2019-20 Team China | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Team China

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
The only programs with Chinese vocals I can think of are Zijun Li' free skate "Only For Love", which is a piece Tan Dun composed for the Feng Xiaogang-directed film "The Banquet", and Shiyue Wang/Xinyu Liu'a free dance "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", which contains the Chinese version of "A Love Before Time". If you are going for Chinese vocals from traditional operas, I don't think there are any and honestly I don't think they will suit competitive programs.

Na Hyun KIM from Korea skated partly to a vocal of House of Flying Daggers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf95XRZVTpU

HoneyBear

On the Ice
Sad I don't have a weibo account. What are the suggestions? Would you share the fun ;)

Also soundtracks from The Greatest Showman and Kung Fu Panda, the usual warhorses such as Moulin Rouge, Turandot, Carmen, Les Mis, etc, and for some reason Taylor Swift and Katy Perry.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Wow, I certainly didn't know this Hedwig, and was very surprised to see the picture in the link. I need to check this out, looks like a lot of fun.

sometimes my references are strange, i know :biggrin:

Also soundtracks from The Greatest Showman and Kung Fu Panda, the usual warhorses such as Moulin Rouge, Turandot, Carmen, Les Mis, etc, and for some reason Taylor Swift and Katy Perry.

i love kung fu panda soundtrack! we could have another funny and nerdy program after spiderman and star wars, the greatest showman, i'm afraid, it's going to be the next warorse alongside lalala land, anyway i think boyang could sell it.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
i love kung fu panda soundtrack! we could have another funny and nerdy program after spiderman and star wars.

I don't like Kung Fu Panda in general. If it can be said that films like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero or House of Flying Daggers are somewhat tailored for the western audience, Kung Fu Panda is an entirely Western product. And the soundtrack feels quite juniorish. I hope Boyang does not choose Kung Fu Panda soundtracks.
I think this season's short program has shown that Boyang doesn't necessarily have to be "nerdy" to be entertaining.

icybear

Medalist
I don't like Kung Fu Panda in general. If it can be said that films like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero or House of Flying Daggers are somewhat tailored for the western audience, Kung Fu Panda is an entirely Western product. And the soundtrack feels quite juniorish. I hope Boyang does not choose Kung Fu Panda soundtracks.
I think this season's short program has shown that Boyang doesn't necessarily have to be "nerdy" to be entertaining.

Actually there's one soundtrack that is kinda okay. It's a piano cover of one the soundtrack. Rika Khira once used it but I thought her music edits were kinda awkward. She should have just used the first 2:30 mins of it which works perfectly well. I've even thought of the layout. :biggrin: First jump at 0.30, 2nd jump at 1:00 and then straight into 1st spin, 2nd spin at 1.14, step seq at 1:30 and ends at 1:57, 3rd jump at 2.11, final spin at 2:16, programs ends at 2:29. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg5lw3hOkhI

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

kung fu panda is an hommage to 70s american kung fu movies, it's like a children version of a tarantino idea :biggrin: but i can understand why it may bother you (as an italian i know one thing or two about stereotypes and be bothered by them. does the padrino ring any bell?:biggrin:) i also know boyang's skills allow him to show many nuances in his performances and he doesn't have to be nerdy (wich is a compliment to me :laugh:) i just find it funny and i love funny programs and i think i likes them too. btw to stay in the chinese traditional(ish) music with an appeal to westerners, what about the last emeperor soundtrack? peng/jin used where is Arno in their EX and there are many more beautiful pieces. i think boyang has the maturity to portray Pu Iy with all his dramas, child ruler, emperor without an empire, prisoner of stagnating traditions and himself, relic of long gone past, defeated by history (and a series of very wrong choices).

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
If I am not mistaken, Rika's Kung Fu Piano is from the Piano Guys, and it has nothing to do with Kung Fu Panda soundtracks, though it is a new age fusion of Chinese-Western music. I would say many Piano Guys and Lindsay Sterling's pieces are good for skating.

Actually there's one soundtrack that is kinda okay. It's a piano cover of one the soundtrack. Rika Khira once used it but I thought her music edits were kinda awkward. She should have just used the first 2:30 mins of it which works perfectly well. I've even thought of the layout. :biggrin: First jump at 0.30, 2nd jump at 1:00 and then straight into 1st spin, 2nd spin at 1.14, step seq at 1:30 and ends at 1:57, 3rd jump at 2.11, final spin at 2:16, programs ends at 2:29. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg5lw3hOkhI

icybear

Medalist
If I am not mistaken, Rika's Kung Fu Piano is from the Piano Guys, and it has nothing to do with Kung Fu Panda soundtracks, though it is a new age fusion of Chinese-Western music. I would say many Piano Guys and Lindsay Sterling's pieces are good for skating.

Yes it is. The Piano guys piece is a piano cover of one of the Kung fu panda soundtrack - Oogway ascends.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
kung fu panda is an hommage to 70s american kung fu movies, it's like a children version of a tarantino idea :biggrin: but i can understand why it may bother you (as an italian i know one thing or two about stereotypes and be bothered by them. does the padrino ring any bell?:biggrin:) i also know boyang's skills allow him to show many nuances in his performances and he doesn't have to be nerdy (wich is a compliment to me :laugh:) i just find it funny and i love funny programs and i think i likes them too. btw to stay in the chinese traditional(ish) music with an appeal to westerners, what about the last emeperor soundtrack? peng/jin used where is Arno in their EX and there are many more beautiful pieces. i think boyang has the maturity to portray Pu Iy with all his dramas, child ruler, emperor without an empire, prisoner of stagnating traditions and himself, relic of long gone past, defeated by history (and a series of very wrong choices).

I do like the last emperor soundtrack. Very curious to see what Boyang would choose for next season's programs. Right now he seems to be playing with the idea of musical pieces. He asked for recommendations of musicals.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I do like the last emperor soundtrack. Very curious to see what Boyang would choose for next season's programs. Right now he seems to be playing with the idea of musical pieces. He asked for recommendations of musicals.

i happened to watch just today Fosse-Verdon (a TV show about the relationship and careers of Bob Fosse and Gwen Vernon), what about Chicago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNWbl2TYGUQ

(just to stay away from warhorses :biggrin:)

HoneyBear

On the Ice
I am so glad the Chinese team is working with Brian and Tracy. In the video, I only spot the pairs, but no Boyang or other single skaters. Will there be a separate camp for them? I hope so

I don't think so. Boyang has never been anywhere near these TCC training camps the national team set up for the pairs.

Ykai

On the Ice
I don't think so. Boyang has never been anywhere near these TCC training camps the national team set up for the pairs.

Because Boyang is under a different coach, so he can not participate in the TCC camp??? I feel bad about this. Boyang can benefit greatly from Brian and Tracy. He is so talented. If he improves his skating skills under Brian's supervision, he could podium with better chance, anyway.

Early this year, I learned that Benoit is working with the Chinese team, and he is giving Nini and Zhang/Yu new programs. I feel happy for Nini and Zhang/Yu. But then I was secretly hoping Boyang can get a program from Benoit. I know it is not very realistic...........

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
At the Cup of China this coming season, will we see any promising senior ladies for the Chinese team? There’ll be 3 spots for them. I’m hoping to see Beverly Zhu. And other upcoming greats.

Ykai

On the Ice
At the Cup of China this coming season, will we see any promising senior ladies for the Chinese team? There’ll be 3 spots for them. I’m hoping to see Beverly Zhu. And other upcoming greats.

I hope to see Beverly too. Then the three spots would be Yi Christy Leung, Hongyi Chen and Beverly Zhu :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yi Christy Leung competes for Hong-Kong. Can she get the GP spots of China?

Nirti

Medalist
As she's skating for Hongkong, Yi Christy Leung can't use any chinese host spot. But she'll probably be invited by the Chinese fed to fulfil one of the 9 other spots.