Johnny role is called).

As recently as 2018 OWG, Scott and Tanith co-anchored a daily figure skating show on NBCSN (iirc?).

I don't know one way or the other whether Scott was seen on NBC air for 2018 Skate America, 2019 Nats, and/or 2019 Four Continents? But katymay's comment suggests that he was.

:laugh15:
Great answer! Great answer!

Here is the perfect answer to the question,"How do you know that?"

"Oh, it's just one of the many things I know." :)

:laugh: :devil: :hap93:

chanchan

On the Ice
Tara: Look at the jump, so good. :palmf:

Look at the technical score. Only 2/3/4(or whatever number) jumps passed, she/he has already scored ... points.:slink: