Your favorite all time pairs teams? | Golden Skate

Your favorite all time pairs teams?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I will start with G and G. Who was like them and the epic love story and tragic death have left him in our memory as forever young. A big strong man who effortlessly lifted Katia to her full expression as a great pair skater and a young beauty in her prime. They are stuck in time forever.

Technically they were very good. It was not just their beauty or the great choreography by Zueva.. they had it all in spades. My second favorite team I think must be Elena and Anton for many reasons that should be obvious to anyone who watched. Another team that was spectacular over many years was the amazing Shen and Zhao who practically invented the sport in China. Remember beside Lu Chen these two really fought their way up from a country with no real federation when they began and wowed everyone with their prowess and then artistry. Amamzing to watch this transformation.

As far as North America goes I loved Tai and Randy and recall their heartbreak at the Olympics. They remain my favorite American pair. As for Canada well twomdifferent eras but there was the awesome Martini and Underhill and then Sale and Pelletier. How could one choose between these two beautifully talented couples?

Last I would have to say that Aliona Savchencko was amazing. A tiny dynamo. I preferred her first partner despite the fact she didn’t win her Oly Gold with him. Bruno was fine. A great frame to show off Aliona.

Pairs like Ballet will always have so many Russians that just are the best. That is my opinion.

If your had your choice of 4 teams the world over who gets you podium plus pewter medal for all time and why?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hello, I have lived in the world devoid of figure skating, so all my favs are from the last two years.

Zabijako & Enbert - because of how many levels of symbolism that Alexander Nevsky program packs judging from a quick look at their bios.

DellaMonica & Guarise and James & Cipres - the Italians are so much fun, and the French guys are the athletic extravaganza

I know, boring... give me a decade or so to build up the history. I really do love pair skating :)

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I haven't been able to get into pairs as much as the other disciplines, but my favorites are Gordeeva/Grinkov, Shen/Zhao, and Sui/Han. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gordeeva / Grinkov, Bechke / Petrov, Shen / Zhao, Pang / Tong, Sui / Han

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not a huge pairs fan. I think it's the discipline that declined with the advent of IJS.

So, my favorite pairs tend to be non-current. Protopopov, Rodnina/Zaitsev, Babilionia/Gardner, G/G.

Still, I must say I've warmed considerably to Sui/Han over the past few few years. Their programs somehow don't look the same as every other pair. Even with similar elements, there is a freshness and originality. They're different. I appreciate that.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
My favorite Heart breakers Tarasova and Morozov. I just feel that they have looked more and more miserable as the seasons have gone on. hoping zoueva can bring back the joy to their skating. They are so talented. Also I ship it. :luv17::luv17::luv17::luv17:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Gordeeva/Grinkov and Shen/Zhao for similar reasons to you, then Savchenko and either Szolkowy or Massot, and then Mishkutenok/Dmitriev. I wish I could add in a fifth, Brasseur/Eisler, whom I prefer over Underhill/Martini and Sale/Pelletier, actually.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tai and Randy, no question. Second: Alexa and Chris.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If your had your choice of 4 teams the world over who gets you podium plus pewter medal for all time and why?

Gold: T/M, I'm biased as heck cause I totally love them and can't hate on any of their programs - even Candyman

I'm confuddled that so many people are lukewarm on them, they always hold my attention! Their triple twist is amaaaazing and their throw jumps are lovely too! I also quite enjoy their step sequences!

Silver: This is a hard one...but for sheer history-making it's gotta be Shen and Zhao, when I read The Second Mark I was amazed by their backstory. They came so far to win that gold medal in 2010!

Bronze: This even harder! But for sheer excitement factor and chemistry, I pick Vanessa and Morgan. Their style is very different from most pairs teams and I like it a lot! I never get tired of them ending on a lift!

Pewter: Peng/Jin, they first caught my eye with that program where Peng wore what I can only call a Tardis style dress! And their Ophelia program last season was too charming for words! Can't wait to see what they'll bring next season!

Of course G/G and Elena/Anton get platinum medals because they're just amazing to watch even all these years later. ;)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love pair skating, I love a lot of pairs, both now and in the past (from app. 1980s onwards as before that I did not watch. Sorry Protopopovs who were fantastic). So this is difficult.

My Gold would be Aljona with both partners, although the twist lift with Bruno is out of this world, while La Terre Vue du Ciel is unforgettable. But there were quite a few good programmes with Robin too.
Silver would be Mishkutenok/Dmitriev/Kosakova - Dmitriev with both partners as well. Their LP at the Olympics in 1994 is a special highlight.
Bronze is Shen/Zhao, especially their 2003 Turandot programme. It's made me cry many times (in a good way, obviously).
Pewter would be Elena and Anton whom I loved to watch (and still do).

Does this mean I don't like Gordeeva&Grinkov, Brasseur/Eisler, Shiskova/Naumov, Sale/Pelletier, Ping/Tong, James/Cipres (I adore them), Sui/Han (I adore them too), Duhamel/Radford and loads of others whom I've watched during the course of time or whom I watched this season only? Of course not!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Gold: T/M, I'm biased as heck cause I totally love them and can't hate on any of their programs - even Candyman

I'm confuddled that so many people are lukewarm on them, they always hold my attention! Their triple twist is amaaaazing and their throw jumps are lovely too! I also quite enjoy their step sequences!

Silver: This is a hard one...but for sheer history-making it's gotta be Shen and Zhao, when I read The Second Mark I was amazed by their backstory. They came so far to win that gold medal in 2010!

Bronze: This even harder! But for sheer excitement factor and chemistry, I pick Vanessa and Morgan. Their style is very different from most pairs teams and I like it a lot! I never get tired of them ending on a lift!

Pewter: Peng/Jin, they first caught my eye with that program where Peng wore what I can only call a Tardis style dress! And their Ophelia program last season was too charming for words! Can't wait to see what they'll bring next season!

Of course G/G and Elena/Anton get platinum medals because they're just amazing to watch even all these years later. ;)

In terms of T/M, yes that twist is huuuuge, and I love it, but when I look at their programs overall, well, what I see is what I had seen in the eighties when I was a kid. I am watching figure skating now because it changed since then, not because it stayed the same. Other Russians adopted their century plus of tradition to the modernity and, consequently, are more fun for me to watch

ManiDani

Rinkside
1. G&G
2. B&S
3. S&Z
4. Aliona and Robin (I still watch their Out of Africa and Pina programs).
Honorable Mentions: Tai and Randy and Sui and Han.

LynsJ

On the Ice
Savchenko/massot - I’ve never been more invested in a pair and emotional during a skate. The free last season was ethereal.

James/cipres because I have loved watching them develop and improve every year. The modern style they bring is really helping to move the sport forward and keep it evolving.

Duhamel and radford - technically they always strived to try new things and push it as far as they could. Super strong athletes and I could I listen to duhamel talk all day!

Marchei and hotarek - I wish they had stayed another year, they were really on the upswing and I think they could have really built on that momentum this year. Their energy and fun spirits were infectious. Valentina is one of a kind and I really hope she continues if possible! [emoji178]

s_parks

Record Breaker
Mishkutenok and Dmitriev for sure. Also Shen/Zhao, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Sui/Han.

labgoat

Updating rewatches...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will start with G and G. Who was like them and the epic love story and tragic death have left him in our memory as forever young. A big strong man who effortlessly lifted Katia to her full expression as a great pair skater and a young beauty in her prime. They are stuck in time forever.

Technically they were very good. It was not just their beauty or the great choreography by Zueva.. they had it all in spades. My second favorite team I think must be Elena and Anton for many reasons that should be obvious to anyone who watched. Another team that was spectacular over many years was the amazing Shen and Zhao who practically invented the sport in China. Remember beside Lu Chen these two really fought their way up from a country with no real federation when they began and wowed everyone with their prowess and then artistry. Amamzing to watch this transformation.

As far as North America goes I loved Tai and Randy and recall their heartbreak at the Olympics. They remain my favorite American pair. As for Canada well twomdifferent eras but there was the awesome Martini and Underhill and then Sale and Pelletier. How could one choose between these two beautifully talented couples?

Last I would have to say that Aliona Savchencko was amazing. A tiny dynamo. I preferred her first partner despite the fact she didn’t win her Oly Gold with him. Bruno was fine. A great frame to show off Aliona.

Pairs like Ballet will always have so many Russians that just are the best. That is my opinion.

All these plus Sui & Han, Mishkutionok & Dmitriev, Pang & Tong and my other heartbreakers McLaughlin & Brubaker.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Gordeeva/Grinkov :love: Elena/Anton :love::love: Shen/Zhao :rock: Pang/Tong :luv17: And Savchenko of course. :cool:

Lulu39

Rinkside
Savchenko/Szolkowy and Savchenko/Massot! Basically, Savchenko!:luv17: Free dance last year with Massot was breathtaking.:love:
G&G. Elena/Anton. Honorable mention to Shen/Zhao.