2019-20 Russian Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ice Dance

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I don't follow non-Russian dance very closely, who are their direct competitors for JGPF? Might we get a full Russian final and clean sweep of the podium? Plus lots of cash to split?
I would say Nguyen / Kolesnik, I can't see them not making the final to be honest.
Demougeot / Le Mercier have a good chance with a silver already in hand.

But I have to say I'm becoming a fan of Elizaveta Shanaeva / Devid Naryzhnyy. I hope we get to see their free dance many more times!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
This appeared today in Russian press after the FFKKR press conference:

Tchaikovsky: Russia should return with Gold in ice dancing from the 2022 Olympics

Coming the weekend, the best Russian skaters will present their competitive programs for the new season

The Russian Figure Skating Federation aims to ensure that Russian ice dancing is again among the contenders for the Gold medal at the 2022 Olympics. This was announced at a press conference on Wednesday by the chairperson of the Federation's Coaching Council Yelena Tchaikovskaya.

On September 7 and 8, the best Russian skaters will present their competitive programs for the new season. Test Skates will be held in Moscow at the Luzhniki Small Sports Arena.

“We are waiting for insights in our dancing couples. We are committed to returning the Gold medal in our original Russian discipline to the Olympic Games. We will now follow the dancers like no other” said Tchaikovsky.

The coming Winter Games will be held in 2022 in Beijing. The last time a Russian couple won Olympic gold in ice dancing was in 2006, then Tat'yana Navka and Roman Kostomarov won the first place.
Now the leaders of Russian ice dancing are couples Viktoriya Sinitsyna and Nikita Katsalapov, as well as Alexandra Stepanova and Ivan Bukin.

-----
Source: https://tass.ru/sport/6841921

There was also an insightful article by Inna Goncharenko on the state of ice dancing I'll have to find back.

elysium

On the Ice
I would say Nguyen / Kolesnik, I can't see them not making the final to be honest.
Demougeot / Le Mercier have a good chance with a silver already in hand.

But I have to say I'm becoming a fan of Elizaveta Shanaeva / Devid Naryzhnyy. I hope we get to see their free dance many more times!

Agree that Nguyen / Kolesnik should make the final, and also likely to medal there.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don't follow non-Russian dance very closely, who are their direct competitors for JGPF? Might we get a full Russian final and clean sweep of the podium? Plus lots of cash to split?

I don't have big insight into ice dancing but probably we won't. As Dreamer57 has written, Nguyen / Kolesnik are strong ice dancers this season, the french Demougeot / Le Mercier also have a chance with their silver. Some strong russian teams moved to seniors and from the strongest juniors Ushakova / Nekrasov were held back due to Nekrasov's injury and Khudaiberdieva / Nazarov split up. Now Ushakova / Nekrasov have entries in the events 6 and 7, let's hope they will deal with it. Khudaiberdieva teamed up with Filatov, some people say that it is a downgrade for her but I pretty liked them at test skates. We will see them just this week in Riga, we will know more soon. Other russian dancers are mostly new and young, so we will see how strong they are during the next weeks.

On the positive note Shanayeva / Nerizhny improved a lot since the last season and have one gold in their pockets already. The same can be said about Diana Davis / Gleb Smolkin, also huge improvement and with silver from Lake Placid they have a great chance for the final. They will meet french dancers mentioned above in Poland, and according to scores they are quite even (being complete amateur in ice dancing I would put Diana and Gleb higher) so it will be interresting to see who will be better of them there.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Also Kazakova & Reviya made it to the JGPF last season and are the top returning team from Junior Worlds after Ushakova & Nekrasov and Nguyen & Kolesnik. Their result in Latvia will be important.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I am very impressed with what Sinitsina/Katsalapov are putting out this season. Those are two sophisticated programs and they are performing so much more than I've ever seen them. They could go far with this.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Just watched Luznova/Vakhnov's FD at JGP Croatia. They really need a program that isn't so cluttered, that gives them room to breathe and show off what could be really classic lines. Definitely a case where I liked the skaters but really did not like the program.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Lizunova/Vakhnov have what it takes to go far if they stay together imvho. Fingers crossed. Watching Vakhnov's partner switches over the last year or so was a bit dramatic. I enjoy his skating, loved him as a junior with Sophia; he was not with Ksenia long enough to tell how it would go but I really love his skating with Svetlana... she has lovely lines and presence. They need more practice together, for sure, but they really show promise I think.
BTW I absolutely ADORE that FD red dress on her, enjoyed the music too in a way. Look forward to seeing them again.