Ice Fly or Chorus? | Golden Skate

Ice Fly or Chorus?

emcnes

Rinkside
Hello all,

I have been skating for almost 4 years, on intermediate/novice MIF, working on bronze dances,
have landed axel (cleaning it up), starting 2sal & 2toe, and i am a synchro skater on the intermediate competition level. I currently have edea chorus boots paired with Jackson legacy 8’ blades. i weigh 104 lbs and am 5’3. I am 13 years old. I have 2 bunions on both feet on my inner ankles so I tend to break down boots quickly without there being any visible damage. My coach has recommended anything from chorus and above for my exact jumping level, but my moves coach would prefer me to at least be in the concerto- however, I don’t care for that boot (doesn’t fit my foot quite right). As for cost, money is no object. Lastly, I do not care for the fit of the piano, as it does not fit my foot right, much like the concertos. it is almost the start of the synchro season, and my good ol’ choruses will not last another season of hardcore synchro training. so, I have 2 options. option a) i stick with the choruses another year. option b) I upgrade to the coveted ice fly model. originally, my plan was to go with the choruses another year, and then upgrade to the ice fly. however, in recent months i have grown unsatisfied with the level of padding and amount of ankle support in the boots I am wearing (I skate barefoot). I tried on a pair of ice flies, size 260, and I absolutely LOVED the amount of padding and cushioning I had. honestly, one of the comfiest boots I have ever tried on. the only problem is, I have heard about the ice flies breaking down quickly. so, this is where you come in. I would love to know how ice flies hold up for all doubles (excluding 2a), mif tests, dances and synchro, how they last throughout a typical skating season, and how they break down. All info is appreciated. thanks in advance.

Carloucarla

Rinkside
Hello all,

I have been skating for almost 4 years, on intermediate/novice MIF, working on bronze dances,
have landed axel (cleaning it up), starting 2sal & 2toe, and i am a synchro skater on the intermediate competition level. I currently have edea chorus boots paired with Jackson legacy 8’ blades. i weigh 104 lbs and am 5’3. I am 13 years old. I have 2 bunions on both feet on my inner ankles so I tend to break down boots quickly without there being any visible damage. My coach has recommended anything from chorus and above for my exact jumping level, but my moves coach would prefer me to at least be in the concerto- however, I don’t care for that boot (doesn’t fit my foot quite right). As for cost, money is no object. Lastly, I do not care for the fit of the piano, as it does not fit my foot right, much like the concertos. it is almost the start of the synchro season, and my good ol’ choruses will not last another season of hardcore synchro training. so, I have 2 options. option a) i stick with the choruses another year. option b) I upgrade to the coveted ice fly model. originally, my plan was to go with the choruses another year, and then upgrade to the ice fly. however, in recent months i have grown unsatisfied with the level of padding and amount of ankle support in the boots I am wearing (I skate barefoot). I tried on a pair of ice flies, size 260, and I absolutely LOVED the amount of padding and cushioning I had. honestly, one of the comfiest boots I have ever tried on. the only problem is, I have heard about the ice flies breaking down quickly. so, this is where you come in. I would love to know how ice flies hold up for all doubles (excluding 2a), mif tests, dances and synchro, how they last throughout a typical skating season, and how they break down. All info is appreciated. thanks in advance.

I’m no professional, if your coach says you can have ice flies, and your comfortable with that boot I’d say why not. I don’t have ice flys , I have the chorus. If you think ice flies would suit you best we’ll go for it, but before you do, talk with your coach and ask skaters at your rink who have ice flies about them.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If your foot comfortably fits in the ice fly and your coaches approve it then go for it.

If it were me, I'd be looking for a boot that actually fits "my foot" perfectly and with comfort and not just a stock boot of a certain brand.

With your issues you may have to shy away from Edea in the future and look at getting a semicustom or custom of another brand.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Ice Flies are rated for triples and quads, so they'll definitely be sturdy enough until they break down, although I don't know how fast that will be or if they're really the best for you.