Skating on rough ice? | Golden Skate

Skating on rough ice?

pocky

Rinkside
I could probably skate leisurely for a long time on smooth ice, but whenever I go to public sessions the rough ice really gets to me and it's very difficult to skate on. I have to hop off the rink when it gets to the texture of concrete. I see other skaters skate fluidly and for long periods of time on super roughed up ice! (Some readers might recognise me from my previous/first thread, as I have mentioned that I've only been skating for 2 months).
- Any tips to be comfortable skating on rough ice?
- Will I get more comfortable over time skating on very uneven ice?
Thanks!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I could probably skate leisurely for a long time on smooth ice, but whenever I go to public sessions the rough ice really gets to me and it's very difficult to skate on. I have to hop off the rink when it gets to the texture of concrete. I see other skaters skate fluidly and for long periods of time on super roughed up ice! (Some readers might recognise me from my previous/first thread, as I have mentioned that I've only been skating for 2 months).
- Any tips to be comfortable skating on rough ice?
- Will I get more comfortable over time skating on very uneven ice?
Thanks!

I was just thinking about this the other week when I went to Macquarie Ice Rink during it's all day session. I do OK on rough ice, although I wouldn't say I'm exactly smooth on it (I don't know how other skaters do it either!) I did my hour and was about to leave when they did an ice resurfacing and I thought I'd stick around and skate for a bit on the smooth ice once the zamboni was finished.

OMG, smooth ice, sooo beautiful! It was like skating on a cloud! Everything felt so easy on it :laugh: I have since sworn to myself that I'll only go to the start of a session so I can take advantage of the just-zamboni-ed ice (especially since they don't do the discount hour of the last hour of the session at Macquarie much these days).

But yeah, I don't really have that much advice? But I'd be interested in hearing other people's tips!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think you’ll grow more comfortable with it over time. I’m a pretty low level recreational skater and skate at a couple of rinks where there’s a lot of hockey. Sometimes the ice has ruts even after an ice make. I find that if I’m skating regularly- several times a week - the ruts bother me less than they do if if I’ve been off ice for a week or longer. For me it’s about feeling really balanced over my blades. I sometimes have lessons on a session with World level skaters, and they seem to be able to take bad ice completely in stride.

I will say that at public sessions, the ice doesn’t necessarily have ruts but it gets really slow after awhile because so many people have skated on it and there’s a lot of snow. If that’s the problem, the solution is to go at the beginning of the session, right after the ice make. :)

The other thing is, if you’re skating in rental skates, the blades may be dull, which makes it much harder to glide easily. The same is true if you have your own skates and the blades need to be sharpened, or if you just don’t have very good blades on your skates. The people you see flying around may not only be more advanced, more confident skaters, but they may be wearing better quality skates and blades.

Hope that helps a little!

pocky

Rinkside
I was just thinking about this the other week when I went to Macquarie Ice Rink during it's all day session. I do OK on rough ice, although I wouldn't say I'm exactly smooth on it (I don't know how other skaters do it either!) I did my hour and was about to leave when they did an ice resurfacing and I thought I'd stick around and skate for a bit on the smooth ice once the zamboni was finished.

OMG, smooth ice, sooo beautiful! It was like skating on a cloud! Everything felt so easy on it :laugh: I have since sworn to myself that I'll only go to the start of a session so I can take advantage of the just-zamboni-ed ice (especially since they don't do the discount hour of the last hour of the session at Macquarie much these days).

But yeah, I don't really have that much advice? But I'd be interested in hearing other people's tips!

YES!! I tried searching my questions up on the web and majority of the responses preferred rough ice! I have a whole different level of appreciation for recently zamboni-ed ice hahhah

pocky

Rinkside
I think you’ll grow more comfortable with it over time. I’m a pretty low level recreational skater and skate at a couple of rinks where there’s a lot of hockey. Sometimes the ice has ruts even after an ice make. I find that if I’m skating regularly- several times a week - the ruts bother me less than they do if if I’ve been off ice for a week or longer. For me it’s about feeling really balanced over my blades. I sometimes have lessons on a session with World level skaters, and they seem to be able to take bad ice completely in stride.

I will say that at public sessions, the ice doesn’t necessarily have ruts but it gets really slow after awhile because so many people have skated on it and there’s a lot of snow. If that’s the problem, the solution is to go at the beginning of the session, right after the ice make. :)

The other thing is, if you’re skating in rental skates, the blades may be dull, which makes it much harder to glide easily. The same is true if you have your own skates and the blades need to be sharpened, or if you just don’t have very good blades on your skates. The people you see flying around may not only be more advanced, more confident skaters, but they may be wearing better quality skates and blades.

Hope that helps a little!

Man... hockey players. The ones I know skate awesomely but the condition of the ice... not so awesome. :(
SO many people + rough ice = can not skate longer than an hour.
I used to skate later into the session where you had to practically swim (or skate) against a riptide of people, and my blades would ind their way into deeper cuts/ruts that other people have made. I thankfully don't have rental skates, however, and I think there's several more hours in them before they need to get sharpened.
I suppose I'll just skate as soon as the session starts.
Thanks!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Man... hockey players. The ones I know skate awesomely but the condition of the ice... not so awesome. :(
SO many people + rough ice = can not skate longer than an hour.
I used to skate later into the session where you had to practically swim (or skate) against a riptide of people, and my blades would ind their way into deeper cuts/ruts that other people have made. I thankfully don't have rental skates, however, and I think there's several more hours in them before they need to get sharpened.
I suppose I'll just skate as soon as the session starts.
Thanks!

One of my rinks is a training facility for an NHL team so I feel your pain. Good luck! :)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
You'll probably get more comfortable over time. Two months is not a long time for the vast majority of skaters.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
The thing that makes other skaters look fluid on rough ice is skating "in" the ice rather than "on" it.

If you work hard on your crossovers, that will be the main thing that will get your edges to dig in and attach you better to the ice. You will eventually learn to not be afraid to throw your body weight around and use it to really drive you into and through the ice. It's all a process, and it's still not super easy for me on rough ice, lol. I'm a pro, and still really prefer smooth, fresh ice. I have to adjust my thinking to really focus on getting used to it when the ice is rough. But it's doable. My normal rink I coach at is pretty much 50/50 figure skating/hockey, and one of our ice sheets is atrociously dry and rough. So I had it worse than most and was forced to get used to it. You will too.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
As a beginner, I used to much prefer rough ice to smooth, just resurfaced ice! I guess I found it more difficult to control my speed, just too slippery! But that soon changed. These days I find rough ice terrifying, as I'm worried I'll catch a rut and my rebuilt leg won't cope. Sadly, the rink I skate at - which is the only one in the south west of the country - has a dismal track record of maintaining the ice pad. Occasionally it's wonderful but most of the time it's dreadful, which they always blame on the pad being "too thick" so they can't use water in the machine and literally just scrape the snow off, or the Zamboni is "broken". A new Zamboni to replace the crumbling old one isn't an option, as we're supposed to be getting a new rink and that will need a decent size machine rather than one that will fit the small, kidney-shaped "leisure" rink we currently have. The new rink was due to open last year. As far as I'm aware, it's not even been started. And they wonder why most of the time the rink is empty...