How to confront a trainer about skating level | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How to confront a trainer about skating level

Carloucarla

Rinkside
Don’t know where you live, but it sure sounds like a bit of an unusual system!

Yeah it sucks! To compete you must have doubles at least before your 15! They also don't use ISI tests like where I used to live :(

They have their own particular system that is way different than the American system (I used to train with the American system before I moved)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have nothing against ice dancers, most of them are my friends are they are really nice. It is just the fact that they came at an figure skating club, they didn’t know how to jump, but the director put them directly in level 7 anyway. Normally Îhave the right level of a group 7, it’s just since my club puts everyone in high levels just to please their skaters, well it doesn’t turn out well.

It's called skating skills. It's not solely based on ability to jump.

Carloucarla

Rinkside
It's called skating skills. It's not solely based on ability to jump.

Well, don't want to sound rude but most skaters can't spin very well so we are stuck on the sit spin, they don't have proper crossovers so we work on that at least 15mins per lesson, (on each side of course). If we work on actual skating abilities as you say, we only get to work on three turns or Mohawks.

Also, to be in the level 7, jumps as the salchow ,loop ,toe loop, and flip are required.

I know jumps aren't the only part in figure skating, it's just that when there are 9 groups and you're in the 7, your supposed to be able to do normal twizzles, three turns, Mohawks, crossovers, a scratch spin with at least 6 revolutions( that's in the group 7 test), inside edges, outside edges, be able to combine at least two jumps.

Only two on 5 ice dancers have proper pure skating abilities....The rest can barely do a proper bracket.
Since their parents are so excessive on the fact that their child must be in this group, well since my skating club wants some gold well they will do whatever it takes to make the parents satisfied.

I am aware that most of the pure skating moves (else than jumps) come from ice dancing, it's just that our club had rules and know isn't respecting them anymore, I'm not the only skater who thinks that...

And in figure skating not only the jumps count, but so do the spins (and gliding etc...)

Elija

On the Ice
Not sure if I’ve missed something here, but if there are tests for each group why can’t you take the next test and move up?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, don't want to sound rude but most skaters can't spin very well so we are stuck on the sit spin, they don't have proper crossovers so we work on that at least 15mins per lesson, (on each side of course). If we work on actual skating abilities as you say, we only get to work on three turns or Mohawks.

Also, to be in the level 7, jumps as the salchow ,loop ,toe loop, and flip are required.

I know jumps aren't the only part in figure skating, it's just that when there are 9 groups and you're in the 7, your supposed to be able to do normal twizzles, three turns, Mohawks, crossovers, a scratch spin with at least 6 revolutions( that's in the group 7 test), inside edges, outside edges, be able to combine at least two jumps.

Only two on 5 ice dancers have proper pure skating abilities....The rest can barely do a proper bracket.
Since their parents are so excessive on the fact that their child must be in this group, well since my skating club wants some gold well they will do whatever it takes to make the parents satisfied.

I am aware that most of the pure skating moves (else than jumps) come from ice dancing, it's just that our club had rules and know isn't respecting them anymore, I'm not the only skater who thinks that...

And in figure skating not only the jumps count, but so do the spins (and gliding etc...)

Well, not to sound rude, but leave that club if it isn't satisfying you, also get a private coach and come down from the clouds a tad.

If you have to stay in group lessons, then you are going to have to deal with everyone having different abilities. There's a little too much superiority complex factoring in here if one realizes it or not. This is coming from a former elite ice dancer and singles skater, turned professional and have lived/trained/toured/worked all over the world.

Come down from the clouds and be realistic.

Carloucarla

Rinkside
Well, not to sound rude, but leave that club if it isn't satisfying you, also get a private coach and come down from the clouds a tad.

If you have to stay in group lessons, then you are going to have to deal with everyone having different abilities. There's a little too much superiority complex factoring in here if one realizes it or not. This is coming from a former elite ice dancer and singles skater, turned professional and have lived/trained/toured/worked all over the world.

Come down from the clouds and be realistic.

What do you mean by "come down from the clouds" Am I not realistic enough?

Carloucarla

Rinkside
No, that is the impression given from posts. A little too egotistical sounding.

I don't know, but for some reason, ever since you posted, you sound quite rude. (Maybe I'm wrong)
The subject of this topic is supposed to be about how to talk with a trainer seriously, about skating abilities and progression.
I asked my parents if I could get a coach, they say yes, a coach contacted them, but they don't contact back...So, switching groups so that I can get better at the sport is supposed to be something normal for a figure skater, I don't think you know how frustrating it is to not be able to have fun in a sport and having one of your favourite sports become boring...

Carloucarla

Rinkside
Not sure if I’ve missed something here, but if there are tests for each group why can’t you take the next test and move up?

We had that test season, I was in level 6 and hoped level 7 would be less boring, that season is over now I must wait till next year in order to go to the group 8

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't know, but for some reason, ever since you posted, you sound quite rude. (Maybe I'm wrong)
The subject of this topic is supposed to be about how to talk with a trainer seriously, about skating abilities and progression.
I asked my parents if I could get a coach, they say yes, a coach contacted them, but they don't contact back...So, switching groups so that I can get better at the sport is supposed to be something normal for a figure skater, I don't think you know how frustrating it is to not be able to have fun in a sport and having one of your favourite sports become boring...

I am speaking from tons of experience and gave you the advice you needed. I am not being rude. If you don't want an elite level skater helping you then I'll go and you can figure it out. Sorry that I speak from place of reality and no egotism. There are many here that will vouch for my experience with the sport and how much I've helped them with various issues.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I gotta say, I'm with Ic3Rabbit here.

I'm reading a lot of complaining and whining from the OP in this thread and not a lot of willingness to actually do something about it. I know the OP is fairly young, but some of the wording has been just ridiculous, like worries that "reputation" will be affected and so on.

Carloucarla

Rinkside
I am speaking from tons of experience and gave you the advice you needed. I am not being rude. If you don't want an elite level skater helping you then I'll go and you can figure it out. Sorry that I speak from place of reality and no egotism. There are many here that will vouch for my experience with the sport and how much I've helped them with various issues.

Ok, I am sorry,having a conversation on the internet is harder than in real life as we cannot hear the person’s intonation. I misunderstood your replies and thought of them as negative, therefore I am sorry. I don’t want to sound rude nor egotistical on the internet either, since when you read a post, you can read it with your own interpretation, in real life, I am not the person you think I am.

Carloucarla

Rinkside
I gotta say, I'm with Ic3Rabbit here.

I'm reading a lot of complaining and whining from the OP in this thread and not a lot of willingness to actually do something about it. I know the OP is fairly young, but some of the wording has been just ridiculous, like worries that "reputation" will be affected and so on.

It’s not the actual “reputation” itself, I really like my coach, he is really nice, however I don’t want to offend him by saying I’m bored in his lessons. Also, if I tell him something, he will tell all the other coaches.
You say there’s not a lot of wilingness, but I need my parents to come with me so that my coach takes me seriously, it is quite annoying to have to rely on parents so that someone can take you seriously. (Where I live people under 18 are rarely taken seriously, once my parents asked to my dog’s vet if she’ll take me seriously if I bring my dog there, she said no)
The club I’m at is also the place where most of my dearest friends are at, I don’t have much friends at school since I spend most of my time at the ice rink my my skate friends, so that’s why I’m hesitant.(although I’m quite sure of leaving this club)
I will go to ice skating camp with this club, and I hope the coaches won’t hate on me just because I ask to join the group above.
I am not whining, like previously, I might have been misunderstood, I should have been a bit more clear etc....

I made a mistake, I should’ve typed “relation with my coach” instead of “reputation”

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think you should also not think of the conversation you need to have as "confronting" your coach. That implies introducing an adversarial element into the relationship that is not necessary.

What you want to know is how to approach your coach to discuss changing your level, or the kind of instruction you receive in your current class level, so that you will be able to enter competitions in the not-too-distant future.

You've already gotten some suggestions.

It is hard for many of us to answer because we come from skating cultures where instruction works differently and skaters who want to compete generally take private lessons. So we don't understand exactly how the options work where you are skating.

Still, it does seem like the best thing you (and probably your parents) could do would be to have a conversation with whoever is in charge of the skating program where you skate and say "I would like to train to enter skating competitions. What can I do to make that happen?"

Don't focus on what you don't like about the current situation. Focus on what you want the new situation to be and how to make it possible. Think of the people you talk to as your allies in attaining your goals, not as obstacles.

If their program is not set up to allow a skater of your current age and skill level to aim for competition, then it may not be the right program for you.

Lulu39

Rinkside
Sounds like youre in the wrong club. If you have individual goals you should be working with an individual trainer. You can probably learn from the group classes but it sounds like you need better feedback and communication about your own concerns.

Carloucarla

Rinkside
I think you should also not think of the conversation you need to have as "confronting" your coach. That implies introducing an adversarial element into the relationship that is not necessary.

What you want to know is how to approach your coach to discuss changing your level, or the kind of instruction you receive in your current class level, so that you will be able to enter competitions in the not-too-distant future.

You've already gotten some suggestions.

It is hard for many of us to answer because we come from skating cultures where instruction works differently and skaters who want to compete generally take private lessons. So we don't understand exactly how the options work where you are skating.

Still, it does seem like the best thing you (and probably your parents) could do would be to have a conversation with whoever is in charge of the skating program where you skate and say "I would like to train to enter skating competitions. What can I do to make that happen?"

Don't focus on what you don't like about the current situation. Focus on what you want the new situation to be and how to make it possible. Think of the people you talk to as your allies in attaining your goals, not as obstacles.

If their program is not set up to allow a skater of your current age and skill level to aim for competition, then it may not be the right program for you.

Ok thanks, I will likely be quitting this club, since my lessons at my 2nd club finish on May 26th, I will try out a private coach (normally Lance), if things turn out well, he might be my coach for next year if he isn’t too busy.
To compete, I found out that if I land my axel, I will normally enter my 2nd club’s team. However, I will have to quit my club someday since these two are competing against each other ,so I guess I’ll won’t get lessons there next year

Carloucarla

Rinkside
Sounds like youre in the wrong club. If you have individual goals you should be working with an individual trainer. You can probably learn from the group classes but it sounds like you need better feedback and communication about your own concerns.

Yeah, you’re right, my parents and I talked about it and I will still go to my 2nd club and attend group lessons, as well as having a private coach to be able to reach goals