Stars on Ice 2019 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice 2019

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I didn’t see a thread for this when I did advanced search with the above. I encourage everyone to see the USA SOI. For two hours I was uplifted. Nathan skated. Yea. I was happy to see him this once and tho Jason Brown wasn’t in this show in my city they did well. Three top ice dance teams. I have to say I think the Shibs were the best and keeping a very high standard. I wondered if they will compete again. I feel they and Chock and Bates are our best senior teams. If you get a chance it is a good show. I last saw them 10 years ago. They did not advertise well here at all.

But we all cheered everyone loudly despite a not big crowd. All did well. Bradie did fall a couple times on a triple jump - a loop or salchow im not sure - surprised me. She did better with her second act Romeo and Juliet. I don’t think Nathan did a quad but he is so fast I could be wrong. No triple axel not surprisingly but I was hoping to see. He looked tired. So happy to see the two singles and H/D so soon after WTT. Noticed costumes were kept simple in the group numbers. Enjoyed the music though I don’t know several songs. I regretted all the shows I missed in the nineties and pushed myself to get there. First row so I could see the faces well. Miraii is so beautiful. She should smile more.
All in all pretty good given the fact they don’t have tons of money to put in shows like in Japan or Korea. I sure do miss some of the older cast. Jeremy Abbott I would say is the oldest. He is still elegant. He does a backflip. I wish Nathan were told to do a quad as thenwatered down Caravan was well skated but hey I won’t see a competition or likely see him again so I wish the show expected more jumps from this group. Notably misssing was a pairs team. Not one. I was surprised at that for sure.

sallyhatchet

Rinkside
Sounds amazing! I'm so annoyed because the one in FL is always first it seems and it's always not an easy time for me to take off work :(

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went to the show last weekend.
My takeaway: Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner really played to the audience. Nathan did do a quad and he skates so fast. Bradie did all her jumps and her personality really comes out in the group numbers. I was really impressed with Charlie White, he really is a great ice dancer. I'm so glad I went. I do think that there should have been a pairs selection.

alexaa

Final Flight
Nathan did 4T in Next to Me, his self choreographed EX in both Providence and Worcester

4T at Providence show
https://twitter.com/nathanchen_us/status/1122641298907734016?s=20

4T at Worcester show

https://twitter.com/nathanchen_us/status/1122684237688102913?s=20

It is understandable he would look tired. Finals starts Thursday this week. He had to rush learning the 90s Medley group number right before the Albany show since Vincent was injured, plus he still suffered from cough and respiratory issues which bothered him since WTT

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went to the show last weekend.
My takeaway: Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner really played to the audience. Nathan did do a quad and he skates so fast. Bradie did all her jumps and her personality really comes out in the group numbers. I was really impressed with Charlie White, he really is a great ice dancer. I'm so glad I went. I do think that there should have been a pairs selection.

Thanks to you and @Skatluvr for the input! Had SOI been “in my backyard” again this year, I definitely would have gone, but sadly, I’m only driving two hours for a certain skater (at least among Americans) and he wasn’t on the East Coast shows:biggrin:

I had the same reaction you did last year to two skaters, I don’t know why folks rag on Bradie, she has plenty of personality, and Meryl and Charlie :luv17: who knew? I know, lots of other people did, but not me.

And any of the US pairs would be a great addition to the show, so stupid that it is not:dev2:

Hoping against hope it is in my backyard again some day.....

oly2018

Final Flight
I went to the LI show! I brought my sister who hasn't seen any of them live before and it was interesting to hear her thoughts because she doesn't really follow skating.

Mirai really stood out. It was probably the most emotional I have ever seen her skate and even though her music choices were pretty mellow, it still left an impact. Ashley was good, but I preferred her performances last year. This was the first time I noticed that she relies on arm movements. I was really excited about a Dog Days are Over program, but it was kind of meh. I have a soft spot for Bradie, but I actually preferred the R+J to the Rhianna program. She used some of my fav Rhianna songs, but the program was too "posey".

Nathan was Nathan, lol. He probably had the most enthusiastic audience response of everyone. He is super fast despite being exhausted. The next to me program is pretty great in person. I was interested to see Vincent. I didn't like the rap/hip hop program at all, but the Dancing in the Dark program is a really good fit for him. I really enjoyed it.

The ice dancers were interesting. Meryl and Charlie have still got it, but I prefer their show programs from last year. Despite that, there is something very "Olympic gold medalist about them." They also give everything in the groups numbers which was awesome to see. The Shibs are still fan favorites. I really didn't like Daft program on video, but it is SO great in person. Really different from what has been popular in ice dance. I will say, they didn't seem like they were gearing up for a comeback. H/D kind of fell flat. I love Ben Howard and was excited for the Oats in the Water program, but it was kind of boring. Their Queen music cuts were better than D/W, but the choreo wasn't.

hesaidshesaidxp

Rinkside
We went to the Hershey show last week and it was really great. We both had different favorites for programs but as always the group numbers- especially the 90s number and that finale were fantastic! We just posted our review and a bunch of pictures on our blog (http://thehesaidshesaidexperience.com/2019/05/stars-on-ice-2019-tour-review/). I really love that you get to see some competitive programs too. You can really see why Nathan is world champion from that short program. It's really dynamite!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks for clips. It’s hard to see at other end of the ice and under show lights. It was clear in the clip. Yes, he must be very tired with the crazy schedule. I was surprised to see him. I hope Vincent isn’t too badly injured. It would be great to see him. Bradie did fall twice in her first number on relatively easy edge jump was it a loop or salchow or both? Lucky Bonita to see them in Worcestervand Providence. I like Bradie a lot and I don’t think she is a stiff as some people say. She uses her arms fluidly and while she isn’t a ballerina she is very polished. I compare her to say Kaori whom I love because she is so,fast and her jumps are like swish, but she has no tension in her arms and upper body. I was sitting next to a Japanese woman and we both love Kaori Sakamoto but She suggested Kaori ramp up the ballet lessons. I feel Bradie has a mature and precise presentation. I think she can still grow as an artist but I think as a total skater she is among the best in the world currently. Surprisingly. Everyone was as I perceive them on TV or internet. I hope the Shibs decide to make another run at a medal and come back in time for Beijing. Anyone know the Shibs plans at present?

1111bm

Final Flight
Why did you feel that Nathan looked tired? :scratch2:
I've only seen fancam clips from this year's SOI shows, but on video his performances looked pretty normal to me (except for dialing back on the quads, understandably so, given how little ice time he's had since Worlds). And he was totally into the 90s group number and selling the heck out of it. Just based on that fancam footage, out of all the skaters Jeremy was actually the one who looked like he was just going through the motions and who I would've described as looking tired, but certainly not Nathan.

calbskate83

Spectator
Hello Everyone!
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there. Just wanted to say that I went to Stars on ice last night in Anaheim. I initially was not going because I had a Mother’s Day dinner planned but that got moved last minute and I was somehow able to get 2 front row seats for my friend and me 3 hours before the show.

I was so glad I was able to go. I had not had a chance to see any live ice show since All that skate in 2010 in LA. This 2019 US stars on ice tour was so much fun! I actually had hoped that I would be able to shake hands and tell the skaters how much I loved their skating at the end of the show when the skaters would normally skate around shaking hands with the audience. But I did not get a chance to because they put another row of chairs on the ice for people with disabilities (or maybe it’s for people with special tickets??) But it’s okay. I still enjoyed the show very much.

Every program was tremendously enjoyable. My highlights were Jeremy Abbott, Nathan Chen, Ashley Wagner, and Davis/White.

Jeremy Abbott really skated like liquid gold (shoutout to Mr. Dick Button who introduced me to these words). He gained so much speed from just a few strokes that I thought he would not have enough ice space to skate his programs! And he was so musical and expressive in both of his individual programs. His usage of edges were amazing...such deep edges...the leans of the body. He just skated with every part of his body. I feel like he should have gotten more PCS when he was competing, but oh well I wont go into that. Lol. He did a double axel from almost a standstill and landed with the arms crossed in front of his chest—a simple landing move but very effective with the music. In group numbers, he was directly in front of me and did a couple of backflips right in front of me as well. After his first individual number, he skated with Meryl for a little bit before Charlie came out and took her away. It was so beautiful. Maybe he should become an ice dancer. 😆

I was not certain if Nathan Chen was going to skate because I had just seen some posts on Instagram showing that he was somewhere in the east coast. (They were posted by fans so maybe they were latergrams.) So when the announcer announced his name, I was cheering pretty loudly. The whole crowd cheered really loudly for him as well. He was also very fast on the ice but maybe did not move as smoothly as Jeremy. Nathan was very entertaining as well. He did a quad toe right in front of me—such fast rotations making it look sooo easy. I loved his double Arabian flying sit spin that he did in the first program. (Forgive me if that’s not the correct name of that move. I am not a skater. Haha). It just looked exciting and impressive to see in person. In his signature program Caravan, it was just as entertaining as I’ve seen on TV throughout the year. He did fall going into a spin but he played it off as he was doing a push-up—pretty smart move!

I loved the group program to the medley of songs from the 90’s. I’m also a child of the 90’s. Some people might find it corny, but I loved it. Took me back to those good old years. Ashley Wagner is such an entertainer and she was soooo gorgeous in person! Bradie was not into this group program that much though. Haha. But everyone else was so into it.

Charlie White and Meryl Davis—Don’t know what to say about this team except for the fact that they were just perfect. Meryl was even more poised and regal than when she was competing, especially in the second number. Charlie White is jaw-droppingly (for lack of a better word) good looking!!! If his partner were not Meryl, it would have been very difficult for anyone to notice whoever he’s skating with. They made complicated lifts look so easy and effortless.

In the final group number, skaters took turns skating with different partners—Charlie and Alex lifting Jeremy on each side and they flipped him over. That was cool too and it happened in front of me so it was doubly cool. Meryl was also lifted by the ladies. It was fun to see. There were so many things happening at the same time it was kind of difficult to describe what everyone was doing.

All in all, I was so happy that I got to see the show. It went by incredibly fast. The arena was probably 3/4 full. I was probably the loudest in my section. There are only 4 shows left if I’m not mistaken. I am wishing for a full house for every show. We need some newer generations to get into the sport and come support these skaters. Hopefully that will happen someday. One can hope, right? 😅

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello Everyone!
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there. Just wanted to say that I went to Stars on ice last night in Anaheim. I initially was not going because I had a Mother’s Day dinner planned but that got moved last minute and I was somehow able to get 2 front row seats for my friend and me 3 hours before the show.

I was so glad I was able to go. I had not had a chance to see any live ice show since All that skate in 2010 in LA. This 2019 US stars on ice tour was so much fun! I actually had hoped that I would be able to shake hands and tell the skaters how much I loved their skating at the end of the show when the skaters would normally skate around shaking hands with the audience. But I did not get a chance to because they put another row of chairs on the ice for people with disabilities (or maybe it’s for people with special tickets??) But it’s okay. I still enjoyed the show very much.

Every program was tremendously enjoyable. My highlights were Jeremy Abbott, Nathan Chen, Ashley Wagner, and Davis/White.

Jeremy Abbott really skated like liquid gold (shoutout to Mr. Dick Button who introduced me to these words). He gained so much speed from just a few strokes that I thought he would not have enough ice space to skate his programs! And he was so musical and expressive in both of his individual programs. His usage of edges were amazing...such deep edges...the leans of the body. He just skated with every part of his body. I feel like he should have gotten more PCS when he was competing, but oh well I wont go into that. Lol. He did a double axel from almost a standstill and landed with the arms crossed in front of his chest—a simple landing move but very effective with the music. In group numbers, he was directly in front of me and did a couple of backflips right in front of me as well. After his first individual number, he skated with Meryl for a little bit before Charlie came out and took her away. It was so beautiful. Maybe he should become an ice dancer. ��

Jeremy actually was an ice dancer for a short time during his childhood.

alexaa

Final Flight