Boot Colors & Competitions as a Trans* Skater | Golden Skate

Boot Colors & Competitions as a Trans* Skater

rainyday

Spectator
Hello again!

I have found some wonderful help in my last thread and wanted to ask away further.
I'm an adult skater, recently back to coached training & living in the UK.
I'm from another EU country & have a different name and title in the UK, as I'm FTM trans.

Growing up I obviously always wore white skates, and now that I'm faced with buying skates that are able to hold stronger jumps, I have to fix on a color.
I don't know for certain if I can participate in any UK NISA-bound competitions, as my nationality isn't British, if I compete internationally, with my passport name, that is, I'll still be classed as Female and have to present in white boots.

My coach couldn't give me much advice other than do what I'm comfortable with and there are always boot covers.

I don't present particularly female, but I haven't had any surgeries or hormones yet, and I won't be until at least next year.
ISU and NISA say in their guidelines it's open for FTM participants to compete in the male category, but the threshold is much higher;
As long as I'm not on hormones I'm technically allowed to compete in either category.

(Costume-wise I'm fortunate enough to know people who make costumes for ballet and dancers in general and I can sneak my ideas in there, to get something that's neither too feminine or too masculine to wear to either competition, though I do prefer black lessing/pants anyway, I don't think I'd be comfortable enough with a lot of tan coloured leg :,))

Regarding the technical program, as it's really common to see male skaters land triple turn jumps, but it's only been done a handful of times in competition by women.
Since my body still has a very female shape, I'm very skinny and around 5'7, I'm not sure if I could make it to that point.

I haven't seen ANY trans* or NB skaters on the media, at least not in figure skating, and I was wondering if there were any adult or figure skaters on here, that have experience with competitions?

treblemakerem

On the Ice
As for the boot color, if you feel more comfortable in black that’s what you should get. Even if you end up competing in the ladies category there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to wear black boots. There was a female ice dancer who wore black boots this year and I know several women at my rink who wear black boots because they just like the color better.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I don't know for certain if I can participate in any UK NISA-bound competitions, as my nationality isn't British, if I compete internationally, with my passport name, that is, I'll still be classed as Female and have to present in white boots.

There's no rule stating that athletes competing in the women's category have to wear white boots. You can wear black boots regardless of your gender. If you prefer black boots, wear black boots.

jf12

Final Flight
Go ahead and get black boots if they're more comfortable for every day practice. Whether you compete in mens or womens, if you're not wearing skin tights and a dress (ie, wear dark colored pants or a jumpsuit) black boots are going to look fine. Pants outfits are increasingly popular with women competitors now too.

With regards to technical requirements, given that you'll be competing in adults, I wouldn't worry about whether it'll be harder or easier to place as a man or woman. For even the elite category at adult competitions it's always easier to place as a man anyway, even if you score lower than the men, just because there are way less entrants. There are very few triples in men and women even at the top level. Additionally, at the most popular levels, silver and gold, the technical requirements are the same for men and women. Most adults, male and female, including probably yourself if you were only doing mostly singles as a kid as per your last post, will do maximum single axel and 1 or 2 easier doubles in competitions. You should watch some of the ISU Obertsdorf adult competition to get a sense of what people are doing.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Go for whatever color you want! I am a cis female. I personally have never skated, but I would totally buy black boots over white boots if given the opportunity. I just think they look nicer! :confused2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You...do realise that the boot colours aren't mandatory, right? There was a Ukranian ice dancer this season who wore black boots because she felt they matched her dress better.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wear whatever color boots you want. It's not that strict anymore, plus many companies like Riedell now make any color you want: Pink, Orange snakeskin, etc...

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Where what you like. My current boots are purple

My envy knows no bounds. Purple. Heaven.

Mine are beige suede. I've had beige boots for years (cis female ex-pro) but I also rather covet the delicious black suede boots of some of the ladies who skate at my rink. And in my experience people cover all shades of boots in covers of every colour of the rainbow, gender immaterial. Don't sweat the small stuff, honey. Wear whatever you find fits you - and your feet - best. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
You...do realise that the boot colours aren't mandatory, right? There was a Ukranian ice dancer this season who wore black boots because she felt they matched her dress better.

THIS!

Personally, it's all about the leg line. Purple Tights or Pants...Purple Skates and so on. No matter what color her dress was, Maria Butyrskaya always wore Tan boots because they made her legs look longer. I say, choose what ever makes you happy. However, be prepared to change if you get negative feedback from the judges.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
However, be prepared to change if you get negative feedback from the judges.

Which, OP, you will NOT, because NO judge is going to give negative feedback for boot colour. There are NO RULES for it. NO JUDGE is going to mark you down.