Boot stiffness | Golden Skate

Boot stiffness

Mindoro1972

Rinkside
Hello

Does anybody knows if the so called number of boot stiffness is based on the same scale for all skates ? I.E., would a 60 or a 90 be equal to all brands ? And what is the highest stiffness women boots could have ? Does the best world skater (freestyle) necessarily skate in the highest stiffness boots ?

many thanks

Nimyue

On the Ice
Oh my. So how do they come up with those numbers then ? It does not mean anything ?

Each manufacturer determines their own ratings. There is information on their websites telling you their stiffness number and what support that is suitable for. Reidell has a very nice chart, Jackson, you need to look at each model etc.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks !!
Seems there are no straight answer....
Anyway...
Thanks
All you know for sure is that the higher the number, the stiffer the boot (that appears to be true for all manufacturers from all that I've read). The only rough reference values are suggested level of difficulty for each model of boot with a specified stiffness rating (e.g., jump levels: singles, doubles, triples, quads), but that doesn't tell you what you really what you want to know: i.e., how your feet will feel in them. Manufacturers don't actually specify how stiffness is defined, how it is measured, and how the scale runs. E.g., you know that 60 is stiffer than 40, but you don't know how much stiffer. And you don't know whether the increase in stiffness from 40 to 60 is the same as the increase in stiffness from 60 to 80.

Mindoro1972

Rinkside
That pretty much sums it up.
You also don't know if a 90 from one brand is the same as a 70 of another brand or if they are equivalent....
Its a very bizarre market for something with such 'so called' 'technical specifications'

khi

Rinkside
It's the same with ski boot stiffness. The numbers aren't comparable between brands and the only thing you know for sure is that e.g. 90 is stiffer than 80 which is stiffer than 70... :scratch2: