2019-20 Team China | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Team China

HoneyBear

On the Ice
Last time I check Boyang was nursing some kind of injury. He posted a picture of his ankle on sns. But he continued to skate in Ice Fantasia so I hope that means it's not serious.
And I feel very bad for Gao Yumeng, if the split rumor is true.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
Ziquan Zhao competed in Winter Universiade so she is planning to be back.
Yixuan Zhang who competed in JGP in 17-18 season have also upgrade her skills and are training with 3A.

Ziquan recycled her short program from last season and withdrew from the free skate. Is she really coming back?

In case anybody's wondering about Yixuan Zhang, here's an attempt at 3A (step-out) in Feburary:
https://www.weibo.com/5043429247/Hf...9247_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment
And another (failed) 3A attempt coming back from a back injury:
https://www.weibo.com/5043429247/Ho...9247_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment

GarthAqua

On the Ice
Ziquan recycled her short program from last season and withdrew from the free skate. Is she really coming back?

In case anybody's wondering about Yixuan Zhang, here's an attempt at 3A (step-out) in Feburary:
https://www.weibo.com/5043429247/Hf...9247_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment
And another (failed) 3A attempt coming back from a back injury:
https://www.weibo.com/5043429247/Ho...9247_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment

Yixuan Zhang did a good job in recent national event. Her free program contains 2A3T 3Lz2T 3Lo(poped into single) 3S1Eu2S 2A 3Lz 3T. Maybe play it safe. She did a 3F in her short. So she has the technical stuff.
program here:
SP: https://www.weibo.com/5374899622/Hr...9622_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment
LP: https://www.weibo.com/5374899622/Hr...9622_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment

Also Xiangyi An competed in the same event in the advanced novice level. technical content: 3T3T 2A 3Lz in short, 3Lz2T 3S 3F 3Lo // 3Lz(Fall) 2A3T. She is also training with 3Lz3T and 3Lz1Eu3S.
SP: https://www.weibo.com/5374899622/Hr...9622_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment
LP: https://www.weibo.com/5374899622/Hr...9622_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment

vitamintea

On the Ice
Thinking about the skaters and programs coming up, I would love for Team China to debut competitive programs that really highlight their/our heritage or modern culture. Sui and Han’s gala was breathtaking and should provide the impetus for Chinese skaters to embrace the music that comes from their own country! I’m Chinese-American and I love watching period dramas, and I’ve noticed many have spectacular soundtracks that could be edited to tell a story or capture a mood. Not to mention, there are plenty of movie soundtracks from directors like Zhang Yimou (Hero and Raise the Red Lantern) or Ang Li. I feel like so many programs are done to classical music and western composers. I would find it incredible for Chinese skaters to really show the world their/our culture.

believed

On the Ice
Thinking about the skaters and programs coming up, I would love for Team China to debut competitive programs that really highlight their/our heritage or modern culture. Sui and Han’s gala was breathtaking and should provide the impetus for Chinese skaters to embrace the music that comes from their own country! I’m Chinese-American and I love watching period dramas, and I’ve noticed many have spectacular soundtracks that could be edited to tell a story or capture a mood. I feel like so many programs are done to classical music and western composers. I would find it incredible for Chinese skaters to really show the world their/our culture.

I agree so much!! The first person/team to do anything from some of the dramas I love would automatically be my favorites.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
Thinking about the skaters and programs coming up, I would love for Team China to debut competitive programs that really highlight their/our heritage or modern culture. Sui and Han’s gala was breathtaking and should provide the impetus for Chinese skaters to embrace the music that comes from their own country! I’m Chinese-American and I love watching period dramas, and I’ve noticed many have spectacular soundtracks that could be edited to tell a story or capture a mood. Not to mention, there are plenty of movie soundtracks from directors like Zhang Yimou (Hero and Raise the Red Lantern) or Ang Li. I feel like so many programs are done to classical music and western composers. I would find it incredible for Chinese skaters to really show the world their/our culture.

Hasn't team China been doing this for a while now? With all these CTHD, Butterfly Lovers, and Yellow River concerto programs, just to name a few?

GarthAqua

On the Ice

I'm sure they will save the best Chinese music/sound track to the 21-22 season. Let's say the butterfly lovers will be a must have choice. That's a predication.
Maybe top skaters like Sui and Han will get original music composed for them and in Chinese style. Last year they had Zhang Yimou's help with the LP so it won't be a surprise for them to get custom-made music.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

peng/jin's EX was on "The last emperor" music and they used a chinese sword as a prop (but sadly not traditional costumes)

icybear

Medalist

I think there have been quite a few Chinese programs. Boyang did Crouching tiger hidden dragon last year, Peng/Jin did butterfly lovers. The year before Zijun Li did a Tan Dun piece. Peng/Zhang also did CTHD in 2014. Chen Lu once did Butterfly lovers too.

vitamintea

On the Ice
Thanks all for the examples!! I'm definitely going to look some of these programs up. But to clarify a little more to what I was thinking, I guess I didn't say it explicitly, but I would love to see programs that contain Chinese singing or vocalization. English music is acceptable regardless of where you're from, as are Latin and French. But you hardly ever hear any Asian-language vocals.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
Thanks all for the examples!! I'm definitely going to look some of these programs up. But to clarify a little more to what I was thinking, I guess I didn't say it explicitly, but I would love to see programs that contain Chinese singing or vocalization. English music is acceptable regardless of where you're from, as are Latin and French. But you hardly ever hear any Asian-language vocals.

The only programs with Chinese vocals I can think of are Zijun Li' free skate "Only For Love", which is a piece Tan Dun composed for the Feng Xiaogang-directed film "The Banquet", and Shiyue Wang/Xinyu Liu'a free dance "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", which contains the Chinese version of "A Love Before Time". If you are going for Chinese vocals from traditional operas, I don't think there are any and honestly I don't think they will suit competitive programs.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I would like to see some more "authentic" Chinese music with traditional instruments and/or folk music, not soundtracks from the blockbuster Chinese movies created primarily for the Western audience and win an international award, because they are very much like Western music.

New age Chines music will work well. I really liked this program from Maisy Hiu Ching MA, especially the choreography with distinctive Chinese folk dance movements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhOfHtQeyc

Moaray

Rinkside
Based on Weibo, Sui and Han are currently in Newport Beach, CA. Maybe they will train with Rafael or meet with the new choreographer?
Feiyao Tang and Yongchao Yang are also in the US training with Todd Eldredge.

Ykai

On the Ice
The Chinese opera part will be difficult, but a good cut of the soundtrack might work, include part of the theme duet by Leslie Cheung and Sandy Lam

Agree. The opera part is quite difficult, but it will be really amazing if some of these elements could be cut and incorporated organically. It is entirely personal taste that I always prefer music than vocal. Music offers more freedom in terms of interpretation, but opera is a different kind of vocal, and choreograph can get creative.

icybear

Medalist
Boyang just posted on weibo for music suggestion. Some of the ideas are just too humorous.

icybear

Medalist
Sad I don't have a weibo account. What are the suggestions? Would you share the fun ;)

"Can you feel the love tonight", "You raise me up", "Dont stop me now", Hedwig's theme. Praying Lori Nicol doesnt sees these suggestions :pray: