Most Improved Skaters for the 2018-19 Season. | Golden Skate

Most Improved Skaters for the 2018-19 Season.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Who are your skaters you thought that had the biggest improvements this season? Skaters that had been struggling or needing more confidence in previous seasons and this year they totally amazed us!

2 standouts for me would be Matteo Rizzo for men's, he's getting better, a sublime SP at the recent worlds and showing he wants to join the big names!

Second would be Little Elizabet! A great move going back to Eteri and after a few stumbles early in the season, she brought it home with being the first ladies in seniors to successfully land a quad and earned herself a silver at the recents worlds.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Kevin Aymoz for me!! I'll say he really was not on my radar at all in previous years, but he seemed to kind of burst onto the scene this season! I LOVE his short program, and even though his jumps can be a little wild, he just seems to have a really unique energy that's so different to a lot of skaters at the moment! Excited for his programs next season!

Vincent Zhou for sure! His skating skills have improved tremendously and I'm glad he's finally getting the scores he deserved. Managed to eliminate his URs in 1 season. That's really impressive for someone so young!

Merjan

On the Ice
Matteo Rizzo surely. I'm really happy about that. And Kevin Aymoz, great programs this year. Boikova / Kozlovskii in pairs. Turkkila / Versluis have done well this season, I have to mention this as I'm from Finland.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Kaori Sakamoto made a really impressive leap in her artistry this year. The contrast between her programs last season and this season is pretty noticeable, and the growth in her PCS this year was well-earned through hard work with Benoit Richaud.

die Wolke

Rinkside
Agree with Matteo and Kaori, and want to add Shoma. What he did today was really impressive! Especially if remember, that he had little time to train it.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I started being a fan of Matteo Rizzo last year, and he has improved so much this year. Third at Europeans and winning the Universiade. Kudo's! Vincent Zhao also...after all the negativity about his underrotations, he really got so much better culminating in a bronze medal at Worlds while his FS at the WTT was really fantastic. Kevin Amoz obviously, I'd never even heard of him before but this year he was spectacular, even if he's not alway succesful in his jumps. With the ladies both Sophia and Rika are the ones I noticed as improving rather a lot, while Kaori is also on my list of much improved skaters. Vanessa and Morgan were pretty impressive too, even though there was not a World's medal (except for a small one) this year, and they did get one last year. Still, winning the GPF at your debut is quite a feat, and winning European's was a dream come true. With regard to Ice Dance Nikita and Victoria showed the most improvements in my view, although I did think that they got scored too high sometimes. But the improvement was obvious to anyone I should think, and they definitely deserved their silvers.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The first people that came to my mind were Rika and Elizabet. They, along with Vincent, outperformed most people's expectations this season.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Fear/Gibson, Kevin Aymoz and Matteo Rizzo are the standouts for me.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
conrad orzel.... still some work to do but his skating skills and jumping technique have really improved

lil bet ... more consistent, more confident

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Tursynbaeva - I thought these programs were a great fit for her. It also seems that returning home to her family and a coach whose style suits her really allowed her to shine.

Medvedeva - Sort of odd to have a two-time World Champ and very recent Olympic medalist on here but it fits. She had a really interesting arc from her nervy skates at Autumn Classic and Skate Canada to her triumphant shout after her free program at Worlds. Homegirl has been through it this season.

Tuktamysheva - It was nice to see her have a great season after years of being in the weeds and I'm so glad she's getting to end it at WTT after illness and circumstance took her out of Worlds.

Honorable mentions: Mariah Bell, Kevin Aymoz, James/Cipres (their Worlds results may not have bested last year but their entire season was so strong)

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Medvedeva - Sort of odd to have a two-time World Champ and very recent Olympic medalist on here but it fits. She had a really interesting arc from her nervy skates at Autumn Classic and Skate Canada to her triumphant shout after her free program at Worlds. Homegirl has been through it this season.

lol, just no :drama:
You can't call HUGE REGRESS from her previous season's form - as "improvement". Even if she was better at the end of the season - it's not improvement. It's just saving her reputation (mostly by judges, btw) and nothing more. I am stiil very surprised by change of local narrative concerning Medvedeva - if you compare it to previous seasons. She was getting so much hate here (and love in Russia) then - when she was strong. Now it's a complete reverse - just by changing her couch to a canadian. She is getting so much praise here (and hate in Russia) - when she is much weaker.
I wonder why is that? :scratch3: Doesn't it seem somewhat unnatural? :unsure:

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
For me, it's like this:

- ladies: Lil'Bet, Liza, Sofia, Rika and Bradie

- men: Rizzo and Brezina

- pairs: Boikova/Kozlovskii and the style change for Zabiyako/Enbert

- dance: Sin/Kats and Fear/Gibson

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Kaori in artistry. Her two programs are gems.
Tursynbaeva in tech. Harder layout with quad and all combinations as the three last jumping passes. And better consistency.
Samodurova is basically the same as last year but i want to praise her never seen consistency. No falls in entire season. Only one or two visual mistakes in all international competitions. Not Medvedeva or Miyahara had this level of consistency in their first senior season. I think this season only Mihara comes close.

AkikoNana

Rinkside
Agree with Sofia! In WTT she wasn’t at her best form but she delivered two good programs without any fall...impressive!

deneb

On the Ice
No one improved as much as Marina Piredda did.
She started the season at JGP Canada scoring 40.11+81.66=121.77 (and that was her level) and she ended at WTT scoring 60.33+120.22=180.55.
Nothing else to say.