Pants/tights for bulky legs? | Golden Skate

Pants/tights for bulky legs?

Juliesk8

Spectator
I have bulky, muscular legs as I used to be a sprinter at school. This is why I don’t feel comfortable wearing skin tight leggings when I skate and I’m looking for something which is ‘straight’ (not that tight at the knees/ankles)
I have tried
- Victoria’s Secret: great feel with compression but it’s not long enough to cover the boots (want to hide the laces underneath)
- chloenoel: way too tight
- Victoria’s challenge: the waist part fits well but the thighs part is too tight

Friends suggested lululemon and Mondor - wondering if anyone (especially those with muscular legs like me) can share anything about them? There isn’t a physical store in my country so I have to order online

Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have bulky, muscular legs as I used to be a sprinter at school. This is why I don’t feel comfortable wearing skin tight leggings when I skate and I’m looking for something which is ‘straight’ (not that tight at the knees/ankles)
I have tried
- Victoria’s Secret: great feel with compression but it’s not long enough to cover the boots (want to hide the laces underneath)
- chloenoel: way too tight
- Victoria’s challenge: the waist part fits well but the thighs part is too tight

Friends suggested lululemon and Mondor - wondering if anyone (especially those with muscular legs like me) can share anything about them? There isn’t a physical store in my country so I have to order online

Thank you!

I wear and have also recommended Lululemon here many times.

I don't just wear their leggings though, I wear their joggers and "dance studio" pants when I skate too.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I like the Fila line available at Kohl's. I mostly buy the cotton blend pant style but in winter they offer a fleece legging that tapers at the ankle. Very cozy to skate in.

I'm a curvy / lumpy so I don't feel comfortable wearing body hugging leggings only. The Fila line fits me well and I'm still wearing some of the pants I bought 3 years ago, although I recently bought some replacements.
The price is reasonable too.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I like the Fila line available at Kohl's. I mostly buy the cotton blend pant style but in winter they offer a fleece legging that tapers at the ankle. Very cozy to skate in.

I'm a curvy / lumpy so I don't feel comfortable wearing body hugging leggings only. The Fila line fits me well and I'm still wearing some of the pants I bought 3 years ago, although I recently bought some replacements.

Seconded! The fleece lined Fila leggings are super warm and flexible. They're also comparatively affordable for the quality.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I mostly wear Lululemon.

I fell on a spin and put the back end of my blade an inch into my shin. My pants didn't rip or tear at all. Which was really nice because it really limits the risk of infection in the wound. I also found that I very easily put holes in my mondors and my Lisa McKinnons, but I've yet to put a hole in my Lulus. Not that it's not possible, but they are a tad more durable.

The other option I'd look into is Victoria's Challenge. Her sizing is Traditional. I wear an XL in Mondor because of my thighs and I wear and XS in Victoria's Challenge. I do prefer to wear Lulus over the fleece leggings these days, but the VC leggings are almost half the price of lulus.

Also, I don't put my lulus over my boots. I don't want my expensive pants ripped. I took a pair of mondor skating socks and cut off the foot. I wear those to fold over my boot and laces. That way they get torn and my leggings don't.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
look into the uniqlo airism soft leggings. I just got 2 pairs and they seem to be good so far. They can go a little bit over the boots, and they look and feel like lululemon but at $20 with discounts all the time its not bad. Make sure you look at sizing, because I had to order a size up from what I normally get in leggings

xoooz

Spectator

Could you possibly link the Fila Kohl leggings please? Thank you :)

xoooz

Spectator
I mostly wear Lululemon.

I fell on a spin and put the back end of my blade an inch into my shin. My pants didn't rip or tear at all. Which was really nice because it really limits the risk of infection in the wound. I also found that I very easily put holes in my mondors and my Lisa McKinnons, but I've yet to put a hole in my Lulus. Not that it's not possible, but they are a tad more durable.

Could you possibly link me to those Lulu’s you’re talking about? Thanks!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Could you possibly link the Fila Kohl leggings please? Thank you :)

Sure! The Fila styles constantly change. These are what I most recently bought - they are not fleece but they are nice for skating. I'm short so I hem them up a couple inches:
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2455591/womens-fila-sport-vibrant-workout-pants.jsp?color=Black%20Nine%20Iron%20White&prdPV=2

The fleece pants I'm wearing became available in fall / winter. I'm not seeing them offered via the Kohl's website right now.
These are the only ones listed and they are on clearance, with very limited sizes:
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3...ggings.jsp?color=Black Charcoal White&prdPV=6

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Could you possibly link me to those Lulu’s you’re talking about? Thanks!

I wear multiple kinds of Lulu leggings for skating and they are all good. You cannot go wrong. Just pick ones you like that will fit you. :)

Juliesk8

Spectator
I mostly wear Lululemon.

The other option I'd look into is Victoria's Challenge. Her sizing is Traditional. I wear an XL in Mondor because of my thighs and I wear and XS in Victoria's Challenge. I do prefer to wear Lulus over the fleece leggings these days, but the VC leggings are almost half the price of lulus.

Also, I don't put my lulus over my boots. I don't want my expensive pants ripped. I took a pair of mondor skating socks and cut off the foot. I wear those to fold over my boot and laces. That way they get torn and my leggings don't.

Can you share which type of mondor leggings/socks u get? How ‘thick’ are your thighs if you don’t mind me asking? I’m normally a size 4 in lulu (pants) and I have muscular thighs too so I’m wondering if I should get XL for mondor like you

Thanks!

Nimyue

On the Ice
Can you share which type of mondor leggings/socks u get? How ‘thick’ are your thighs if you don’t mind me asking? I’m normally a size 4 in lulu (pants) and I have muscular thighs too so I’m wondering if I should get XL for mondor like you

Thanks!

I'm normally a size 4 in lulu also. I used to power lift before I picked up skating, so my legs are really really large. I don't really recommend Mondor leggings over Lulu, I can wear the XL, but they are tight on my thighs. Mondor's skating socks and tights for under dresses are fine. Any skate shop sells the socks, I usually buy the kids' size because I don't need them to go up to my knee. The adult size is just longer really. They are super stretchy. For Mondor tights for under skating dresses, I can wear a Medium or a Large. Medium fit pretty perfectly, but I really like buying the Bamboo ones in Large because they are really warm. However, if I was wearing their regular tights I'd probably buy two mediums and wear them both for warmth.

If you wear lulus already, I wouldn't spend the money on the Mondors. The lulus fit much much better and are about the same price.

Juliesk8

Spectator
I'm normally a size 4 in lulu also. I used to power lift before I picked up skating, so my legs are really really large. I don't really recommend Mondor leggings over Lulu, I can wear the XL, but they are tight on my thighs. Mondor's skating socks and tights for under dresses are fine. Any skate shop sells the socks, I usually buy the kids' size because I don't need them to go up to my knee. The adult size is just longer really. They are super stretchy. For Mondor tights for under skating dresses, I can wear a Medium or a Large. Medium fit pretty perfectly, but I really like buying the Bamboo ones in Large because they are really warm. However, if I was wearing their regular tights I'd probably buy two mediums and wear them both for warmth.

If you wear lulus already, I wouldn't spend the money on the Mondors. The lulus fit much much better and are about the same price.

Thanks a lot! I actually just bought the lulu leggings (the ones for running) and they feel so good! Quite flattering and the length is long enough to cover my laces . They are just really expensive though...

My friend is going to visit Canada soon and she said mondor is cheap there, so I wanna get new leggings for daily practice. II’m deciding between large and x large - wondering if you can share what’s the material like? Is it compression material and stretchy like lululemon’s? Will it be too loose around the waist for you? I have never bought anything from mondor except their competition tights and I got size s.

Thanks again!

jf12

Final Flight
Thanks a lot! I actually just bought the lulu leggings (the ones for running) and they feel so good! Quite flattering and the length is long enough to cover my laces . They are just really expensive though...

My friend is going to visit Canada soon and she said mondor is cheap there, so I wanna get new leggings for daily practice. II’m deciding between large and x large - wondering if you can share what’s the material like? Is it compression material and stretchy like lululemon’s? Will it be too loose around the waist for you? I have never bought anything from mondor except their competition tights and I got size s.

Thanks again!

The Mondors I’ve seen are totally different from lulu running pants, the material is more of a polartec like fleecy material, which can be nice and warm but not that flattering if that’s the focus of the thread.

Nimyue

On the Ice

Thanks again!

Like jf12 said, it's much less stretchy with less compression. It's polartec fleece. So they will keep you warm, but they won't move as well with you. If you have large legs you're probably an x-large. Mine are loosish on my waist and tight on my thighs. I only really use them for coaching LTS or when I know a rink I'm going to is going to be very very cold.

Seriously, 95% of my time is in lulus for good reason. The Aligns I wouldn't recommend just because they are thinner, but they are my favorites for every other activity. The wonderunders in Nulux or Luxtreme are good, if you like the feel of Aligns, the In Movements are also really good.

Juliesk8

Spectator
Thanks jf12 and nimyue! I love the lulu pants, especially the fast and free and align pant - perfect for skating and running. Guess I won’t get the mondor leggings then, thanks heaps :)