Daleman: Cracked ribs from collision | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Daleman: Cracked ribs from collision

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
So, this year 3 top ladies got damage during warm up (Shcherbakova, Eun-soo Lim, Daleman), I guess it's too much, but is it fault of ISU or just bad luck?

When you take into account how many competitions there are and how many skaters, three is not that much. I think it's simply very, very bad luck.

pearly

Record Breaker
I saw Gabby’s recent Instagram post on how she has never been better and I fear she’s on a downward spiral again. People who are well do not feel the need to post about how well they are.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
This sounds so bad. I hope she is okay. She is such an inspiring presence... it reminds me why I stopped watching FS after it attracted my attention in Sochi.

evasorange

Final Flight
I saw Gabby’s recent Instagram post on how she has never been better and I fear she’s on a downward spiral again. People who are well do not feel the need to post about how well they are.

yep, I don't want to do too much speculating but a lot of what she posts just makes me more concerned for her. She's such a powerful skater with truly beautiful jumps but it kind of seems like competitive skating is not the healthiest choice for her mind and body...I just wish healing for her:pray:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was worried for Gabby, I know how it feels to hit the ice hard face first. I fell a couple of months ago, and really did a number on my right knee and left arm. Poor Gabby, both Kurt and Carol commented their concerns for her during the long program. I knew this is why she did not have the results she wanted after her free skate. She deserves a gold medal for having the guts to do her free skate after the awful collision. I wish her the best in her recovery and pray she can continue to heal mentally and emotionally for next season. Go Gabby!

:bow::points::medal"

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have only one question - where were the doctors of Canadian team? Why, after the FP, they did not do a medical examination of Gabi? Diagnosing suspicion of cracked ribs is not at all difficult for an experienced doctor, even without x-ray. And then send her to the x-ray examination in local hospital to confirm the diagnosis. This is the basics, it is their direct duty. Why was this not done, why did she skate the gala? Why does an elite athlete learn about сracked ribs only at home? How could that be possible? What if she fell on gala and fell on the same side?

I respectfully disagree. This isnt the same as the Ashley and Tim Case. Originally I missed all of this as I skipped the warm up when I watched the comp, but I just went back and watched the fall in stop action and her body language and what she looked like she said to people..she blew this off to herself and others as just a bad fall. Watch her again and watch her skate her program. And watch her in the K and C. None of the nasty injuries were yet visible. I want to know what she actually told her coach....if she told her coach she hit her head, then I am with you 100 percent....if she blew this off to her coach, then I cant blame anyone but her....this is very sad but I am glad LL didnt get hurt and that no one got cut by those blades. Prayers for Gabby emotionally and physically.:pray:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In the coaches and medical team's defense, you really have to use stop action and look hard to see what was injured...it was that fast. First she held her ribs, then her knee....I dont think I saw her hold her head...do we know what she told them?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also, I remember Gabby fell heavily during the FS too, so I imagine some of the bruises could be from that as well.

But gee it's really scary about the concussion! I do hope she's not to rattle by it...I mean I know I'd be freaked out if I went to the doctor later and found out I'd unknowingly skated with a concussion. Like scared to go back out on the ice for a bit scared (although I'm an admitted wuss).

Unfortunately, I heard on Twitter that Gabby took her post down because people were accusing her of faking it? Which is not cool.

Hope the bruises heal up quickly.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Unfortunately, I heard on Twitter that Gabby took her post down because people were accusing her of faking it? Which is not cool.

This is disgusting. Why do people make such accusations? Poor girl, you fall heavily, you get concussed and break ribs, and then when you want to inform 'fans', you're accused of faking. I know it's a rumour, so perhaps not true (I hope it's not true) but if it is, I'm just disgusted.

LRK

Record Breaker
This is disgusting. Why do people make such accusations? Poor girl, you fall heavily, you get concussed and break ribs, and then when you want to inform 'fans', you're accused of faking. I know it's a rumour, so perhaps not true (I hope it's not true) but if it is, I'm just disgusted.

Yes, I too hope it's just a rumour, but it happens too often for comfort. It's bad enough when it happens on a forum, but to go on to a skater's social media, and instead of wishing them well, accusing them of faking injuries? Really, that would be disgustingly low. Anyway, whether it is true in this case or no, I'm so tired of it in general. Some people just like to feel that they can see through a brick wall better than the next person - and, lo and behold, all they see through it is nastiness. And I can't help but feel that the nastiness they see is all their own.

Sorry for the rant, and all the best to Gabby.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, I too hope it's just a rumour, but it happens too often for comfort. It's bad enough when it happens on a forum, but to go on to a skater's social media, and instead of wishing them well, accusing them of faking injuries? Really, that would be disgustingly low. Anyway, whether it is true in this case or no, I'm so tired of it in general. Some people just like to feel that they can see through a brick wall better than the next person - and, lo and behold, all they see through it is nastiness. And I can't help but feel that the nastiness they see is all their own.

Sorry for the rant, and all the best to Gabby.

Sadly, there seems to be a breed of person that draws comfort by knocking others down and hurting them. The world of the internet gives these bullies carte blanche to attack just about anyone they want. And popular talented beautiful hard working figure skaters make great targets. How sad....

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Who? Links to source?

Well, this tweet was the one I saw: https://twitter.com/tchaikovskaya/status/1120315896797499392 - Which was a bit dramatic, but seeing that Gabby's post on IG was indeed gone I figured something must have happened.

And while trying to find it again, the first thing that popped up in a search on Twitter was someone saying the bruises looked fake, but I guess that's the internet for you.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
gosh... her mother was the first one posting the bruises on twitter... so they are saying both gabby and her mom are fakers? give me a break

her bruises look very dark, i bruise differently when i break a bone... but that doesn't mean that they are fake? give me another break.

and finally, Gabby has been so honest with her fans all year, about all the issues she's been through... etc... why would she suddenly need to fake an injury? give me a third and final break

Scott512

Record Breaker
gosh... her mother was the first one posting the bruises on twitter... so they are saying both gabby and her mom are fakers? give me a break

her bruises look very dark, i bruise differently when i break a bone... but that doesn't mean that they are fake? give me another break.

and finally, Gabby has been so honest with her fans all year, about all the issues she's been through... etc... why would she suddenly need to fake an injury? give me a third and final break

This wonderful girl has gone through hell this season. I just hope she has a wonderful off-season of rest and relaxation so she can let her injuries heal and regroup mentally.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've always said that those who accuse skaters of faking, reveal more about themselves than they do about the skater.

stregadellanotte

Spectator
I feel bad for Gabby. She has gone through a lot and I hope she will be able to make a come-back in the future. In the mean-time, she needs to step away and focus on her-self so she can try to recover from all the issues that are plaguing her. Re: the injuries. I'm now a little confused about them. Initially, she had posted those awful, painful looking photos of the bruises which she then took down due to people being jerks. At the same time, she just posted a video and there is not a bruise on her jaw-line to be seen. Was she able to cover it up with make-up ? I can't imagine bruises clearing up that quickly (and, if they do, what's in her diet, 'cause I could use that help. LoL), so yeah...really confused. Not saying she is faking it, but can now understand why a jerk would take it to that level. Either way, she is one of my favourite skaters, so just want her to get on the right medication or therapy track and get better soon. It'd be fantastic to see her skate a programme clean and strong.