CBC's "Battle of the Blades" Returns for a fifth Season. | Page 6 | Golden Skate

CBC's "Battle of the Blades" Returns for a fifth Season.

kkermit

On the Ice
Exactly. The hockey players are the contestants. They're the ones we're supposed to be watching and judging. Of course people on this board (and the TSL guys) know the figure skaters better, but THEY ARE NOT THE CONTESTANTS.

I wonder what will happen if it looks like Violetta and PJ are going to win? PJ is a repeat CONTESTANT. He was chosen at the last minute because of an injury, and he had the time set aside because he was scheduled to be a JUDGE. They have gone out of their way to emphasize that it was 6 years ago, and his prior experience is offset by his lack of training time, but still....

V and PJ will not win. They weren't in any danger in Season 2 and won't win this season. PJ can't really skate at all, however he is progressing in his performance quality. Violetta's strongest advantage over her competitors is her flexibility and adagio lifts. Basically distract everyone with the pretty pictures she creates while PJ is the base. PJ even says this in episode 3 lol. My interpretation of Marie-France's feedback is basically just maximize being actors cuz that's all you got :laugh:

Top 3, IMO: Weaver/Kennedy, Spooner/Poje, Gordeeva/Gervais in that order.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
V and PJ will not win. They weren't in any danger in Season 2 and won't win this season. PJ can't really skate at all, however he is progressing in his performance quality. Violetta's strongest advantage over her competitors is her flexibility and adagio lifts. Basically distract everyone with the pretty pictures she creates while PJ is the base. PJ even says this in episode 3 lol. My interpretation of Marie-France's feedback is basically just maximize being actors cuz that's all you got :laugh:

Top 3, IMO: Weaver/Kennedy, Spooner/Poje, Gordeeva/Gervais in that order.

I am pleasantly surprised and impressed with Spooner and Poje but she seems to have huge limits. They can do lifts which is impressive considering the size difference is small. I think one thing that is interesting to watch is the quality of the pro skater. Sometimes like in Vanessa's case it sort of falls apart when skating with someone who is knt a f igure skater.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
CBC's 1080p YouTube vids from Episode 3:

Amanda Evora & Colton Orr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDbxxa73mH8

Kaitlyn Weaver & Sheldon Kennedy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cADjRxR9MI

Violetta Afanasieva & P.J. Stock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH5BgT2W_8U

Natalie Spooner & Andrew Poje: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOEBRzGxFvc

Vanessa James & Brian McGrattan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev4l11nof0w

Ekaterina Gordeeva & Bruno Gervais: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChNrZJfG7Ko

They were all good! :love:

Weaver and Kennedy have the inside track.

In general, I think that a lady figure skater can cover any dance deficiencies of a male hockey player. All the men have to do is observe the First Rule of Pairs Skating: Don't drop your partner. Violetta and PJ were fine, to me.

This is why Spooner and Poje are so impressive. Natalie is holding her own and Andrew is content to present her, while excelling in unison skating. :rock:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
My order on the podium...

Weaver/Kennedy - Shellie was meant for comedy and the stage. He is the Keegan Messing of the BOTB. Just awesome and Kaitlyn adores him.

Spooner/Poje - she has no fear, determination and a smile that lights up the world. No wonder she did so well in Olympic hockey and on The Amazing Race Canada.

Gordeeva/Gervais - is it me or do these 2 need to go out on a dinner date (if both are single that is). Wonderful chemistry and so sexy!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My order on the podium...

Weaver/Kennedy - Shellie was meant for comedy and the stage. He is the Keegan Messing of the BOTB. Just awesome and Kaitlyn adores him.

Spooner/Poje - she has no fear, determination and a smile that lights up the world. No wonder she did so well in Olympic hockey and on The Amazing Race Canada.

So true. She lights up the world. I get nervous with some of their lifts. I know that even if Andrew seems slight, he's pretty much made of steel, but I still get nervous.

Gordeeva/Gervais - is it me or do these 2 need to go out on a dinner date (if both are single that is). Wonderful chemistry and so sexy!

Occasionally Dave Lease will say what I'm thinking. In this case, he said that Everyone who skates with Katia falls in love with her. No wonder: Katia said, during her season with Val: "we have to give ourselves to each other ... and give our hearts and souls to people." It takes such courage to do that! And yes, the chemistry she has with Bruno is sexy, and completely classy. Also, she's not capable of even a fraction of a second when her positions aren't gorgeous.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that Kaitlin and Sheldon seem right now to be on track to win. I think that BotB in previous seasons avoided the trap of making an inspiring/emotional story a key factor, but there's no denying that such stories generate votes. That might continue to the end, or it might not.

I appreciated @4everchan's explanation of why it's so much harder for Bruno to get votes. Because for me, if you're going on actual skating and performance, Bruno should be right up there. Still, with 4 (?) more episodes, he could make a gradual climb and effect a change. It'll be interesting. Katia's talent for combining emotion with quality could be key.

I enjoyed watching the full episodes before, when I had C BC on my cable package. So I'm missing hearing all the judges' comments, but I'm too stubborn to pay for Gem. (Oh, it's not easy being me! :noshake::laugh: The first week, someone posted the skates with the judges' commentary, but I haven't found them since.

Question #1: So I'll ask: has anyone else seen such videos for weeks 2 and 3?

Question #2: I saw on the BotB website that Kurt said, when explaining why he voted to keep Katia/Bruno on rather than Vanessa/&partner, that he chose between excitement and sentimentality. (or maybe it was just "sentiment," I'm not sure.) Can anyone edify me more? I think it's an interesting comment.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Question #2: I saw on the BotB website that Kurt said, when explaining why he voted to keep Katia/Bruno on rather than Vanessa/&partner, that he chose between excitement and sentimentality. (or maybe it was just "sentiment," I'm not sure.) Can anyone edify me more? I think it's an interesting comment.
I assume he means that he finds Vanessa/Bryan's elements exciting to watch, whereas Ekaterina/Bruno's performance was more affecting.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I assume he means that he finds Vanessa/Bryan's elements exciting to watch, whereas Ekaterina/Bruno's performance was more affecting.

thank you for answering. That's what I thought too, but I wouldn't use the word "sentimentality" about K/B's performance, so I wondered if someone who had heard more had a different idea or conclusion.

It was noticeable that Katia and Bruno didn't do a throw jump that episode ... and there was a good reason: the music was better served and expressed by what they did.

kkermit

On the Ice
Nobody goes home this week! Fix is in. I'm not mad about it. I think we all know who should have been in the skate off but wasn't.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Glad nobody went home this week! I am already sore over Vanessa being eliminated, but hey, it’s just a show. Also, this show makes me so glad they revamped the scoring system from that 6.0 judges feel like it, lol.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol with 6.0 system so that they can fix the score so that nobody goes home...

honestly, pj stock and violetta should be home... kurt didn't want to play bad guy

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I am already sore over Vanessa being eliminated, but hey, it’s just a show. Also, this show makes me so glad they revamped the scoring system from that 6.0 judges feel like it, lol.

Serious question. With Vanessa having been eliminated so early on, is it now possible that Vanessa and Morgan might reconsider the decision to sit out this competitive season?

I’d rather see Vanessa and Morgan skate together, to be honest.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
lol with 6.0 system so that they can fix the score so that nobody goes home...

honestly, pj stock and violetta should be home... kurt didn't want to play bad guy

They don't just say "no elimination" on a whim, as it will/can affect the number of episodes in the show. They probably knew from the start that there would be one "no-elimination" week and that it would be at Kurt's discretion.

Thought they do seem to be making some decisions on the fly, like going from 10.0 to 6.0 and retaining Colby as a judge.

By the way, 6.0 or 10.0 makes no difference at all: just subtract 5 (in 6.0) or 9 (in 10.0) from the score and multiply by 10 to get the REAL score. It just seems less harsh/like people are closer together when they do it the way they are doing it. I don't mind that.

kkermit

On the Ice
Btw, who else saw Brian Orser in the audience? Why the hell was he not a judge?! I don't like it when the hockey judges outnumber the figure skating judges. It just seems like that the decision of who goes home could be in the hands of a guest judge who doesn't understand the intracacies of FS. (nothing against Sarah Nurse, she was lovely, that woman in the audience, however...)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Episode 4: https://gem.cbc.ca/media/battle-of-the-blades/season-5/episode-4/38e815a-011c84229be

Individual performances: https://www.cbc.ca/television/battleoftheblades/blades-performances

Btw, who else saw Brian Orser in the audience? Why the hell was he not a judge?!

Maybe the producers didn't know in advance that he would attend the show last night?

I don't like it when the hockey judges outnumber the figure skating judges. It just seems like that the decision of who goes home could be in the hands of a guest judge who doesn't understand the intracies of FS. (nothing against Sarah Nurse, she was lovely, that woman in the audience, however...)

Agreed.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Serious question. With Vanessa having been eliminated so early on, is it now possible that Vanessa and Morgan might reconsider the decision to sit out this competitive season?

I’d rather see Vanessa and Morgan skate together, to be honest.

Well they already withdrew; I don't think you can we want our spots back now. BEsides they wanted a rest and not to be too burnt out competing so they they would be ready for Beijing. She is trying to the "new" Savchenko and win a OGM.