Backspin Help | Golden Skate

Backspin Help

sarahspiral

Rinkside
Hi. I'm having so much trouble with my backspin. After crossing my legs, I get about 3 revolutions but then all of a sudden, my blade will just stop moving. I think what's happening is I'm getting back towards the heel of my skate and I just come to a complete standstill when that happens. I'm not sure how to prevent this. I've watched videos but they haven't helped with this particular problem. I've tried focusing on trying to spin over my baby toe, and thinking about this does ensure that I'm getting over on my outside edge, but it's not helping in terms of keeping me from shifting to the back of my blade. Does anyone know of any way that I can keep from shifting to the back of my blade or is the only answer just lots and lots of practice. I'm happy to keep practicing but I'm not sure that it's going to help when I keep moving to the back of my blade as I practice. My practice may just be reinforcing the bad habit of shifting to the back. Would using one of those at-home spinners help with this? I have one that is about the size of my foot that's made by Jerry's but I don't use it much b/c I live in a small place where there's not much room. I'm always afraid that if I fall off of it, I'll hit a piece of furniture, lol! But if it will help with this problem, I'll start using it again....I may just have to move some furniture to use it! I welcome any suggestions. Thank You. :)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Spinners are very different from the ice, but mine really helps me. Definitely don't use it in a small space if you can't do it safely.

I can totally relate to the stalling blade thing. My problem with spinning is shifting to the front of my blade or lurching forward, which in my case is definitely caused by weak back muscles and hamstrings. Ask your coach if some off-ice exercise might help, and which muscles to target if that is part of it.

sarahspiral

Rinkside
Spinners are very different from the ice, but mine really helps me. Definitely don't use it in a small space if you can't do it safely.

I can totally relate to the stalling blade thing. My problem with spinning is shifting to the front of my blade or lurching forward, which in my case is definitely caused by weak back muscles and hamstrings. Ask your coach if some off-ice exercise might help, and which muscles to target if that is part of it.

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of the possibility of doing anything off-ice to help, other than using one of those spinners. I've got a lesson today so I'll ask my coach about this. Good luck with your backspin too! Thank You!

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi. I'm having so much trouble with my backspin. After crossing my legs, I get about 3 revolutions but then all of a sudden, my blade will just stop moving. I think what's happening is I'm getting back towards the heel of my skate and I just come to a complete standstill when that happens. I'm not sure how to prevent this. I've watched videos but they haven't helped with this particular problem. I've tried focusing on trying to spin over my baby toe, and thinking about this does ensure that I'm getting over on my outside edge, but it's not helping in terms of keeping me from shifting to the back of my blade. Does anyone know of any way that I can keep from shifting to the back of my blade or is the only answer just lots and lots of practice. I'm happy to keep practicing but I'm not sure that it's going to help when I keep moving to the back of my blade as I practice. My practice may just be reinforcing the bad habit of shifting to the back. Would using one of those at-home spinners help with this? I have one that is about the size of my foot that's made by Jerry's but I don't use it much b/c I live in a small place where there's not much room. I'm always afraid that if I fall off of it, I'll hit a piece of furniture, lol! But if it will help with this problem, I'll start using it again....I may just have to move some furniture to use it! I welcome any suggestions. Thank You. :)
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem. I’m wondering if my spin rocker is to blame or if it’s me!