Skating while trying for baby | Golden Skate

Skating while trying for baby

LiveLaughSpin88

Spectator
Hi all! I've been a "lurker" for a while but decided to sign up as I have a few questions for the ladies.
I couldn't find any threads on this but apologies if it's been covered before.
So, did any of you skate while pregnant? What about while trying for a baby?...as obviously you might become pregnant but not know it for sure straight away...in that scenario would it be bad to be doing jumps (single) and spins such as camel, haircutter, sit spins (the latter sometimes ending in a fall, if legs are tired)
I'm wondering at what stage I'd have to take a break from skating.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi all! I've been a "lurker" for a while but decided to sign up as I have a few questions for the ladies.
So, did any of you skate while pregnant? What about while trying for a baby?...as obviously you might become pregnant but not know it for sure straight away...in that scenario would it be bad to be doing jumps (single) and spins such as camel, haircutter, sit spins (the latter sometimes ending in a fall, if legs are tired)
<<Emphasis added>> You mean trying to conceive while you and your partner are both on the ice? :)

jf12

Final Flight

A lot of people continue skating during this period - with the caveat that you must be pretty skilled to start with. Beginners get hurt often enough that I do not think that it's the right time to skate during this time. Of course, the most important thing, ask your doctor. I skated and I did not change anything I did until I got the positive test back. My personal view is, there is no point in adding stress and reducing your exercise until you know for certain, and it takes a lot of people 6 months +. However, if it makes you feel better and less stressed to stop, then stop. You can get early tests that tell you within 2 weeks. The exception is if you are having IVF or something, in that case your doctor will probably tell you to be extremely careful about exercising at ALL during this period.

After you do find out, yes it's time to curtail your activity. It's up to you and your doctor for how long you are comfortable with being on the ice at all, and your skill level before you started. You should not focus on learning anything new during this time. I stopped doing freestyle right away and did mostly edges and stroking. Remember the risk is not just that you will fall on your own, the risk is also that someone will run into you, so make sure to only go on sessions where people are in control and not busy. Also for example if you fall and hurt your wrist, there's no risk to the baby directly but painkillers and x-rays are not advisable at this time either. For all of this stuff you have to weigh the risk/return - it is beneficial to maintain a regular exercise, but it's a relatively short time in your life, so no need to take too many risks.

Nimyue

On the Ice

I skated during my last pregnancy until about 7 months. When the relaxin set in I started feeling too wobbly. But up until then I did everything as normal.

fytong

Rinkside
I stopped skating 3 months into my pregnancy as my OB told me to stop IMMEDIATELY. I would say listen to the advice of your OB. But I don't think you need to stop while trying for a baby.

JSM

On the Ice
Let your body dictate what you do on the ice! I stopped skating early because I had severe morning sickness for the first half of gestation and skating made me puke (glad that’s over!), but I know women who skated long into pregnancy with no issues. Listen to what your doctor tells you and if you’re feeling unsteady, stop.

Dancesonice

Spectator
Since I had a very hard time getting pregnant, every time I was past ovulation (lol, only knew coz I was doing the whole kitty and caboodle, like meds and then IUIs), I stayed off the ice for the 2 weeks until my period came. Then I skated until next cycle. Obviously, once things got really serious (IVF) I stopped completely. Running, skating, and all. Since you do not know if you are pregnant or not, and if you are past fun time trying, it's always better to proceed with caution.

thesu

Spectator
I think it's okay to skate while you're trying. If you're pregnant, my coach has advised not to do jumps, spins, or spirals (any move where you have a chance of falling on your stomach). I know of a high level skater who's still at it. She's almost due and fell on her stomach during a flying camel. Risky, if you ask me.

I'm also curious how women have dealt with the loss of skating. I don't imagine most moms come back right away. Besides needing time to heal, there's the demands of childcare. So you're off the ice for a couple years at least? That seems so long.