Duties of Coach and team doctor | Golden Skate

Duties of Coach and team doctor

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Its not my business to dictate to underaged skaters, or anyone else, that they should not use Red Bull at their individual age or weight. The adults I know who are addicted to it are old enough to make their own decisions. But I have to wonder if there is any moral responsibility of the coaches and team doctors to at least inform the parents and skaters of the possible consequences to 90 lb athletes of using the stuff?
https://www.webmd.com/children/news/20180209/hey-kids-just-say-no-to-energy-drinks
"Our review of the available science showed that excessive levels of caffeine found in energy drinks can have adverse effects on cardiovascular, neurological, gastrointestinal, renal and endocrine systems, as well as psychiatric symptoms," Higgins said in an ACSM news release.
"More needs to be done to protect children and adolescents, as well as adults with cardiovascular or other medical conditions," he added.
Among the group's recommendations:
• Stop marketing to at-risk groups, especially children. This includes marketing energy drinks at sporting events involving children and teens.
• Do not consume energy drinks before, during or after intense exercise. Some deaths linked with energy drinks occurred when a person consumed energy drinks before and/or after vigorous activity.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
BTW, Rika says this has been a long long season for her, with all the shows and competitions...it would be very hard on anyone to make it through what she did and not listen to the temptations of stimulants.