Male rhythmic gymnastics | Golden Skate

Male rhythmic gymnastics

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Popular in Japan and Spain, but met with mixed feelings elsewhere. You should read some of the comments, very sexist and opposed to gender equality for various reasons.
For me personally, it depends a bit on the costume that has to remain masculine. But no hairy armpits or tattoos and piercings please.
Sample some routines here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6-5O9lzUr5GC6Sy2_XTxSg

PS: With the IOC demanding all Olympic sports to be performed at competition level by both genders, they haven't (yet) included male RSG, nor male synchronized swimming?
I think the female rhythmics and swimmers might want to keep their sport to themselves a little longer? Both sports being dominated by Russia btw.

Eleanor

On the Ice
I have mixed feelings about this TBH. Before the FIG starts to think about male RG, they should put their nose where it is needed: fair judging.
At the moment, and as you mentioned, it seems to get popular only in Japan and Spain. Time will tell if other federations start to develop it and it's grow big enough to have championships. But I'm afraid that clichés in general will put a quick stop to it. Ballet in France still suffer from the lack of male candidates and it's still seen as a female discipline rather than an art made for everyone. I don't really see male RG have a different treatment here.

Although, I would be curious to see if Mama Viner would coach males :drama:
I've been reading for a while that the olympics want to get rid off of RG. As long as Viner has some influence, it won't happen. But as soon as she steps down, I'm afraid it will happen especially since it's compeltely dominated by the russian with controversies here and there (less so now that Ukraine is a shadow of its former self)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I honestly didn't know there wasn't already men's rhythmic gymnastics. I must have seen it online and gotten it confused with another men's Olympic gymnastics event. No mixed feelings here other than that it looks like something with the potential to distract me from work. :laugh:

If the IOC wants all sports to have both genders, I really hope that there just aren't enough male rhythmic gymnasts and swimmers for there to be enough competition and not anything actually to do with gender or with other athletes wanting the sports to themselves.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I honestly didn't know there wasn't already men's rhythmic gymnastics. I must have seen it online and gotten it confused with another men's Olympic gymnastics event. No mixed feelings here other than that it looks like something with the potential to distract me from work. :laugh:

If the IOC wants all sports to have both genders, I really hope that there just aren't enough male rhythmic gymnasts and swimmers for there to be enough competition and not anything actually to do with gender or with other athletes wanting the sports to themselves.

Problem with OG is that is was getting too big, too expensive and too old fashioned. Many sports included date back to the days of British rule over the world, are considered too white and elitist.

So the IOC wants the OG to be modernized, smaller and more contemporary, apart from non discriminatory by gender, ethnicity and religion.
So some ball game sports have been abolished, lots of sailing classes I know off the top of my head.
No doubt, many other sports are under evaluation, equine sports, RSG, synchronised swimming,
Some 'extreme sport' kind of sports have been added to attract a younger audience, and I think that trend will continue. The idea of including F1 has also been discussed I think.

We'll see what the IOC will make of male RSG: http://www.menrg.com
FIG, the governing body of gymnastics yet has no rules on male RSG that I could find: https://www.fig-gymnastics.com/site/rules/rules.php#5
FINA, the governing body of swimming does allow male competitors in artistic swimming: the mixed duet discipline: http://www.fina.org/sites/default/files/2017-2021_as_rules_-_16032018_full.pdf

Perhaps at some future OG, the gymnastics competition will rotate between the disciplines? Now that FIG has usurped parkour (much to the chagrin of the parkour community), it will make a nice sport for TV, also like sports climbing, short bouts of intense action.

Ducky

On the Ice
Popular in Japan and Spain, but met with mixed feelings elsewhere. You should read some of the comments, very sexist and opposed to gender equality for various reasons.
For me personally, it depends a bit on the costume that has to remain masculine. But no hairy armpits or tattoos and piercings please.
Sample some routines here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6-5O9lzUr5GC6Sy2_XTxSg

PS: With the IOC demanding all Olympic sports to be performed at competition level by both genders, they haven't (yet) included male RSG, nor male synchronized swimming?
I think the female rhythmics and swimmers might want to keep their sport to themselves a little longer? Both sports being dominated by Russia btw.

I saw someone on instagram whose lines were absolutely killer. Is it wrong to prefer male RG because they don't have the insane hyperextensions that the women have to strive for?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I saw someone on instagram whose lines were absolutely killer. Is it wrong to prefer male RG because they don't have the insane hyperextensions that the women have to strive for?

You're OK with me.

That insane hyperextension is a source of much debate. There are entire Youtube channels devoted to little girls being bent and stretched until they scream with pain and still their trainers won't let go. No pain, no gain, since most girls aren't double jointed and the normal body isn't made to be stretched and bent past the natural limits. But apparently there are no lasting effects. The equally insane demands on shape and weight in RSG are entirely another matter ....

I suppose the training of that hyperextension is sort of an initiation rite for aspiring rhythmic gymnasts, and afterwards the girls feel proud they have achieved.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
F1? Are you serious? What are they going to get rid of to accommodate that? Isn't it awfully expensive to build a track? And I honestly did not know such a thing as male rhythmic gymnastics existed. Nor male synchronized swimming.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
F1 I remember was discussed, not the whole series of course, but one race from the calendar. Probably more about the sponsor, TV and advertising money it would bring the IOC than to the actual value of motorsports for the Olympic Games.

With the ever rising costs of hosting the Games, scaling down would be required instead of scaling up.

leilaraj

On the Ice
Off topic, does anyone know a forum like golden skate for rhythmic gymnastics or specifically for russian rhythmic gymnastics? I‘m so interested to read there but couldn‘t find any

Eleanor

On the Ice
Off topic, does anyone know a forum like golden skate for rhythmic gymnastics or specifically for russian rhythmic gymnastics? I‘m so interested to read there but couldn‘t find any

Good question. I know one that is excusively in french.
You can also go there: http://www.rsg.net/forum/ but it sort of died. From what I read, the very active board are all russian.