Interview with Daniel Gleyhengauz | Golden Skate

Interview with Daniel Gleyhengauz

Orlov

Medalist
I tried to translate the most interesting parts into interview with Daniil Gleyhengauz (choreographer in the group Eteri Tutberidze). I apologize in advance for the quality of the translation.

Q: Which season is more difficult - Olympic or post-Olympic?
A: Last season we had more responsibility, but emotionally this season was more difficult - we were like a roller coaster.

After EC Alina was inspired to work, the next 2 weeks of training were just wonderful, a few days before FСR (Medvedeva vs Tuktik) we showed to federation the Alina's FP and she was perfect. But closer to the WC again begun the difficult - Alina started unnecessary thoughts, doubts. Began to arise mistakes in training, she became more insecure - it was like a snowball, she began miss training sometimes.

This year Alina had a pronounced teenage psychology - she wants to say "Yes", says "No" and vice versa. There was a teenage desire to contradict. Talking about Alina's withdrawal from WC was a psychological trick on our part, we decided to go from the opposite - to get a "Yes", we told her "No".

But when we came to Japan, we felt that everything would be fine, we felt Alina's confidence, we felt that her spirit was - she came to win.

Q: What can you say about Kostomarov's words? (that it is better for Alina to leave now at the peak of her results) Alina will skate next season?
A: We didn't even talk to her about it, just because there was no need for it - after returning from Japan, she came to training as usual and worked as usual. And while Alina was in Japan, she wrote me that she already wants to come back to start training.

At the end of the season, we reduce the physical load on the athlete, skaters do on the ice, what they want - Sasha Trusova, for example, almost only jumps.
Q: does Sasha not like to spin, slide?
A: She doesn't hide it (Daniil laughs). But we are well aware that next season our juniors go to senior. So in training camp we're going to make a serious accent on the PCS on the spins and so on. That judges didn't perceive them as juniors, and didn't lower them the PCS.

About 3A. Q: I heard that Alina will also have to learn 3A?
A: No, I haven't heard about it (laughs). There is nothing mandatory - it's a difficult jump, someone can go, someone does not. If a person does not have enough ability, of course we will not require 3A. But yes, now we are trying to move in this direction. While we do it mostly with a "fishing rod"[I don't know what they call it in English so I translated it directly]. Anya and Sasha do it every day. Alena just came out recently after the injury and she don't learn 3A.

About Kostornaya. We told her not to jump for a while, just to skate. But after one or two trainings she began to secretly jump. If a some person wants to do, you can't stop it. But of course we noticed this at some point, insisted that she did not jump and comply with the instructions of the doctors.

About transition to Tutberidze. Q: Were there any difficulties when you joined Tutberidze's team in 2014? Did you have to get used to it?
A: We probably immediately liked each other in some features and it helped to get used to the new place. But most importantly, our main point of connection was that Eteri works for the result, for the maximum, and gives all herself to work. I saw my future coaching career the same way. At that moment transition to Tutberidze was financially unprofitable to me (now everything is good) - I then already not bad earned in show, in private trainings, and to the young trainer at the state work pay not so much. But it was interesting to me, I was ready then though to work free of charge. Because I saw a long perspective, I saw that there was already a team - Dudakov, Zheleznyakov. Plus... they're all such good people (laughs sheepishly).

Q: Are there situations when you disagree with each other? Who has the final say?
A: For Eteri of course - she is a head coach. But we are talking, listen to each other, come to compromises.

Mother Daniel (former ballerina) Lyudmila Borisovna Shaposhnikova came to the team a year after Daniel - the old choreographer left and he offered her candidacy. She and Eteri Georgievna have a close relationship.

Q: Any new ideas for next season?
A: Yes, but I won't talk yet.
Q: Some predict that Alina will be Esmeralda.
A: Definitely not. This season (laughs) I am full of comments that I choose music from "Golden Fund of figure skating".
Q: So we wait for something new?
A: Yes, as for Alina, it will definitely be something new.

I almost all the time have to listen to music professionally for the production of programs and search for ideas. Only October, November, December and January I listen to music not professional only for the soul. Favorite band - "Coldplay"

Q: Let's play the game "the most.... in your group". The noisiest one in the group?
A: Of course Alena Kostornaya. Because she talks endlessly and she has a cute squeaky voice that is heard from everywhere :laugh: Here, Daniel parodies her. :rofl:
Q: The most stubborn?
A: Of course Sasha Trusova. If you do not stop her, she can jump to blue in the face. Then she will come and do like this (Daniil shows a gesture) - "my whole body hurts", but still she will be happy.:laugh2:
Q: The biggest sweet tooth?
A: Alina Zagitova :biggrin: I think even the word "chocolate" already sounds sweet to her.
Q: The most fashionista?
A: Eteri Georgievna.
Q: The most emotional?
A: Outside the ice is Alena Kostornaya, on the ice is Alina - she always is very emotional on the ice. If something succeeds out, she is very happy, if not she is very upset. When the Japanese made documentaries, we always worried at those moments when she cries after failures - “Well, thanks Alina, now everyone will think that we are so evil and bad:)” Although it just Alina reacts very emotionally - laughed head off or in one second she can cry, because her upset the jump "Bad, bad flip!" :laugh: But of course it's great when a person is so emotional about what she is doing.
Q: Who offers their own ideas most during the production of programs?
A: Probably it will be Moris, because it seems to me that he always tries to make the most convenient program for himself (Daniel laughs) and offers what he likes and easy for him. But seriously, all our girls always trust us and it's just easier for them - when everything was invented for them and they just need to learn.

Interviewer's comment - I witnessed how the trainer from your group said to the girl "when you landed 2A, your little finger was crooked" :laugh::laugh:

The most ideal skate Sasha's FP was at the junior championship of Russia. She skated so well that I didn’t even want to make any comments to her. We just told her that it was brilliant.

While watching the video from open skates, where Alina fell, Daniil said that Alina has an important quality - she never gives up during unsuccessful skate, does not simplify the choreography - we both remember (the interviewer girl is also a former figure skater with whom Daniil trained together as a child), as after the falls hands down and literally want to leave the rink, not to the subtleties of choreography. Alina always does not give up until the very end.

Interviewer's - Now there will be questions from the fans sent to us.
Daniil: "The first question - are you able to pronounce your own last name?":biggrin:
Q: The happiest day of your life?
A: There were many of them. I could not choose a separate day. Some moments were associated with figure skating, some with personal life.
Q: There were a lot of questions related to Zhenya. But I will formulate them in the form of one question - "Does Daniil communicate with Zhenya?"
A: We say "hello" at competitions, but no more.
Q: What does Daniil Markovich like in addition to figure skating?
A: I try to get involved in everything. I follow the news, I watch ALL kinds of sports, especially I love football. Films, shows or visit some exhibition. I try to use every second of my free time for my own development.
Q: What was shocking that you read about yourself on the Internet?
A: What I am gay swindler :shocked:
Q: Which city do you remember and like?
A: Tokyo made the most impression on me. This is my favorite city at the moment. Also this year really enjoyed in Vancouver. Because there is a combination of city and nature.
Q: Describe yourself in one word
A: Creation
Q: Do people on the street recognize you?
A: Usually of course not, but during the WC in Japan, I was recognized two or three times. It was very pleasant.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I can try to give it a shot and to translate it in full in few days when I get less busy at work...

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Thank you so so much for the translation! I was looking at the video and the channel gave timestamps for the questions discussed, and according to the translation, one of them said they talked about surprises for the show in Krasnodor. Do you happen to remember what that was about? If not thats ok, and thanks again for translating! The translation is great.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Thank you for the translation. And Daniil's immitation of Alyona was absolutely hilarious :rofl:

Also, from the way he speaks about the skaters you can see Daniil really likes all, it's so heart-warming. :luv17:

lusk8

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for your translation Orlov.

This is hard work and I appreciate your efforts to bring Daniil’s words and thoughts to all of us non-Russian speaking fans.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Really nice and informative interview.

Host and guest know and respect each other, which always makes for good conversation.

Dudakov is probably the most reserved of all the top level Khrustalniy trainers, but it would be interesting to hear his voice and opinion on many things figure skating, his other interests and life in general.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Really nice and informative interview.

Host and guest know and respect each other, which always makes for good conversation.

Dudakov is probably the most reserved of all the top level Khrustalniy trainers, but it would be interesting to hear his voice and opinion on many things figure skating.

Dudakov is the state secret of Russia. You will not get it.:noshake:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I tried to translate the most interesting parts in to interview with Daniil Gleyhengauz (choreographer in the group Eteri Tutberidze). I apologize in advance for the quality of the translation.

Q: Which season is more difficult - Olympic or post-Olympic?
A: Last season we had more responsibility, but emotionally this season was more difficult - we were like a roller coaster.

After EC Alina was inspired to work, the next 2 weeks of training were just wonderful, a few days before FСR (Medvedeva vs Tuktik) we showed to federation the Alina's FP and she was perfect. But closer to the WC again begun the difficult - Alina started unnecessary thoughts, doubts. Began to arise mistakes in training, she became more insecure - it was like a snowball, she began miss training sometimes.

This year Alina had a pronounced teenage psychology - she wants to say "Yes", says "No" and vice versa. There was a teenage desire to contradict. Talking about Alina's withdrawal from WC was a psychological trick on our part, we decided to go from the opposite - to get a "Yes", we told her "No".

But when we came to Japan, we felt that everything would be fine, we felt Alina's confidence, we felt that her spirit was - she came to win.

Q: What can you say about Kostomarov's words? (that it is better for Alina to leave now at the peak of her results) Alina will skate next season?
A: We didn't even talk to her about it, just because there was no need for it - after returning from Japan, she came to training as usual and worked as usual. And while Alina was in Japan, she wrote me that she already wants to come back to start training.

At the end of the season, we reduce the physical load on the athlete, skaters do on the ice, what they want - Sasha Trusova, for example, almost only jumps.
Q: does Sasha not like to spin, slide?
A: She doesn't hide it (Daniil laughs). But we are well aware that next season our juniors go to senior. So in training camp we're going to make a serious accent on the PCS on the spins and so on. That judges didn't perceive them as juniors, and didn't lower them the PCS.

About 3A. Q: I heard that Alina will also have to learn 3A?
A: No, I haven't heard about it (laughs). There is nothing mandatory - it's a difficult jump, someone can go, someone does not. If a person does not have enough ability, of course we will not require 3A. But yes, now we are trying to move in this direction. While we do it mostly with a "fishing rod"[I don't know what they call it in English so I translated it directly]. Anya and Sasha do it every day. Alena just came out recently after the injury and she don't learn 3A.

About Kostornaya. We told her not to jump for a while, just to skate. But after one or two trainings she began to secretly jump. If a some person wants to do, you can't stop it. But of course we noticed this at some point, insisted that she did not jump and comply with the instructions of the doctors.

About transition to Tutberidze. Q: Were there any difficulties when you joined Tutberidze's team in 2014? Did you have to get used to it?
A: We probably immediately liked each other in some features and it helped to get used to the new place. But most importantly, our main point of connection was that Eteri works for the result, for the maximum, and gives all herself to work. I saw my future coaching career the same way. At that moment transition to Tutberidze was financially unprofitable to me (now everything is good) - I then already not bad earned in show, in private trainings, and to the young trainer at the state work pay not so much. But it was interesting to me, I was ready then though to work free of charge. Because I saw a long perspective, I saw that there was already a team - Dudakov, Zheleznyakov. Plus... they're all such good people (laughs sheepishly).

Q: Are there situations when you disagree with each other? Who has the final say?
A: For Eteri of course - she is a head coach. But we are talking, listen to each other, come to compromises.

Mother Daniel (former ballerina) Lyudmila Borisovna Shaposhnikova came to the team a year after Daniel - the old choreographer left and he offered her candidacy. She and Eteri Georgievna have a close relationship.

Q: Any new ideas for next season?
A: Yes, but I won't talk yet.
Q: Some predict that Alina will be Esmeralda.
A: Definitely not. This season (laughs) I am full of comments that I choose music from "Golden Fund of figure skating".
Q: So we wait for something new?
A: Yes, as for Alina, it will definitely be something new.

I almost all the time have to listen to music professionally for the production of programs and search for ideas. Only October, November, December and January I listen to music not professional only for the soul. Favorite band - "Coldplay"

Q: Let's play the game "the most.... in your group". The noisiest one in the group?
A: Of course Alena Kostornaya. Because she talks endlessly and she has a cute squeaky voice that is heard from everywhere :laugh: Here, Daniel parodies her. :rofl:
Q: The most stubborn?
A: Of course Sasha Trusova. If you do not stop her, she can jump to blue in the face. Then she will come and do like this (Daniil shows a gesture) - "my whole body hurts", but still she will be happy.:laugh2:
Q: The biggest sweet tooth?
A: Alina Zagitova :biggrin: I think even the word "chocolate" already sounds sweet to her.
Q: The most fashionista?
A: Eteri Georgievna.
Q: The most emotional?
A: Outside the ice is Alena Kostornaya, on the ice is Alina - she always is very emotional on the ice. If something succeeds out, she is very happy, if not she is very upset. When the Japanese made documentaries, we always worried at those moments when she cries after failures - “Well, thanks Alina, now everyone will think that we are so evil and bad:)” Although it just Alina reacts very emotionally - laughed head off or in one second she can cry, because her upset the jump "Bad, bad flip!" :laugh: But of course it's great when a person is so emotional about what she is doing.
Q: Who offers their own ideas most during the production of programs?
A: Probably it will be Moris, because it seems to me that he always tries to make the most convenient program for himself (Daniel laughs) and offers what he likes and easy for him. But seriously, all our girls always trust us and it's just easier for them - when everything was invented for them and they just need to learn.

Interviewer's comment - I witnessed how the trainer from your group said to the girl "when you landed 2A, your little finger was crooked" :laugh::laugh:

The most ideal skate Sasha's FP was at the junior championship of Russia. She skated so well that I didn’t even want to make any comments to her. We just told her that it was brilliant.

While watching the video from open skates, where Alina fell, Daniil said that Alina has an important quality - she never gives up during unsuccessful skate, does not simplify the choreography - we both remember (the interviewer girl is also a former figure skater with whom Daniil trained together as a child), as after the falls hands down and literally want to leave the rink, not to the subtleties of choreography. Alina always does not give up until the very end.

Interviewer's - Now there will be questions from the fans sent to us.
Daniil: "The first question - are you able to pronounce your own last name?":biggrin:
Q: The happiest day of your life?
A: There were many of them. I could not choose a separate day. Some moments were associated with figure skating, some with personal life.
Q: There were a lot of questions related to Zhenya. But I will formulate them in the form of one question - "Does Daniil communicate with Zhenya?"
A: We say "hello" at competitions, but no more.
Q: What does Daniil Markovich like in addition to figure skating?
A: I try to get involved in everything. I follow the news, I watch ALL kinds of sports, especially I love football. Films, shows or visit some exhibition. I try to use every second of my free time for my own development.
Q: What was shocking that you read about yourself on the Internet?
A: What I am gay swindler :shocked:
Q: Which city do you remember and like?
A: Tokyo made the most impression on me. This is my favorite city at the moment. Also this year really enjoyed in Vancouver. Because there is a combination of city and nature.
Q: Describe yourself in one word
A: Creation
Q: Do people on the street recognize you?
A: Usually of course not, but during the WC in Japan, I was recognized two or three times. It was very pleasant.
nice interview I enjoyed it very much.

pearly

Record Breaker

I think this team is so full of BS. If this was a reverse psychology trick to get Alina to train, why was it made public? There was something every single competition. A trip, an injury, a possible withdrawal.

Finley

Record Breaker
Life is like that sometimes. Bad stuff happens and keeps happening. It’s always something. Why not talk about it? Everyone can relate to getting through tough times.

pearly

Record Breaker
Life is like that sometimes. Bad stuff happens and keeps happening. It’s always something. Why not talk about it? Everyone can relate to getting through tough times.

And some times it's made up stuff and propaganda.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this team is so full of BS. If this was a reverse psychology trick to get Alina to train, why was it made public? There was something every single competition. A trip, an injury, a possible withdrawal.

Lol...you think they are making up that Alina became a drama teenager (who always says No even if she should wants to say Yes) or that they thought they had to use pscychological tricks to get the best out of Alina at WC. I’ve witnessed a few coaching struggles where coaches are telling me they are fed up with their student’s behavior and try a bunch of tactics to get them back on track. I don’t find any of this unusual to be honest. Here in the US you see this stuff too and often it’s even more frequently between coaches and parents. :slink:

I agree we often see measured responses from this team but considering some of the hysteria and conspiracy theories you’ll find on social media platforms or even in the press about them I can understand why they might try to shape it.

sx98423

On the Ice

What does reverse psychology have to do with making things public? They're not mutually exclusive lol

pearly

Record Breaker
Lol...you think they are making up that Alina became a drama teenager (who always says No even if she should wants to say Yes) or that they thought they had to use pscychological tricks to get the best out of Alina at WC. I’ve witnessed a few coaching struggles where coaches are telling me they are fed up with their student’s behavior and try a bunch of tactics to get them back on track. I don’t find any of this unusual to be honest. Here in the US you see this stuff too and often it’s even more frequently between coaches and parents. :slink:

I agree we often see measured responses from this team but considering some of the hysteria and conspiracy theories you’ll find on social media platforms or even in the press about them I can understand why they might try to shape it.

What I am saying is: here they say it was reverse psychology. Right after Worlds they say they were thinking about withdrawing and make it sound as if they actually were.

My question is - which is it.

pearly

Record Breaker
And sometimes people just can't accept the results.

Yeah, some people can’t and you have no idea which skaters I like or even care about. But when I see, read or hear BS, I call it out no matter which camp it’s coming from.