2019-20 Russian Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ice Dance

gmyers

Record Breaker
The extreme catastrophe ended with 2nd and 4th place at 2019 worlds. Now 3 spots for 2020.

Sinitsina and Katsalapov won silver narrowly and Stepanova and Bukin were 4th.

So lots can discuss why the catastrophe ended but it is in the past.

So who can join these two at worlds next year. Probably these two.

Last edited by a moderator:

moriel

Record Breaker
From Popova and Mozgov interview, on tatoos

Q: Where would you do it?
Popova: I wanted it on my foot, but there are the skates, you cant. Overall, it is very problematic with tattoos, we cannot show them. Imagine I skate in a pink dress, and everybody will discuss pictures on my body, calling it immoral.
Mozgov: You can place a portrait of Tatiana Tarasova on your tight.

https://news.ru/drugie/popova-i-mozgov-pust-i-volontyorami-no-poedem-na-igry/

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
in 2019 are we really talking about tatoos and immorality? i mean, for real:biggrin:? (tarasova tatoos is a great idea :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:)

moriel

Record Breaker
in 2019 are we really talking about tatoos and immorality? i mean, for real:biggrin:? (tarasova tatoos is a great idea :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:)

In russia, until quite recently (and even now) tattoos are strongly associated with criminality and prisons.
There is even a whole code and all:
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...decoding-russian-criminal-tattoos-in-pictures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aKvzaEa3NE

While younger people are usually fine, older people (specially 60+ but depends on the education and instruction) may hostilize you big time because having tattoos for them means that you were in prison. If you go to countryside (more old people, and more uneducated people), hide them all because you may get nasty remarks and other poo. Its specially bad if your tattoo resembles any of the common symbols - which can be literally anything.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i knew about the code but i thought it was very specific. i mean, with something like flowers, or lyrics or olympic circles you could hardly be changed for a mobster (anyway old people look at tattos with suspect basically everywhere, here in italy they could think you're a junkie) thank you for the infos!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i knew about the code but i thought it was very specific. i mean, with something like flowers, or lyrics or olympic circles you could hardly be changed for a mobster (anyway old people look at tattos with suspect basically everywhere, here in italy they could think you're a junkie) thank you for the infos!

Not so much in Canada in my experience (and everywhere I've been in the US - D.C., NYC, etc.), at least not in cities in Ontario. My 92 year old grandmother was thrown off by my tattoo, but most adults I've encountered (including family members who are 60-70+) either think nothing of it or find it cool. It's so common among young people here nowadays to have at least one tattoo, people are pretty used to it. When I was horseback riding, 1/3 to 1/2 of the main group of teenagers/early twenties had tattoos (I was the only one with just 1), and most of those people were very small-town / country. Mine is easy to cover up for professional situations, but in my field (biology research / university) people don't really seem to care at all anyways.

Before I got the tattoo, I read up on how tattoos are viewed in biology research and medical fields in North America, and almost everyone said their experience was that people don't care. Actually, at least half the comments were about the really cool science-themed tattoos their profs or colleagues had. I only remember one comment saying they'd got any weird looks about a tattoo, and that was someone at a university in the southern US in a fairly religious area. And even that person said people got over it pretty quickly there.

Anyways, plenty of skaters have tattoos (at least North American ones), although Sergei's are bigger/more prominent that most.

Kittosuni

Medalist

Up to this date most Asian culture associate tattoos with organized crime like Yakuza etc.

ALso FYI, with US Immigration there are instances that you have to explain your tattoo. Its origination/meaning etc because it can be grounds for denial of your application.

It is always advised by immigration lawyers to avoid getting tattoos when your US VISA in in process due to its negative association. My family and I were personally warned of this.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Not so much in Canada in my experience (and everywhere I've been in the US - D.C., NYC, etc.), at least not in cities in Ontario. My 92 year old grandmother was thrown off by my tattoo, but most adults I've encountered (including family members who are 60-70+) either think nothing of it or find it cool. It's so common among young people here nowadays to have at least one tattoo, people are pretty used to it. When I was horseback riding, 1/3 to 1/2 of the main group of teenagers/early twenties had tattoos (I was the only one with just 1), and most of those people were very small-town / country. Mine is easy to cover up for professional situations, but in my field (biology research / university) people don't really seem to care at all anyways.

Before I got the tattoo, I read up on how tattoos are viewed in biology research and medical fields in North America, and almost everyone said their experience was that people don't care. Actually, at least half the comments were about the really cool science-themed tattoos their profs or colleagues had. I only remember one comment saying they'd got any weird looks about a tattoo, and that was someone at a university in the southern US in a fairly religious area. And even that person said people got over it pretty quickly there.

Anyways, plenty of skaters have tattoos (at least North American ones), although Sergei's are bigger/more prominent that most.

indeed i said old people :biggrin:, tattos are very common here too among young and not so young people(my mom, who was in her late 50 at the time, pushed me to get one after my degree :biggrin:), that's why popova's words soundend very strange to me

Up to this date most Asian culture associate tattoos with organized crime like Yakuza etc.

ALso FYI, with US Immigration there are instances that you have to explain your tattoo. Its origination/meaning etc because it can be grounds for denial of your application.

It is always advised by immigration lawyers to avoid getting tattoos when your US VISA in in process due to its negative association. My family and I were personally warned of this.

(you never stop learn! i knew nothing about this) could it be related to gang stuff?

Roast Toast

Medalist
Last season was really exciting for Russian ice dance and this next season promises great things as well imo. The fight for the third spot will be tough -- I liked Z/G's FD last season, but I don't know if they have what it takes to fight off the upcoming juniors. Those young teams will likely be going through the rough initial transition stage into seniors and seniors level calling, so what Z/G will have to do is really clean up their performances and present a polished look.

For the top 2 teams... I really have no idea. A lot will depend on who actually has good programs this year, as I don't think either team has cemented itself into the "judges will pretend whatever they put out on the ice is good" tier just yet. Their standing compared to H/D is unclear. S/K's mistake at Euros showed they are fragile, but when clean they are being scored above S/B internationally. I think their GP assignments will reveal a lot about they both stand nationally. Crucially, will S/B be sent to fight P/C or H/D?

Scott512

Record Breaker
The extreme catastrophe ended with 2nd and 4th place at 2019 worlds. Now 3 spots for 2020.

Sinitsina and Katsalapov won silver narrowly and Stepanova and Bukin were 4th.

So lots can discuss why the catastrophe ended but it is in the past.

So who can join these two at worlds next year. Probably these two.

What is this extreme catastrophe stuff? I hope the Russians are coming back in ice dance. Many people were bewildered at their ice dance downfall and I guess that's what you mean by extreme catastrophe.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Last season was really exciting for Russian ice dance and this next season promises great things as well imo. The fight for the third spot will be tough -- I liked Z/G's FD last season, but I don't know if they have what it takes to fight off the upcoming juniors. Those young teams will likely be going through the rough initial transition stage into seniors and seniors level calling, so what Z/G will have to do is really clean up their performances and present a polished look.

For the top 2 teams... I really have no idea. A lot will depend on who actually has good programs this year, as I don't think either team has cemented itself into the "judges will pretend whatever they put out on the ice is good" tier just yet. Their standing compared to H/D is unclear. S/K's mistake at Euros showed they are fragile, but when clean they are being scored above S/B internationally. I think their GP assignments will reveal a lot about they both stand nationally. Crucially, will S/B be sent to fight P/C or H/D?

I agree that it's really hard to say, but after WTT, I feel relatively confident in saying that the judges are prepared to prop S/K up if they continue to show polished programs. I had a sense after Skate Canada that they were set for a rise, but I wasn't expecting them to end up as close to P/C as they ultimately did by Worlds. And not for nothing, I do think they improved a lot over the course of the year. We'll have to see if H/D are more disciplined next season because otherwise I could see the gap between the two teams expanding.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I agree that it's really hard to say, but after WTT, I feel relatively confident in saying that the judges are prepared to prop S/K up if they continue to show polished programs. I had a sense after Skate Canada that they were set for a rise, but I wasn't expecting them to end up as close to P/C as they ultimately did by Worlds. And not for nothing, I do think they improved a lot over the course of the year. We'll have to see if H/D are more disciplined next season because otherwise I could see the gap between the two teams expanding.

WTT scores can be tricky -- sometimes a team like J/C will follow up on a WTT breakthrough, but more often than not those scores are just kinda there. I agree though that the hierarchy will probably be fixed at the end of the season, and the number 2 team will then push to challenge Gabi and Guillaume. I feel like H/D were kinda screwed at worlds because the 4CC mistake was more recent than S/K's Euro mistake, and the fact that they are defending the GPF title might help them on the circuit, so who knows. ASiB is uninspired but it suits them.

This is why I'm not sure if the Russian fed should concede the S/B vs P/C match-up or if they should push an early S/B vs H/D head to head: maybe they can establish those two as fighting for bronze and let S/K pull out ahead that way? I just don't know how long the "eggs in both baskets" strategy is going to work.

gmyers

Record Breaker
What is this extreme catastrophe stuff? I hope the Russians are coming back in ice dance. Many people were bewildered at their ice dance downfall and I guess that's what you mean by extreme catastrophe.
Yes you are right in the last sentence. The 2014-2018 no success period

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
List for the GP 2019-20:
https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...4-entries-ice-dance-2019-20-all-6-events/file

More about which dancers are at what competition can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_ISU_Grand_Prix_of_Figure_Skating

Sofia Shevchenko / Igor Eremenko are new to senior dance, Anastasia Skoptcova / Kirill Aleshin have their second senior season, while the last one was affected by Anastasia's injury during summer, which prevented them for training. Other russian dancers have some more experience, with top two not meeting each other during GP competitions. It is interesting that while Stepanova / Bukin have the very first and very last GP event (America and NHK), Sinitsina / Katsalapov have back to back Cup of China and Rostelecom.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
both Stepanova/bukin and Sinitsina/katsalapov have good chances to make it to the finals :)pray:), i don't know about the others though. Shevchenko/Ermenenko are the new kids on the playground and we all know how reputational ice dance can be, Skoptcova/Aleshin could aim at the bronze in both their assignments if other more established teams make mistakes

siela

On the Ice
Of course, these little ones have a very long way to go ahead of them, but right now they are simply adorable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57nimbmDK0E :love:
Officially my favorite Russian ice dance team :biggrin:
Hope they will not break my heart by splitting, they could become really special with time.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Up to now JGP performances of russian ice dancers:

JGP Courchevel:

Elizaveta Shanaeva / Devid Naryzhnyy:
RD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3G5nR9oG6I
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92SmPUO77o4

Ekaterina Katashinskaia / Aleksandr Vaskovich:
RD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUQRBUiPDM0
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uz-UVBLWtY

JGP Lake Placid:
Diana Davis / Gleb Smolkin:
RD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yao3KIshdGs
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmmbTMnJr54

I don't follow non-Russian dance very closely, who are their direct competitors for JGPF? Might we get a full Russian final and clean sweep of the podium? Plus lots of cash to split?

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Of course, these little ones have a very long way to go ahead of them, but right now they are simply adorable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57nimbmDK0E :love:
Officially my favorite Russian ice dance team :biggrin:
Hope they will not break my heart by splitting, they could become really special with time.

Is this the same team that skated to Duck Tales on a recent season of Ice Age kids? They are so precious :luv17: