Maxim Kovtun announces retirement | Golden Skate

Maxim Kovtun announces retirement

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
As per his instagram post, Maxim Kovtun is moving away from figure skating.

Sad news for me, I thought his comeback this season was very inspiring. Wish him all the best for the future! :thank:

Source

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Aww, such a heartbreaking letter, the same boy who did not make Olympics... :( all the best in the future!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Wow, that is some sad news. I always wished he skated clean. He was great sometimes, but maybe he didn't have full confidence to go full way ahead most of the time. It happens to many great skaters. I wish Maxim a lot of good luck!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I Can’t Dance will always be classic !!

This makes me sad to read and yet he seems hopeful and ready to close this chapter. :note:

Country
Norway
Oh that´s sad. I really have enjoyed him skating. He seemed so good early this season. Wishing him all the best for the future:luv17:

bloomies20

Rinkside
Always felt he had an underrated career that most other countries would happily take, he just had the misfortune of coming up after Yagudin/Plushenko in Russia. He said that he wants to be a coach going forward so good luck to him.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I know I'll miss him. I always liked him, he's quite a character and has a sunny personality.

However, I think he's doing the right thing. He's too inconsistent to really make a lasting difference, given the years he's already skating at top level. He can do everything to end up on every podium, but sometimes it's just a fall fest.
He's got a million interests and ideas, and he's newly in loooooove! He'll have a happy life, I've no doubt about it.

Max! :thank:

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am sad to hear that, I was never a real fan but kinda started liking his skating this past season...

Good luck Max!

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Maxim’s interviews this season reflect an impressive amount of growth in maturity and self-awareness. I’ve had a soft spot for him since the 2014 Oly. That lost opportunity, despite his winning nationals, must have been devastating to him as an eighteen-year old, and might have contributed to his troubles going forward. It’s great that he appears to be happy and motivated to take the next step in his life, and I wish him all the best for his future.