2019 World Team Trophy: Thoughts and Highlights | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 World Team Trophy: Thoughts and Highlights

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well if you don't take it too seriously (I mean, it's an event designed to be a money-spinner, but at least the skaters are getting a good chunk of that spun money), then it's a fun event. I'm super glad the US team won simply because I highly doubt almost anyone, including themselves, thought they would.

Yes, it would be nice and it certainly would be more fair if Pairs and Dance didn't get the usual ISU shaft, and if more teams were invited to participate. But it is what it is. And if you accept its limitations, then it's a nice sendoff to a very very very long season.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Well if you don't take it too seriously (I mean, it's an event designed to be a money-spinner, but at least the skaters are getting a good chunk of that spun money), then it's a fun event. I'm super glad the US team won simply because I highly doubt almost anyone, including themselves, thought they would.

Yes, it would be nice and it certainly would be more fair if Pairs and Dance didn't get the usual ISU shaft, and if more teams were invited to participate. But it is what it is. And if you accept its limitations, then it's a nice sendoff to a very very very long season.

The US had the strongest overall team on paper, so I'm not surprised they won. USA tends to do well in this competition -- better than they have fared at either team event at the Olympics so far. I'd attribute this to (1) The devaluation of the pairs event at WTT and (2) The ability to double down on men, their biggest strength, in both segments (as opposed to one entry per segment in the Olympics).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The US had the strongest overall team on paper, so I'm not surprised they won. USA tends to do well in this competition -- better than they have fared at either team event at the Olympics so far. I'd attribute this to (1) The devaluation of the pairs event at WTT and (2) The ability to double down on men, their biggest strength, in both segments (as opposed to one entry per segment in the Olympics).
The way things went down for the biggest on-paper rivals (Japan and Russia) also really broke the US's way this year. Japan didn't have Hanyu (though Tanaka actually ended up having a pretty solid event), while Russia didn't send its absolute top ladies (though the ladies they did send of course did very well anyway, but when you're scrounging for every point, having, say, an in-form Zagitova instead of Samodurova would have made the difference between second and third) and, as at the Olympics, they were seriously let down in the men's discipline (in this case, by Samarin, whose disastrous short program, especially, made it a real longshot to do better than bronze).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really, the only mildly interesting positive I found in this competition was the continuing rise of Vincent Z. He hasn't stepped off the accelerator, and he is improving pretty rapidly. A reasonable case could be made that he deserved to beat Nathan in either the short or the long, or both.

On the down side, the Canadian singles were pretty disappointing. I'm losing interest. Bring on the 14 year old.

temadd

Final Flight
Highlights for me - Seeing so many skaters having the best skates of their season. What a great way for them to end

Bradie's Long was her best of the season -clean & emotional. She looked relaxed enough that the emotion felt more genuine. Really enjoying her.

Mariah's performance in the long was breathtaking artistically.

Marina Piredda going out an unknown (to me) and skating so well

Vincent's jumps looking better and better - I so enjoy him and hated that he was struggling on URs earlier this season. To see him improve his technique so quickly is fantastic!

Nathan throwing in a 4 Sal

James and Cipres finally putting it all together:hap10:

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The US had the strongest overall team on paper, so I'm not surprised they won. USA tends to do well in this competition.

On men's side, the United States had two World medalists who gave the nation a commanding lead after the free skate. Bradie Tennell nailed it after scoring just over 150 in women's free. Kihira was under pressure after another solid performance by Liza. Liza's free program had two combination jumps that included a double axel. Liza upgraded her free program with more difficult jumps after the Cup of Russia and she showed what she is really capable of.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
J

I had no doubts that States would win, and it is good for the sport, because if States buys into FS, it’s important.

This one is my favorite event after GP to try to go see in person, I think. It feels fun & fast and has tons of amusing side content from the team booth. I do wish they had 2x pairs per country, I love pairs.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Four words:

Liza Tuk, the Empress! :love:

I also enjoyed seeing Andrei Lazukin aka Mr Liza here, he's really broken out this season!

Loved Kevin Aymoz's programs and Keegan's too. Shoma trying the 3A-4T was insaaaane!

And hooray to Vanessa and Morgan for their superb programs.

The whole event was so much fun! Japanese audiences are the best.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
J

I had no doubts that States would win, and it is good for the sport, because if States buys into FS, it’s important.

This one is my favorite event after GP to try to go see in person, I think. It feels fun & fast and has tons of amusing side content from the team booth. I do wish they had 2x pairs per country, I love pairs.

Pairs are the thing! With you on that. Totally. On the other hand: not all participants would have had two good pairs to include. But it might stimulate the development of pairs in countries where it's less important if their outings would count as much as the singles. However, I don't think one can expect a country which is bad in pairs (except for in 2011 when they got a bronze at Worlds) to organise, pay prize money and get ISU certification (or whatever, but it counts in the SBs) to put themselves down. Really too bad for France (and I personally thought it to be a shame that a country that really does good in Pairs and Dance can't medal), but I don't see a country like France organising an event like this. Think of the probable plastic trophy, and the possible impossibilty (pun intended) to pay out the prize money. Still...Vanessa and Morgan did well anyway!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Four words:

Liza Tuk, the Empress! :love:

I also enjoyed seeing Andrei Lazukin aka Mr Liza here, he's really broken out this season!

Loved Kevin Aymoz's programs and Keegan's too. Shoma trying the 3A-4T was insaaaane!

And hooray to Vanessa and Morgan for their superb programs.

The whole event was so much fun! Japanese audiences are the best.

Time for naming...4T 3A sequence is a 'Hanyu' and perhaps a 3A-4T combination is a Shoma or a Uno? Jumps and moves got names from their instigators in the past, why not now? oh, and also naming a ladies 3A 'the Empress'. Definitely.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Time for naming...4T 3A sequence is a 'Hanyu' and perhaps a 3A-4T combination is a Shoma or a Uno? Jumps and moves got names from their instigators in the past, why not now? oh, and also naming a ladies 3A 'the Empress'. Definitely.

Why not name a woman's 3A the Ito? Usually the person who does it first gets the credit.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to see footage of the gala practice.

Apparently, some of the men went crazy - doing all sorts of outlandish jumps and combinations. Showing off and clowning with each other.

It sounds much more interesting than the actual competition.

tokoyami

On the Ice
this was the biggest joke of the entire season. 47 pcs for Nathan who (I respect as a normal person) looks like he's leaning over for 80% of the program . . . what an absolute farce. How anyone can convince themselves Nathan or Vincent deserve anything above 42 pcs (on a good day) is an absolute mystery to me :)

Other than that loved Kaori's performance!! I'm so glad she took home gold <3

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I thought USA are considered the clear fav to win. They sent their strongest possible team, esp singles.
Japan, even if Yuzuru had not withdrawn, have never been strong in pairs & dance.Now with Reed & Muramoto split, their dance is even weaker.

Russia, Zagitova & Evgenia withdrew. If either one were here instead of Sofia, they would have placed higher.
Mikhail Kolyada also withdrew, leaving Russia without their strongest male skater. (despite his health problems this season)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Tennell scoring second in that company surprised me more than Zhou, tbh. (Shrug)

NAOTMAA

Medalist
The thing that really stood out to me was how singles dominated this whole thing was. You get more potential points in singles because there are two per country competing in both SP and LP while only one in the pairs/dance. I mean why do both single skaters get to skate in both portions and they don't split?

Japan can finish dead last by a HUGE landslide in all portions of the pairs and dance competition yet remain competitive just because they are strong in singles. Yet France while strong in pairs and dance but mediocre in singles is completely chance less and likely never to place top 3. Both are strong in two of the four disciplines (and France clearly stronger in singles then Japan is in pairs/dance) yet one is considered competitive for the win and the other isn't. I don't see how that is in any way fair especially for an event that's suppose to be fun.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The thing that really stood out to me was how singles dominated this whole thing was. You get more potential points in singles because there are two per country competing in both SP and LP while only one in the pairs/dance. I mean why do both single skaters get to skate in both portions and they don't split?

Japan can finish dead last by a HUGE landslide in all portions of the pairs and dance competition yet remain competitive just because they are strong in singles. Yet France while strong in pairs and dance but mediocre in singles is completely chance less and likely never to place top 3. Both are strong in two of the four disciplines (and France clearly stronger in singles then Japan is in pairs/dance) yet one is considered competitive for the win and the other isn't. I don't see how that is in any way fair especially for an event that's suppose to be fun.

:console:

To a large extent I completely agree with you, but like I said above, it is what it is. The one consolation is I believe the skaters split the booty equally.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I cannot believe how much Bradie improved after worlds, especially artistically. I hope she keeps one of her programs for next season. I really like both.