Protective equipment for LTS? | Golden Skate

Protective equipment for LTS?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I am freaking out now about my friends accident. Of course she has decided she might not have a concussion because she only developed "half the symptoms." She said she was doing one foot sculling, and her husband saw her fall, he went to get her glasses which had flown off, and when he got back to her she was unconscious with her tongue out, and it looked as if she wasn't breathing. He tried to get her to come to, which he did after about 10 seconds. About every 30 seconds after that, she started asking what happened, and eventually she decided she wanted to get off the ice, so she crawled off it. She doesn't remember anything from being skating to crawling off the ice. She says she probably lost about a billion brain cells, but "that's ok."

So, I don't have that many brain cells left to lose, and I'm starting to wonder if this is a good idea, even though I got permission from my doctor. That was about 3 medications ago. I take a LOT OF medication. At least 10 pills a day, not including vitamins, and a needle stick once every 2 weeks. Would protective equipment make it safer? I could care less what it looks like. I know there's debate about how much helmets help, but at least they would keep my head from crashing into the ice.

tothepointe

On the Ice
OK, I am freaking out now about my friends accident. Of course she has decided she might not have a concussion because she only developed "half the symptoms." She said she was doing one foot sculling, and her husband saw her fall, he went to get her glasses which had flown off, and when he got back to her she was unconscious with her tongue out, and it looked as if she wasn't breathing. He tried to get her to come to, which he did after about 10 seconds. About every 30 seconds after that, she started asking what happened, and eventually she decided she wanted to get off the ice, so she crawled off it. She doesn't remember anything from being skating to crawling off the ice. She says she probably lost about a billion brain cells, but "that's ok."

So, I don't have that many brain cells left to lose, and I'm starting to wonder if this is a good idea, even though I got permission from my doctor. That was about 3 medications ago. I take a LOT OF medication. At least 10 pills a day, not including vitamins, and a needle stick once every 2 weeks. Would protective equipment make it safer? I could care less what it looks like. I know there's debate about how much helmets help, but at least they would keep my head from crashing into the ice.

OK first of all you don't self diagnose a concussion. I'm shocked if she was witnessed to be unconcious at any point that she wasn't immediately taken to the ER. I thought Canada had good healthcare.

Also secondly and truly no offense to your friend but I follow her on instagram and some of the moves she is throwing herself into is a little scary. Yes she has ability and yes she has muscle memory for previous skating but you need time to rebuilt your balance, proprioception and body condition. This is true of any sport. You need to relearn how to fall. Just from casually following I think she is moving too fast too soon. Especially without a coach.

As for protective gear wear what you feel comfortable with. Just be aware that ice has a different set of physics to concrete so the gear you might see rollerbladers wear might not be appropriate. As I progressed through skating at first I was falling on my knees a lot and then I started landing on my hips/side. Never come even close to hitting my head and have only landed on my hands once.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK first of all you don't self diagnose a concussion. I'm shocked if she was witnessed to be unconcious at any point that she wasn't immediately taken to the ER. I thought Canada had good healthcare.

Also secondly and truly no offense to your friend but I follow her on instagram and some of the moves she is throwing herself into is a little scary. Yes she has ability and yes she has muscle memory for previous skating but you need time to rebuilt your balance, proprioception and body condition. This is true of any sport. You need to relearn how to fall. Just from casually following I think she is moving too fast too soon. Especially without a coach.

As for protective gear wear what you feel comfortable with. Just be aware that ice has a different set of physics to concrete so the gear you might see rollerbladers wear might not be appropriate. As I progressed through skating at first I was falling on my knees a lot and then I started landing on my hips/side. Never come even close to hitting my head and have only landed on my hands once.

She did go to the ER and had an MRI done. BTW I didn't know she even had a separate IG account for skating. Went and looked and it is somewhat encouraging since we're about the same size. But she's clearly WAY more flexible than I am.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Either a helmet, or if that's too bulky for you, get a Halo or Crashe band that goes around your head.
Both Halo and Crashe make various styles. Having said that, I do know of a couple skaters who had their Halo come off when their head hit the ice.

I also know of an adult skater who did suffer a concussion when he fell backwards and hit his head. Had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance and he was off the ice for several months.
He did return and now wears a type of helmet that goes over the top of his head with a chin strap. Thinner than a bicycle helmet but not as bulky as a hockey. It works well for him.

christy

On the Ice
Depending on how much protection you want you could go with a helmet and I've seen them required at a number of rinks for public skating. If you want something lighter I've read a lot of good things about the Ribcap. I think they have several designs depending on how warm you want it to be. I've also seen a couple of recommendations for the Halo but would avoid the Crasche as I've seen quite a few people saying they've seen it fly off when people fall.

Ykai

On the Ice

Helmet definitely helps. I wear my ski helmet when skating. It saved me once when I tried hopping and landed backwards. My helmet hit the ice, but there was so much cushioning that my head felt nothing. I got up and continued to skate. I will not skate without it, never.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I had a new adult student last night who was a complete beginner.
She took the initiative and had on a bicycle-type helmet. At one point she took too ambitious of a step, fell mostly sideways and landed on the hip / side butt area. The side of her helmet did make a little contact with the ice but she was okay. Glad she had that helmet on.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think head protection would be the most sensible way to go, either a helmet or an Ice Halo type of thing. A lot of adult learners I've taught are - rightly - worried about hitting their heads and having some form of protection makes them feel a lot more secure, which shows in their progress.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Helmets are always a good idea, but make sure it's a hockey or ski helmet. Bike helmets have minimal protection for the back of the head which is the most vulnerable part of the head for skaters. Avoid knee pads as they restrict your movement.

Also, protective equipment, while a good idea especially if it gives you confidence, can't protect against everything. Make sure you find a coach, take your time and don't do things you're not ready for. This is a dangerous sport and accidents happen. If you're really nervous, don't push yourself past what you're comfortable with.