Axel help (with video) | Golden Skate

Axel help (with video)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I am increasingly frustrated with my inability to stop pre rotating so much on my axel. When I do preparatory drills (waltz-loop, waltz-backspin) I jump correctly, but when I go to do my axel it goes out the window. What I end up with is a jump that looks like it’s supposed to be an axel but pre rotates half a revolution on the ice.

I honestly think I’m afraid to jump up and this habit is so badly ingrained that I’m having trouble getting over that mental hurdle (My old coach let me get away with this). I have done the axel in the harness and my take off was much better- then off the harness I reverted back to what I was previously doing.

Basically I feel like I am never going to get this right. At least my other jumps have gotten better from all the backspin drills.

Attached is an example- any mental tips to jump up/stop pre rotating are appreciated.

https://youtu.be/1kbUBJcVXUk

Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am increasingly frustrated with my inability to stop pre rotating so much on my axel. When I do preparatory drills (waltz-loop, waltz-backspin) I jump correctly, but when I go to do my axel it goes out the window. What I end up with is a jump that looks like it’s supposed to be an axel but pre rotates half a revolution on the ice.

I honestly think I’m afraid to jump up and this habit is so badly ingrained that I’m having trouble getting over that mental hurdle (My old coach let me get away with this). I have done the axel in the harness and my take off was much better- then off the harness I reverted back to what I was previously doing.

Basically I feel like I am never going to get this right. At least my other jumps have gotten better from all the backspin drills.

Attached is an example- any mental tips to jump up/stop pre rotating are appreciated.

https://youtu.be/1kbUBJcVXUk

Thank you!

There are several issues I am seeing that correcting may help. It's hard to tell from such a quick short video but you seem to be pre-rotating your shoulders/upper body prematurely and also your take off with your knee in the air. Your not fully getting the pop up and extension that you should, I can't tell much from the video if the issue is also in your hip.

I hope this helps as it's really hard to tell and judge to fix from video and would be easier in person.

jf12

Final Flight
it looks like you’re jumping using your free leg and arms a lot- your skating leg is never fully straightening, it is bent all through the jump. Without the skating leg initiating the jump, you never get over and out over the toe pick and that is why you come around. You could be getting ahead of yourself thinking it needs to be bent in your air position. Think in your head that the jump is 80% skating leg 20% free leg that gets you up.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Wow - it's not a horrible axel and you do go for it!!

The main problems I see are:

1. You do not set up your take-off as you probably do with your waltz jump. In the video, your arms are rather limp at your side, instead of going back for the take-off set-up.

2. You do not pass your free leg past the take-off leg as you probably do in your waltz jump. You kinda bend it at the knee and fling yourself around to get the rotation. Very common.

One of my coaches always told me to not stress out on the rotation, but get the proper take-off before pulling my arms in for the jumps. When I jump, I always think the word "up" in my mind to help me go UP!
You may have to dial back to straighten your axel take-off; a mentally painful and frustrating task as you'll lose your rotation at first. But the jump will get better in the long run.
Keep up the good attempts! :thumbsup: