2019 World Team Trophy: Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

2019 World Team Trophy: Thoughts and Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2019 ISU World Team Trophy concluded on Saturday with the Pairs' and Ladies' Free Skate in Fukuoka, Japan. Team USA placed first with a total of 117 points, followed by Team Japan (104) and Team Russia (102). It was the fourth time Team USA has taken gold in the six times the event has taken place. Team Japan won last year in Tokyo.

gettyimages-1136708350-2048x2048.jpg

Recaps:
Day 1 / Day 2 / Day 3

What are your thoughts on on the event? Best performances? Best K&C moments? Best silly moments?

Last edited:
It looks like Vincent Zhou is poised to make a huge statement next season. He is making steady progress toward full revolutions and is gaining fast in component marks, while knocking it out of the park in tech base value.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thoughts

1. Start off this event Vincent Zhou - he is getting closer to Nathan but more important he is getting more confident, consistent and ealingwith URs.
2. Liza T we get it. You made your point and strong reason why you should have gone to worlds. Nice work
3. Generally everyone was a bit tired after worlds and a long season
4. Perhaps this should be renamed the Japanese World Team Invitational - this really seems to be a bit of a cheesefest set up By choosing both men and women to have two representatives you are saying individual skating is more important or alternatively it was arandom decision
5. Bradie Tennell is consistent and a challenger
6. Not full redemption but good for James and Cipres
7. P/C beautiful and unbeatable as usual.
8. Canada has a lot of work to get caught up.
9. A laine Chartrand not good at all. Of course we wish her well but I was hoping for a glimmer of hope. Heer pcs have fallen. She is celarly no longer a top 8 or t0p 10 or eventop 16 threat. If she wants to continue and of course that isher right she maybe needs to reevaluate why she is skating, what does she want from skating and how competitive does she really want to be. I appreciate she is trying but this is getting a bit sad. Hoping she has a lot inspiration as she prepares for next year and hope for a Canadian miracle that Gabby really comes back with a vengeance along with Kaetlyn (though she is touring so one wonders).

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Marina Piredda, such a joy! :)

I really felt for Gabby after her warm-up collision. I hope this event doesn't affect her future mindset.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
As usual this was a really fun competition. Of course, everybody is a bit tired but we still saw some excellent performances, exhausted skaters or not. Although I always think it a shame that there's more single skaters than couples participating, and therefore a country has to have big shots in singles to medal (look at France who had excellent results in pairs and Ice Dance but still didn't get there), it's still a very enjoyable competition. The pairs showed us some excellent programmes, most notably Zabiiako/Enbert in the Short and James/Cipres in the long. Zabiiako/Enberts short has grown on me through the season, even the costumes and this was a good outing for a last goodbye. I'm really going to miss James/Cipres's beautiful two programmes of which the the long especially stands out as a masterpiece. And to perform so well at the last competition definitely was a highlight for the skaters too I should think, a bit of a redemption after Worlds. Ice Dance also proved to be pretty good with Papadakis/Cizeron being glorious once again (when are they not?), while the other couples also showed us some lovely dances. A pity the Japanese pairs and dance couples lag so far behind, but then I suppose that's the reason the format exists as it is! In men singles Vincent Zhou was the one standing out during this competition even if he had to let Nathan Chen go in front of him in both programmes. It was just so joyful to watch, and I even got a bit emotional because he was so proud of himself and so happy with how he skated. With Nathan I thought this somewhat watered down long did make it possible to see better how his components really are pretty good. It was also good to see Keegan Messing and Matteo Rizzo skate well, although I had hoped for better from Shoma Uno. at least he was third in the FS. Liza Tuktamysheva definitely was the ultimate highlight for me this competition. Her short was good, but her long ticked all the boxes. What a skate! Wow, wow, wow! Seeing Bradie Tenell performing so strongly made me smile (who would have thought it she could skate so well at the end of the season) while Kaori Sakamoto's FS also was really nice. Sophia Samudurova was solid as always, although perhaps slightly tired because of the long season. Rika Kihira had an excellent Short but let us down a little bit in the FS. I was afraid she'd be somewhat stricken after that skate, but she seemed to be alright.

All-in-all a great end to the season (I haven't even mentioned the skates I also enjoyed but were qualitatively less than the stand out ones), and I hope this competition stays on the roll, and it'll be back in 2021. I wonder what kind of end-of-season event we'll get to watch next year!

ragdoll

On the Ice
For the sake of fairness, there should be two pairs and two dance teams from each country.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
For the sake of fairness, there should be two pairs and two dance teams from each country.
Then even less countries can participate cos not every country has 2 pairs & 2 dance pairs. Might as well dont hold the WTT then.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The 2019 ISU World Team Trophy concluded on Saturday with the Pairs' and Ladies' Free Skate in Fukuoka, Japan. Team USA placed first with a total of 117 points, followed by Team Japan (104) and Team Russia (102). It was the fourth time Team USA has taken gold in the six times the event has taken place. Team Japan won last year in Tokyo.

What are your thoughts on on the event? Best performances? Best K&C moments? Best silly moments?

I really liked the format of the event, and how it showcases the team spirit. What i do not like is that scoring system is biased to single skaters, because you only win half the points for a win in a pair skate and only lose half for a loss.

As much as I am fond of Team Japan, winning second place with losing half the events dead last to me indicates the problems with scoring the event as a team venue specifically. Itis not good that they could have put a flower girl & a stuffy-toy boy on ice instead of a skate, and still would have won.

Pair results and losses should score differently than singles or give them a skate off to help even out the odds.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
WTT review Men’s

#DontHateJustSkate

Adam Siao Him Fa (SP)-landed a quad lutz!! Wow. Nice to see Brian Joubert coaching him. Is it just me or does he resemble Dennis Ten???
(FS)- his song was “take me to church”, but I didn’t get there. I wanted to though. Is this his senior international debut? I’m liking his style. He’s got three quads in his arsenal and skates with immaturity still but I hope he grows and is able to compete on the Grand Prix next season. The bonus will be seeing Brian Joubert more often....lol. Kévin Aymoz has to be watching his back now.

Andrei Lazukin- (SP)his song was “i put a spell on you”, and that’s exactly what he did to me. Those jumps were so crisp and secure....ugh. Captivating.
(FS)- not as captivating as the SP, but, he’s got “something”. Not sure what it is yet, but, I’ll be watching him next season.

Kevin Aymoz- (SP) I’m glad he landed the 4T again in the SP. great confidence boost going into next season. He’s grown on me....a lot. I think I’m developing a crush. Lol
(FS)-I really like this guy.... I wish he could be more consistent in all his jumps. With Adam creeping up behind him, he has to get it together.

Daniel Grassl- (SP) my first time seeing him. Glad to see Italy coming up in the men’s and possibly making completion with the rest of the world. Can’t wait to see him next season.
(FS)- he’s theatrical, has three quads in his arsenal.....like Kévin Aymoz of France, Matteo Rizzo has to be watching his back next season. I like it. Some new players and countries catching up, coming up and spicing things up!!! Love it.

Nam Nguyen- (SP) nice to see a clean SP from him to end the season.
(FS)- so proud of him...he attempted THREE quads, landed 2, and had a clean skate overall. So happy for “mis hermanos” to the north!! Rock on bro!!! Good job!!!

Keiji Tanaka- (SP)nice to see him get a seasons best.
(FS)- he’s one of those skaters I just wonder about. At least he ended this season with a seasons best. I wish him well for next season.

Matteo Rizzo- (SP)-glad he landed that 4T again. He will need it consistently next season as he now has Daniel Grassl creeping up behind him.
(FS)- Almost almost ALMOST perfect skate.;;but he should be proud!!! And received a seasons best.

Alexander Samarin- (SP) a lot of people don’t like his style of skating, but I dig it. He’s aggressive, got real macho grit, skates with reckless abandon, but I wonder if he needs to harness it just a little to be more consistent in the jumps. Two falls is just awful.
(FS)- i was really hoping he was gonna have a huge skate and moment. He look focused and in tune, probably more than he ever had been this season. Hopefully he will be better next season. I really like him.

Keegan Messing- (SP)at least he did the combo this time at the end of the lutz
(FS)- He looked focused and in the zone. Glad he was able to change his program around and still skate cleanly....not sure but should be at least his cleanest. Good job K!

Vincent Zhou - (SP)I saw her at the worlds with him and now here alone without his coaches.....whatever Rika Kihira coach is doing with him....it’s working: i love her!!! And she helped him achieve an ending seasons best..... how wonderful.
(FS)- WHAT?!!!!! I hate to even say this, but, that coach is showing something to Vincent....and she seems so genuinely interested in him. I don’t know the scores yet but she is making him such a better athlete. Plus she helped him gain a season ending best score!!!! Incredible WOW!!! I loved how he bowed to her and showed her his gratitude..:.so awesome. I think Tammy and Tom should be concerned he will leave them and go train with her in Japan lol.

Shoma Uno- (SP)does anyone know why he changed the music ? He’s always gonna be a sentimental fave for me.
(FS)- ok...my boy Shoma attempting a 3A/4T.....WHAT?!!!! I love. Whatever ....good for you!!!! So proud of that!!!!! RESPECT ✊

Nathan Chen- (SP)completely watered down SP, but, if anyone deserves to take it easy, it’s definitely Nathan. He’s earned it after defending his World title this season in Japan, and still earned over 100 with just one 4T. I think he’s also earned the respect of the ISU judges. I pray he continues to get better and stay healthy.
(FS)- ugh:.:. That one 3A is the only one he has missed all season...SP and FS. He was rewarded for an otherwise clean skate but I’m sure he’s taken note that Vincent is creeping up on him. Better keep it together bro next season.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
WTT review Men’s

#DontHateJustSkate

Adam Siao Him Fa (SP)-landed a quad lutz!! Wow. Nice to see Brian Joubert coaching him. Is it just me or does he resemble Dennis Ten???
(FS)- his song was “take me to church”, but I didn’t get there. I wanted to though. Is this his senior international debut? I’m liking his style. He’s got three quads in his arsenal and skates with immaturity still but I hope he grows and is able to compete on the Grand Prix next season. The bonus will be seeing Brian Joubert more often....lol. Kévin Aymoz has to be watching his back now.

Andrei Lazukin- (SP)his song was “i put a spell on you”, and that’s exactly what he did to me. Those jumps were so crisp and secure....ugh. Captivating.
(FS)- not as captivating as the SP, but, he’s got “something”. Not sure what it is yet, but, I’ll be watching him next season.

Kevin Aymoz- (SP) I’m glad he landed the 4T again in the SP. great confidence boost going into next season. He’s grown on me....a lot. I think I’m developing a crush. Lol
(FS)-I really like this guy.... I wish he could be more consistent in all his jumps. With Adam creeping up behind him, he has to get it together.

Daniel Grassl- (SP) my first time seeing him. Glad to see Italy coming up in the men’s and possibly making completion with the rest of the world. Can’t wait to see him next season.
(FS)- he’s theatrical, has three quads in his arsenal.....like Kévin Aymoz of France, Matteo Rizzo has to be watching his back next season. I like it. Some new players and countries catching up, coming up and spicing things up!!! Love it.

Nam Nguyen- (SP) nice to see a clean SP from him to end the season.
(FS)- so proud of him...he attempted THREE quads, landed 2, and had a clean skate overall. So happy for “mis hermanos” to the north!! Rock on bro!!! Good job!!!

Keiji Tanaka- (SP)nice to see him get a seasons best.
(FS)- he’s one of those skaters I just wonder about. At least he ended this season with a seasons best. I wish him well for next season.

Matteo Rizzo- (SP)-glad he landed that 4T again. He will need it consistently next season as he now has Daniel Grassl creeping up behind him.
(FS)- Almost almost ALMOST perfect skate.;;but he should be proud!!! And received a seasons best.

Alexander Samarin- (SP) a lot of people don’t like his style of skating, but I dig it. He’s aggressive, got real macho grit, skates with reckless abandon, but I wonder if he needs to harness it just a little to be more consistent in the jumps. Two falls is just awful.
(FS)- i was really hoping he was gonna have a huge skate and moment. He look focused and in tune, probably more than he ever had been this season. Hopefully he will be better next season. I really like him.

Keegan Messing- (SP)at least he did the combo this time at the end of the lutz
(FS)- He looked focused and in the zone. Glad he was able to change his program around and still skate cleanly....not sure but should be at least his cleanest. Good job K!

Vincent Zhou - (SP)I saw her at the worlds with him and now here alone without his coaches.....whatever Rika Kihira coach is doing with him....it’s working: i love her!!! And she helped him achieve an ending seasons best..... how wonderful.
(FS)- WHAT?!!!!! I hate to even say this, but, that coach is showing something to Vincent....and she seems so genuinely interested in him. I don’t know the scores yet but she is making him such a better athlete. Plus she helped him gain a season ending best score!!!! Incredible WOW!!! I loved how he bowed to her and showed her his gratitude..:.so awesome. I think Tammy and Tom should be concerned he will leave them and go train with her in Japan lol.

Shoma Uno- (SP)does anyone know why he changed the music ? He’s always gonna be a sentimental fave for me.
(FS)- ok...my boy Shoma attempting a 3A/4T.....WHAT?!!!! I love. Whatever ....good for you!!!! So proud of that!!!!! RESPECT ✊

Nathan Chen- (SP)completely watered down SP, but, if anyone deserves to take it easy, it’s definitely Nathan. He’s earned it after defending his World title this season in Japan, and still earned over 100 with just one 4T. I think he’s also earned the respect of the ISU judges. I pray he continues to get better and stay healthy.
(FS)- ugh:.:. That one 3A is the only one he has missed all season...SP and FS. He was rewarded for an otherwise clean skate but I’m sure he’s taken note that Vincent is creeping up on him. Better keep it together bro next season.

Great post. :)

sheetz

Record Breaker
As much as I am fond of Team Japan, winning second place with losing half the events dead last to me indicates the problems with scoring the event as a team venue specifically. Itis not good that they could have put a flower girl & a stuffy-toy boy on ice instead of a skate, and still would have won.

In 2013 Japan did not even enter a pairs team and still finished third.

Of course everyone knows it's not fair, but for most of the skaters it's really like a paid vacation. So they just do their jobs, smile, and collect their checks.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Then even less countries can participate cos not every country has 2 pairs & 2 dance pairs. Might as well dont hold the WTT then.
Lots of countries don't have two good singles skaters in each of those disciplines either.

For the record, I don't take issue with the format. It's obviously designed to favour Japan, but Japan is the host and really the main reason this event exists, so he who pays the piper calls the tune.

P44

On the Ice
But why not just do it like at the Olympics?
It would be 1 or 2 people in each category and then there could be more countries.
I know this competition is organized by Japan and "for" Japan but it could be so much more interesting...

truthbooth

On the Ice
I have to say, I wasn't sure if I liked the WTT or not, but this competition has won me over. It's nice to see a different side of skaters in the K&C and we saw fabulous performances in every division.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a good competition. The difference in prize money from 1-6 is not that much. And these skaters get to bond with each other in the kiss n cry. There are not any losers. Just being there is a win. And Japan is a nice place to visit. :)

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
Missing Yuzuru, the main attraction the ticket seller, the seat filler. A little dull this time around.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
WTT review

//

My attempt to partial-quote is abyssimal, but the Twitter Legend goes that Uno’s Family requested the change, aka his mother’s favorite. If so, it is very sweet :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Missing Yuzuru, the main attraction the ticket seller, the seat filler. A little dull this time around.

https://youtu.be/N1DwpyhqBrM Looks like the stadium was pretty packed to me! :laugh:

Some excellent skates to end the season. Particularly impressed by Zhou and Chen (who put folks on notice that he still has a 4S) and Kihira's SP and Tuktamysheva overall. Tennell also saved her strongest for last. PCS was a bit crazy but that's to be expected at this fluff competition.