ISU Notice of Doping Violations & Disciplinary Action | Golden Skate

ISU Notice of Doping Violations & Disciplinary Action

s_parks

Record Breaker
Not related to figure skating, but man, sin da woon is a bucket of trouble. First the bullying scandal and now this...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
She "forgot" she was taking a banned substance??? Oh come on. She's an athlete in a sport where she knows she will be tested for drugs. Don't you think it might be a good idea to know exactly which drugs are banned? You know, like BEFORE you take them? A one year ban is charitable.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
She "forgot" she was taking a banned substance??? Oh come on. She's an athlete in a sport where she knows she will be tested for drugs. Don't you think it might be a good idea to know exactly which drugs are banned? You know, like BEFORE you take them? A one year ban is charitable.

I understand your anger, but her situation is actually different. The drug she took wasn't a drug per se. It helps with nothing, not even with faster recovery or whatever.
It helps to ... pee. She either was bloated and drank it, or probably wanted to loose like 100 grams, because every little bit helps to keep your weight.
But it is deemed an illegal substance, since sometimes in athletics athletes try to "pee faster" and erase the traces of doping with it, hence it is forbidden and made equal to a doping.
She's not a top notch athlete who was drinking steroids, she just was silly enough not to consult with a doctor before taking any drug. Considering she's not a top athlete in the country, she probably had no access to a team doctor, so no one to advise her on those things.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I understand your anger, but her situation is actually different. The drug she took wasn't a drug per se. It helps with nothing, not even with faster recovery or whatever.
It helps to ... pee. She either was bloated and drank it, or probably wanted to loose like 100 grams, because every little bit helps to keep your weight.
But it is deemed an illegal substance, since sometimes in athletics athletes try to erase the traces of doping with it, hence it is forbidden.
She's not a top notch athlete who was drinking steroids, she just was stupid enough not to consult with a doctor before taking any drug. Considering she's not a top athlete in the country, she probably had no access to a team doctor, so no one to advise her on those things.

diuretics are banned because they erase other substances from the body quicker... there is a reason why it's considered a drug... on top of that, i don't think athletes should try to speed up their metabolism every competition.. in a sport like figure skating where there is already a culture of eating disorder etc, it's certainly not a good idea... taking pills to keep your weight down... not good. Also, top notch athlete or not, the rules are the same for everyone.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
diuretics are banned because they erase other substances from the body quicker... there is a reason why it's considered a drug... on top of that, i don't think athletes should try to speed up their metabolism every competition.. in a sport like figure skating where there is already a culture of eating disorder etc, it's certainly not a good idea... taking pills to keep your weight down... not good. Also, top notch athlete or not, the rules are the same for everyone.

Yup, not trying to excuse her from being punished. Just saying, it appears to me more like she's just a silly young girl, rather than a someone, who was purposefully doping.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Taking diuretics when you don't medically need them can also be dangerous, as it can alter electrolyte balance and cause low blood pressure. That in turn could lead to weakness or fainting, not a good combination with skating.

Since diuretics are a banned substance, the reason for taking them doesn't matter, and doesn't excuse 'silly young girls' for taking them.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Anastasia Shakun's claim about taking the drug

explained that she had taken furosemide upon advice of a pharmacy shortly
before the competition because of an eye swelling, thereby forgetting that it was on the Prohibited
List.

So she claimed she took it for a swollen eye, on the advice of a pharmacist, (and my interpretation: without checking if it was on the banned substance list.) I don't think anyone expects the athletes to memorize the list, but they should CHECK it before taking anything.

This explanation doesn't seem plausible to me: in my experience a swollen eye is treated with antibiotics, not a diureretic. Diuretics are used for large-scale swelling, not for localized swelling.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Alexandra Koshevaia's defense

the Alleged Offender filed her explanation and admitted having taken Torasemide because she had had a swelling (edema) of her foot not long before the Universiade after reading in the internet that the substance may help to remove the swelling. She further stated that she was aware that diuretics are forbidden but she had not known that Torasemide is a diuretic because it is not contained in the WADA Prohibited List.

So she read about it on the internet, but didn't bother to google it to find out more about it. if you google the name of the drug, you'll learn that it's a diuretic without even clicking on any links!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the explanations, @NanaPat.

I really don’t understand some of these defenses; if I was spending all that time and energy and dedication to skating, I wouldn’t drink an orange juice without checking that it was on the banned list. And a diuretic? Even I know they’re banned.

And who takes a diuretic for a black eye? :confused:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I am reading in the link is she took it for a swelling in her foot

I think I may have confused by conflating the two athletes: both took diuretics, one claimed for a swollen foot, one claimed for an eye injury. The swollen foot may make a little more sense, but my experience with family members (and cats:laugh:) is that diuretics are usually for more systemic fluid accumulation, like heart disease.

But I am not a medical professional by any means. Just a fan who knows that diuretics are banned in every sport I follow :shrug:

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
Alexandra Koshevaia's defense

So she read about it on the internet, but didn't bother to google it to find out more about it. if you google the name of the drug, you'll learn that it's a diuretic without even clicking on any links!

It's very famous doping in Russia. Alina Kabaeva tested positive to it and was disqualified, for example. And not only her. I can believe if it was some other drug, but not furosemide.