CBC's "Battle of the Blades" Returns for a fifth Season. | Golden Skate

CBC's "Battle of the Blades" Returns for a fifth Season.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Jessica Wong · CBC News · Posted: Apr 16, 2019 7:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

"

It was a decade ago, but Sandra Bezic still has vivid memories of the night Battle of the Blades debuted at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

"My knees were shaking. My heart was pounding so hard I thought everybody could see it, because we had no idea what would happen," recalled the former figure skater, Olympian, choreographer, skating analyst and producer.

"We had no idea how the hockey players would react under this kind of pressure — under spotlights, skating to music, without a uniform, without their team, without their helmets. And that first night was incredible."

Battle of the Blades made its debut in October 2009, showcasing figure skating pairs made up of former skate pros and ex-hockey stars. Each team aimed to dazzle judges and the voting audience alike, while raising awareness of different causes or charities.

Bezic is hoping to recreate that magic with a fresh instalment of the uber-Canadian, crowd-pleasing reality competition. CBC Television announced on Tuesday that Battle of the Blades will return for a fifth season this fall.

"

Continue Reading Here.

Ziotic

Medalist
I’m dying.

I’m thinking this will be full of the recent retirees. V/M, D/R, Osmond and Chan. That leaves two more figure skaters for 8 episodes.

Maybe they include some lady hockey players this time. Canada has quite a few famous ones.

lurkz2

On the Ice
I’m dying.

I’m thinking this will be full of the recent retirees. V/M, D/R, Osmond and Chan. That leaves two more figure skaters for 8 episodes.

Maybe they include some lady hockey players this time. Canada has quite a few famous ones.

I don't recall singles skaters, especially World Champs like Osmond and Chan, ever joining BOTB. They usually get pairs skaters and ice dancers.

Ziotic

Medalist
I don't recall singles skaters, especially World Champs like Osmond and Chan, ever joining BOTB. They usually get pairs skaters and ice dancers.
Just because it wasn’t done in the past I’m sure it could change!

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada

They could always be judges, though this will be on during the Virtue/Moir Rock tour in October and November, so I doubt they will be part of the show, and certainly not as contestants.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah, this overlaps with the tour, so they wouldn’t be on it (at least this season). If it continues, who knows?

However, I would guess this is the other commitment that Meagan mentioned for why she and Eric weren’t doing the tour.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah, this overlaps with the tour, so they wouldn’t be on it (at least this season). If it continues, who knows?

However, I would guess this is the other commitment that Meagan mentioned for why she and Eric weren’t doing the tour.

yup... seems likely... also, perhaps it would be a good opportunity for Julianne if she is still looking for a partner

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't think of any skating show that has lasted this long and continued to be successful. Sandra must be so proud.

believed

On the Ice
Per the CBC, Vanessa James is doing the show. So I guess James/Cipres are sitting out at least the first half of the season.

“So I talked a little bit with John Zimmerman and Silvia Fontana, the federation and Morgan. We all thought it was a great timeline because it is really just at the beginning of the season — it will clash with something like Skate America but we can ask for Grand Prix events later in the season. Hopefully, we can do NHK and Internationaux de France, but our main focus next season will be Europeans and Worlds.”

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/vanessa-james-ready-for-battle/

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Or because Duhamel is pregnant.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
“So I talked a little bit with John Zimmerman and Silvia Fontana, the federation and Morgan. We all thought it was a great timeline because it is really just at the beginning of the season — it will clash with something like Skate America but we can ask for Grand Prix events later in the season. Hopefully, we can do NHK and Internationaux de France, but our main focus next season will be Europeans and Worlds.”

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/vanessa-james-ready-for-battle/

Interesting choice. And I say that because it is in Canada and while Vanessa James is a fave for gold this year and next with Morgan not exactly the star power many would choose in Canada for their market. Unless of course she was such a bargain / cheap. Someone like Ekaterina Gordeeva, jamie sale, even Jessica Dube, Eric Radford, David Pelletier, Barb undherhill, Paul Martini, Shalene Bourne would be better draws and probably jus as cheap.