Johnny Weir makes me want to throw a brick through my TV | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir makes me want to throw a brick through my TV

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, I can't think of a single sport outside of figure skating where his type of commentary would be tolerated.

Johnny Miller and his golf commentary can become quite the spectacle :laugh:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Can we all at least agree to hate commentators who won't SHUT UP during a skater's performance?! :curse:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
You mean like Johnny and Tara and at times Terry?!?

Honestly, it's most of the fs commentators! Sometimes they know better, sometimes they don't. Regardless of what they are saying, it is annoying to me :disagree:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will record the World FS Champ coverage by J and T on Sunday, noon to 3p in Spokane on NBC and make a final decision on the anoyance factor....But if he says one more unkind thing about my Rika, he gets blasted! :rofl:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's a way to give your opinions without being mean and nasty about it. Tanith, Charlie, Ben, Tonia Kwiatkowski, he who shall not be named...all very good at finding something to compliment about each skater while still being able to talk about their weaknesses.

Oh, I agree. I absolutely love Charlie's, Tanith's, Ben Agosto's, Kurt Browning's commentary for that very reason. Also the late John Coughlin's and my B.Esp. commentators. At his best, Johnny does exactly that.

I just don't understand being mean and nasty when complaining about someone being mean and nasty. This thread title is mean, and it makes me sad.

Of course, you're entitled to express your opinion any way you like. There's clearly an audience for it.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I miss Sandra Bezic and Mr Button.

Interestingly, I think 2006 Olympics is the only time they actually comentated together. That event is a very intriguing one in the history of skating, I think about it a lot. The first Olympics to use CoP, but the skaters were still skating mainly like it was the 6.0 system, in terms of overall approach. A lot of really beautiful new moves came about because of the system changing, although at the same time, some of the spins and spirals were a mess because of the new rules and people not being able to adjust.

The footwork sequences from 2006 were especially notable. Far more musical and fluid and creative than how awful the footwork has become these days, but with more content than was sometimes seen in late-era 6.0 footwork.

The commentary has definitely become worse. I very much miss Dick Button’s attention to detail and keen understanding of both the technical and the artistry, calling out trash when he saw trash.

tral

Match Penalty
The footwork sequences from 2006 were especially notable. Far more musical and fluid and creative than how awful the footwork has become these days, but with more content than was sometimes seen in late-era 6.0 footwork.

Sasha Cohen's R&J :love:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But how could anyone hate Uncle Dick?

I almost did when he trashed Plushy's 2006 Olympic performances...but in the end I just shrugged my shoulders and wondered what he was watching :laugh: (Compared to the Aussie commentators and the British ES guys the NBC guys really must have been watching something else!) He was often tough on Plushy actually...hated the armography, my favourite part! But somehow Dick is still charming.

I haven't actually listened to Johnny and Tara's commentary to be honest, I do enjoy their Instagrams though.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Plushenko’s inbetween skating was seriously lacking in his 2006 program. Compare it to how he skated the previous season (same music) and it’s very apparent how he watered down the program. He took the transitions more seriously in the 2004-2005 season, but then after coming back from injury he totally ignored them.

Dick didn’t criticize Plushenko’s arm movements themselves, he said they were mesmerizing, it was just the rest of the program that had issues. The other commentators were much less knowledgeable, they were the ones who didn’t examine the program critically, focusing only on the jumps and overall flashiness. Chris Howarth on Eurosport does generally know a good amount, but has his own blindspots still and usually lets Simon Reed take the forefront with the commentary. I enjoy Simon’s excitement and forthrightness, but he isn’t a skater and has a more shallow understanding. The sad thing is that Simon’s opinion is usually better than the judges’ who are giving out the scores.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Honestly, it's most of the fs commentators! Sometimes they know better, sometimes they don't. Regardless of what they are saying, it is annoying to me :disagree:

I think I got to watch one of the competitions with Russian coverage, I think it was Minsk? And, whoah, the moment the skater took the starting pose, they stopped talking, and maintained radio silence for the skate’s duration. I was impressed out of my mind after the Canadian continuing coverage of the previous skater half way through the next skate. Gods, that’s super annoying!

Re all-time ridiculous commentating teams, I guess there are not too many of us U.S. football fans still around who remember the menagerie of Howard Cosell, Dandy Don Meredith and (straightman) Frank Gifford. The comedy kings of useless trivia, cornball jokes and mindless rants. :laugh:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just don't understand being mean and nasty when complaining about someone being mean and nasty. This thread title is mean, and it makes me sad.

Of course, you're entitled to express your opinion any way you like. There's clearly an audience for it.

I truly wasn't going for "mean and nasty." It makes me sad that it would come off that way, actually. It was meant to be funny. I have a "different" sense of humor and I guess it doesn't come across well at times. Especially in print.

- - - Updated - - -

Re all-time ridiculous commentating teams, I guess there are not too many of us U.S. football fans still around who remember the menagerie of Howard Cosell, Dandy Don Meredith and (straightman) Frank Gifford. The comedy kings of useless trivia, cornball jokes and mindless rants. :laugh:

Come on, I remember them and I'm only 52. I hope to be still around for at least a while longer!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

Seconded. I appreciate Johnny’s commentary (I’m of the opinion that it’s not a commentator’s job to always be nice) but I understand he’s not everyone’s cup of tea. That being said, the bulk of this thread seems so petty and meanspirited (ironically, the same things which seem to be a point of contention with Johnny).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interestingly, I think 2006 Olympics is the only time they actually comentated together. That event is a very intriguing one in the history of skating, I think about it a lot. The first Olympics to use CoP, but the skaters were still skating mainly like it was the 6.0 system, in terms of overall approach. A lot of really beautiful new moves came about because of the system changing, although at the same time, some of the spins and spirals were a mess because of the new rules and people not being able to adjust.

The commentary has definitely become worse. I very much miss Dick Button’s attention to detail and keen understanding of both the technical and the artistry, calling out trash when he saw trash.

I miss great footwork sequences SO MUCH. But footwork sequences are worth pretty much nothing in the COP. I hope they fix that someday. It is all about quads. Some skaters can't do a quad. Some can't do great footwork sequences. But a person can easily win things with tons of quads and pretty much nothing else.