Boot Issues / Moving Countries | Golden Skate

Boot Issues / Moving Countries

rainyday

Spectator
Hello everyone!

I'm an adult skater, just coming back from a 12 month break after moving countries / injury.

A little bit of history: My mom was coaching me from 5-9, I did some local competitions as a child, then stopped.
I restarted training in my 20's for 2 years (lessons twice a week, about 6-7 hours on ice a week), then suffered injury on my ankle & moved to the UK.
It's safe for me to skate again and do sports, so I got back into working out at the gym (cardio) every other day and went back on the ice last week.

I have no idea what type skate I was wearing in my childhood, the ones I got in my 20's were (Zairas) CrystalII F-130, and I wore them out a lot doing some jumps (mostly single) and combinations spins.
Since I live in a remote area now, it's been a bit of a hike finding a coach for 1:1 lessons again, I have been able to go back to the rink and rent shoes, however they are far from what I'm used to and not a good fit to get back into it.

Bonus: I'm FTM, so I have to look in the black boot category now. I know I have less of a chance in terms of placing at competitions with my body, but I didn't want to give up either.
The UK (NISA) competitions let FTM people compete in the mens category with no restrictions, so I'm looking into more serious training throughout the next years. Since I work part-time I'm okay to get a higher brand boot and separate blades, but it doesn't change that I have very slim and small feet (38 EU, 5 UK).

Where do I go to get new boots, do I wait for a coach and not practise further or do I go out and buy a new set beforehand?
I might be waiting for a month or so to get someone securely, and I doubt they will go on a trip to England with me to find the right fit shoe.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Hello everyone!

I'm an adult skater, just coming back from a 12 month break after moving countries / injury.

A little bit of history: My mom was coaching me from 5-9, I did some local competitions as a child, then stopped.
I restarted training in my 20's for 2 years (lessons twice a week, about 6-7 hours on ice a week), then suffered injury on my ankle & moved to the UK.
It's safe for me to skate again and do sports, so I got back into working out at the gym (cardio) every other day and went back on the ice last week.

I have no idea what type skate I was wearing in my childhood, the ones I got in my 20's were (Zairas) CrystalII F-130, and I wore them out a lot doing some jumps (mostly single) and combinations spins.
Since I live in a remote area now, it's been a bit of a hike finding a coach for 1:1 lessons again, I have been able to go back to the rink and rent shoes, however they are far from what I'm used to and not a good fit to get back into it.

Bonus: I'm FTM, so I have to look in the black boot category now. I know I have less of a chance in terms of placing at competitions with my body, but I didn't want to give up either.
The UK (NISA) competitions let FTM people compete in the mens category with no restrictions, so I'm looking into more serious training throughout the next years. Since I work part-time I'm okay to get a higher brand boot and separate blades, but it doesn't change that I have very slim and small feet (38 EU, 5 UK).

Where do I go to get new boots, do I wait for a coach and not practise further or do I go out and buy a new set beforehand?
I might be waiting for a month or so to get someone securely, and I doubt they will go on a trip to England with me to find the right fit shoe.

Try to find a good fitter nearest to you and try on a variety of boots. The technology has changed so much. I am quite narrow and started in Riedell Motions, which I loved, then switched to Edeas two years ago since they have less break-in time. But you have to try the boots on to see what works for your feet... I wouldn't try to do anything serious in rentals.... Good luck and welcome back to the sport! I hated skating as a kid with a passion (too cold, brother played hockey so I was always bored at the rink) and fell hard for it as an adult.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi Rainyday,

I haven't been to the UK in umpteen years so I can't super-detailed but here's a few suggestions:

You're in the UK and there are lots of rinks dotted around the country!
If the rink you currently skate at has a shop with a decent fitter, start with them. I would ask a coach or other adult skaters about their experiences with that shop, or if they can recommend some other good shops and fitters.
There are highly competitive skaters in the UK so there should be some good expertise to be found. (Someone may even chime in on this forum).

You may need to travel around to try on different models of boots since a shop may only carry a couple of brands. I don't know what boot brands are commonly offered in the UK.

When you get your new skates, break them in slowly and follow the guidelines of whatever the boot manufacturer suggests.

Welcome back to the skating world, have fun, and take it slow!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I live at the other end of the UK, in Darkest Cornwall and we have neither rink nor fitter anywhere close. I'd need to travel at least 200 miles to find a fitter, and after emailing the one I was going to visit, I was so unimpressed with his suggestions of suitable boots, that I ended up buying the ones I was fairly certain I wanted on eBay! Yes, they were a bargain price and yes, I could return them (unworn, obviously) if they were unsuitable. I struck really lucky as they are perfect, but I am also quite old and knew what I wanted!

In your situation, I think I'd be inclined to ask for help in the UK Adult Ice Skating group on Facebook (if you use FB) as it has members from all over the country, and definitely some in the Far, Frozen North who should be able to recommend a suitable fitter/shop.

Welcome back to skating. It's still slippery...

rainyday

Spectator
I live at the other end of the UK, in Darkest Cornwall and we have neither rink nor fitter anywhere close. I'd need to travel at least 200 miles to find a fitter, and after emailing the one I was going to visit, I was so unimpressed with his suggestions of suitable boots, that I ended up buying the ones I was fairly certain I wanted on eBay! Yes, they were a bargain price and yes, I could return them (unworn, obviously) if they were unsuitable. I struck really lucky as they are perfect, but I am also quite old and knew what I wanted!

In your situation, I think I'd be inclined to ask for help in the UK Adult Ice Skating group on Facebook (if you use FB) as it has members from all over the country, and definitely some in the Far, Frozen North who should be able to recommend a suitable fitter/shop.

Welcome back to skating. It's still slippery...

Thank you, I'm going to check out the group!
I'm planning on going on the 2h trip (one way) to the nearest fitter that seems to have at least some range of brands in my area, it#s really going to hurt my wallet though to go there every time for sharpening.
I do hope I find something on time, I got my first lesson coming up again next week and I won't be able to do anything in rental macrusty's.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you, I'm going to check out the group!
I'm planning on going on the 2h trip (one way) to the nearest fitter that seems to have at least some range of brands in my area, it#s really going to hurt my wallet though to go there every time for sharpening.
I do hope I find something on time, I got my first lesson coming up again next week and I won't be able to do anything in rental macrusty's.

There must be somebody at your rink capable of doing a decent grind. The father of one of the coaches at my rink does them beautifully, thank goodness; it was one of my biggest worries when I started back with skating.

Also check out the availability of second-hand boots in your size. Black boots in a UK6 often belong to younger teenage boys, who are more likely to give up skating than girls and often - much to the chagrin of their parents - quite soon after the purchase of expensive new boots and blades. Having small, narrow feet may be a real blessing!

rainyday

Spectator
There must be somebody at your rink capable of doing a decent grind. The father of one of the coaches at my rink does them beautifully, thank goodness; it was one of my biggest worries when I started back with skating.

Also check out the availability of second-hand boots in your size. Black boots in a UK6 often belong to younger teenage boys, who are more likely to give up skating than girls and often - much to the chagrin of their parents - quite soon after the purchase of expensive new boots and blades. Having small, narrow feet may be a real blessing!

Thank you!
I have found a used pair on ebay, which will do fine for the rest of this month if they fit!
I have gotten some recommendations on facebook in terms of shops as well, so I will try and test what they have as well!