Notre Dame cathedral in Paris is destroyed by fire | Golden Skate

Notre Dame cathedral in Paris is destroyed by fire

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Heartbreaking... been watching all afternoon, crying, remembering my own visit there.

No loss of life .. one firefighter seriously injured... preliminary report says fire was accidental
Very moving to see the crowds lining the streets, on bridges, watching, some kneeling in prayer, singing hymns..

Eleanor

On the Ice
I am devastated..

I have never visited it and I regret it deeply today. I will try to go tomorrow if possible. Notre Dame is the beating heart of Paris. 850 years old, witness of the end of the Middle Ages, the plagues, the revolutions, how many Popes and Kings and two Worlds Wars. And Notre Dame was still standing. My heart is broken tonight.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Now they're saying that the main structure looks to be safe, thank God.

I'll be praying for Paris and for all of France and all Catholics. What a horrible thing to happen so close to Easter. May it be quickly rebuilt!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Went to services there on Easter Sunday, 1976. I still remember it as if it were yesterday. Really gutted for this heartbreaking loss.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have never been to France, but a dream has been to visit the cathedral once we're fully retired.

My heart is broken for the French people, but my dream remains. I will visit that cathedral.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What a terrible loss for France :(

I did hear on the news that they have saved the two bell towers so there's that at least.

My family and I went on holiday to France in 1993, alas I don't remember much about Notre Dame...I do remember the Louvre and Paris Disney though....

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:sad21:

I have been to Notre Dame on several occasions, but even when I was in Paris and did not visit, it is such an imposing landmark, I cannot imagine.:sad21:

I have heard that the towers and the vault are intact, so that would be good news, but any damage to such an iconic structure.

:sad21:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is tragic. I really hope there is some hope for restoration after assessments are made. I'm just glad that no one was hurt.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I was planning a visit to Paris sometime this year, and no way I wasn't going to visit Notre Dame... I'm at a loss for words, this is such heartbreaking news, may reconstruction quickly take place

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm not a religious person, but I do have an immense love of history. So, seeing Notre Dame engulfed in flames was truly heartbreaking.

During the coverage last night, some expert that Sky News had got on was commenting about how common it is for things like this to happen during restoration work. And thinking about it, she was right. Using a local example, the exact same thing happened to the Bank Buildings in Belfast during repair work only a few months ago. It is now a burnt out shell, but the owners have committed to restoring it to it's former glory.

Apart from the roof and the spire, the bulk of the external structure of Notre Dame has survived the fire. It is not known yet how bad the damage is to the interior, though. Or how the stained glass windows have fared from the extremes of temperature.

Nevertheless, by no means is all lost. So, although it will take a long number of years, we WILL see Notre Dame rising like a phoenix from the ashes.

Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi!

CaroLiza_fan

EDIT: Here is an in-depth story from the BBC about the fire at Notre Dame:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47943705

And another about what has happened to the "treasures" of Notre Dame:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47937775

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Such heartbreaking news! :sad21: Thank goodness there were no fatalities. May the injured firefighters recover completely.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Such heartbreaking news! :sad21: Thank goodness there were no fatalities. May the injured firefighters recover completely.

I agree totally. I was so saddened to see it burning!!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not a religious person, but I do have an immense love of history. So, seeing Notre Dame engulfed in flames was truly heartbreaking.

During the coverage last night, some expert that Sky News had got on was commenting about how common it is for things like this to happen during restoration work. And thinking about it, she was right. Using a local example, the exact same thing happened to the Bank Buildings in Belfast during repair work only a few months ago. It is now a burnt out shell, but the owners have committed to restoring it to it's former glory.

Apart from the roof and the spire, the bulk of the external structure of Notre Dame has survived the fire. It is not known yet how bad the damage is to the interior, though. Or how the stained glass windows have fared from the extremes of temperature.

Nevertheless, by no means is all lost. So, although it will take a long number of years, we WILL see Notre Dame rising like a phoenix from the ashes.

This is one thing I love (and envy) about Europeans in general, and European culture, the commitment to rebuild, repair, restore and maintain the structures that give everyone, including visitors, such a sense of the value of history and endurance.

I'm very glad that the bulk of the external structure has survived the fire, and that those in charge of making the decisions about how to fight the fire paid attention to that.

I think Notre Dame is a symbol of hope ... through 8 or more centuries ... and this commitment to rebuild creates more hope.

Eleanor

On the Ice
This is one thing I love (and envy) about Europeans in general, and European culture, the commitment to rebuild, repair, restore and maintain the structures that give everyone, including visitors, such a sense of the value of history and endurance.

I'm very glad that the bulk of the external structure has survived the fire, and that those in charge of making the decisions about how to fight the fire paid attention to that.

I think Notre Dame is a symbol of hope ... through 8 or more centuries ... and this commitment to rebuild creates more hope.

If they restore it like it was before the fire... which is uncertain at the moment. Architects are already publishing great 3D computer generated views on social medias. It's more a contest of names and egos rather than a real thought of what we should do.
It leaves me speechless and scared. Even here, where people are still very attached to History, it seems we are eager to leave our footprint and destroy everything around us. Makes me sad.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ oh, dear. I'm so sorry to hear that. My best hopes for healing all around.