Makeup for First Show | Golden Skate

Makeup for First Show

g8rsara

Rinkside
Hi! I’m an adult skater, just past 40, and have been skating for a year. I am participating in my first show next month, the so ring show at my rink. I know I don’t need to go all out or over do it, my performance clocks in at just over a minute, but when practicing in even mild amounts of makeup, my waterproof mascara leaves rings under my eyes and I always have a sweaty face so my normal foundation isn’t even worth thinking about. I still would like to look nicer then my normal red, sweaty practice face while on the ice haha.

Does anyone have any favorite brands or items they have used for a show or competition? I might start Compete USA this year so might as well start collecting things as I go along, so suggestions for any and everything happily accepted-lipsticks, mascara, foundation, eyeshadow, whatever you got!

I’m handy with makeup normally, but not used to a sweat /makeup combo, so any tips on application appreciated as well!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm a musician and discovered the hard way that even my normal "waterproof" mascara went walkabout under stage lighting. Had to change several products to make my usual look work on stage.

Mascara - Benefit "They're Real". Stays put no matter what. Marvellous stuff.

Eyeliner - Marcelle waterproof eyeliner. Comes in a lovely "Mulberry" shade, as well as brown, blue, charcoal grey (also good) and black.

Foundation - I don't like normal foundations but I use mineral powder. Used to use BareMinerals but have just switched to AngelFace, as I love their eco-friendly packaging and the fact they are a Cornish company, based not too far from me. If you want to stay matte, both companies have products to help with that. Benefit also do a "Pore-Fessional" powder, which is supposed to stop shine. My niece swears by it and she's a roller derby player, who gets extremely red in the face at the slightest exertion.

To counteract redness, you can use a green-based product. Looks and sounds a bit weird but works a treat.

Don't worry too much, though. The thing with skating is that spectators tend to be watching either your feet or the overall effect of your performance rather than scrutinising your face for smudges or mascara or a shiny nose. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I get very red-faced too...

I use a mattifying primer, then stick foundation over the top, then powder foundation over that. I've never had a problem with waterproof mascara staying on, so that's a bit weird...lipstick I have a few different types, something a bit reddish will probably stand out a bit more.

As WednesdayMarch says, though, no-one's gonna see your face up close, so not that many people will notice small dark smudges.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Mascara - Benefit "They're Real". Stays put no matter what. Marvellous stuff.

Seconded. That stuff won't budge. I'd also go for a powder foundation or something clay-based like Tarte's Amazonian clay line.

And to top it all off, you might want to try a good setting spray like Urban Decay's All Nighter. I could literally dip my face in a bucket of water and my makeup won't smudge at all.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Do you wear eyeliner or dark eyeshadow as well? Chemically, it shouldn't be possible to sweat off waterproof mascara, at least in any reasonable time frame. Sweat is mostly water, and waterproof mascara is oil/wax-based not soluble in water. I guess if you have extremely oily skin and are sweating in drops large enough to physically displace the oil (rather than chemically dissolving it, which won't happen), it could be possible, but I think that would get in your eyes and sting before it could happen enough to leave rings under your eyes.

Another alternative is that there's some funny business going on with the brand, and it's not actually fully waterproof. I use Maybelline The Falsies waterproof. I haven't done a show or competition yet, but I wear that mascara every day through work and freestyle sessions and lessons and tear-jerking Youtube videos, and it never budges.

As for the rest, I don't know anything specific about brands, but you'll want to look for more oil-based products.

Ducky

On the Ice
I've found that "tube" mascara, like Blinc's is insanely stay proof.

Benefit is a great for foundation and primers.

g8rsara

Rinkside
Oh, so many good products to look up, thank you!

I usually only have waterproof mascara on when skating, no other eye makeup, and multiple brands over the years. My eyelids are oily, I guess, and I’m a face sweater is even with setting sprays if I even think about sweating, even waterproof mascara leaves smudges or rings. I know it can’t be seen from the ice but I will know it’s there and it drives me nuts! I’ll def have to hit up the Benefit section at Sephora. Sounds like a good excuse to go sample shopping.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Oh, so many good products to look up, thank you!

I usually only have waterproof mascara on when skating, no other eye makeup, and multiple brands over the years. My eyelids are oily, I guess, and I’m a face sweater is even with setting sprays if I even think about sweating, even waterproof mascara leaves smudges or rings. I know it can’t be seen from the ice but I will know it’s there and it drives me nuts! I’ll def have to hit up the Benefit section at Sephora. Sounds like a good excuse to go sample shopping.

Have you tried using a mattifying primer on your eyelids before applying any other makeup? That might help with oil affecting your makeup. I don’t often wear mascara but my waterproof eyeliner will often smudge if I don’t use primer (or concealer) on my lids before applying it.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Great eye shadow lid primer: Hard Candy Eyes the Limit. Eye shadow does not budge.

If you can't find it, I've read that the Milani brand eye shadow primer is also good but I haven't tested it yet.
Both are available at Wal-Mart.

Maybelline Tattoo Studio eye shadow fat pencils are long lasting too and come in many colors. The problem is that I don't know if they are still making them. They've disappeared from places like Wal-Mart and Target.
ULTA may carry them.

An alternative for mascara can be fake eyelashes, which can be cheaply purchased - even at a dollar store. I will be trying them soon as nearly everyone on my TOI team wears them for performances.
Of course, test them out first before your performance!

I like both Bare Minerals and Physician's Formula powder foundations. Bare Minerals Mineral Veil is great for the finishing touch on both powder and liquid foundations. Camouflages some wrinkles, keeps down the shine and keeps makeup intact!
You can also use it BEFORE applying powder foundations as a kinda primer.

That's it from me!:laugh:

celia

Rinkside
Two things:

1) I second Urban Decay's All Nighter. This stuff is amazing.
2) I have had waterproof mascara smudge on me too. I can't wear the stuff because then I can't take off the smudges! For me, the reasons are my lashes are very straight, so the smudging comes from I guess contact and rubbing. I curl them but eventually they uncurl and smudge. I've discovered "tubular" mascara solves the problem for me. It dries into little tubes on your lashes, is not waterproof so you can take it off easily when you want to, but does not budge. I use Clinique lash power mascara, and used to use Deja Vu Fiberwig mascara, but the Clinique stuff is easier to find.

Good luck!