Best figure skating in Detroit/Chicago/Indy? | Golden Skate

Best figure skating in Detroit/Chicago/Indy?

Arwen17

Final Flight
So I might have to move in the future (due to family issues), and the area it has to be in is northern Indiana and Michigan.
I’ve looked at Indianapolis, Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Chicago. Indy seems about the same, but maybe a little better, than where I currently live in terms of freestyle ice options. Chicago and Detroit are likely vastly superior, but there’s so many rinks and clubs there, I’m not sure what’s the best choice. Grand Rapids seems tiny and far worse than what I have at the moment, in terms of freestyle ice times.
I prefer 5am-7:30am ice times since most fulltime office jobs want you working by 8am. I prefer the 4pm-6pm time slot left open since that’s usually when ballet studios do classes. In my current location, I skate every day in the morning at 5am and do ballet after work at 4pm.
I do not like the lunchtime practice sessions I see at so many rinks because I’ve never had a job that lets you leave for two full hours in the middle of the day like that. It’s one hour or less you get to leave work in the middle of the day.
How can so many rinks only offer lunch hour sessions like that? Who can go besides retirees? Kids can’t leave school. Adults can’t leave work.

I’m leaning towards Detroit over Chicago since I know the former adult national champion (double axel) is from there. And their website specifically mentions they have a massive adult skating community. I don’t really care about having lots of adults, it’s just a nice bonus feature. Mainly, I just want good and reasonable freestyle ice times.

What’s the best clubs and ice rinks for Chicago or Detroit or Indy? (If working a full time office job 8am-4pm/5pm and wanting to keep the late afternoons 4pm-6pm open for ballet classes.) Note: I’m taking ballet for itself. I want to go en pointe one day. I’m not just taking it as supplemental off-ice training.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm in Detroit often as I trained there for a very long time in the past and loved it. The amount of clubs and how much they "get" the figure skating culture wins for many of us.

Chicago metro is good as well. But if it were me, of course I would be picking Detroit metro.

Good luck! :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So I might have to move in the future (due to family issues), and the area it has to be in is northern Indiana and Michigan.
I’ve looked at Indianapolis, Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Chicago. Indy seems about the same, but maybe a little better, than where I currently live in terms of freestyle ice options. Chicago and Detroit are likely vastly superior, but there’s so many rinks and clubs there, I’m not sure what’s the best choice. Grand Rapids seems tiny and far worse than what I have at the moment, in terms of freestyle ice times.
I prefer 5am-7:30am ice times since most fulltime office jobs want you working by 8am. I prefer the 4pm-6pm time slot left open since that’s usually when ballet studios do classes. In my current location, I skate every day in the morning at 5am and do ballet after work at 4pm.
I do not like the lunchtime practice sessions I see at so many rinks because I’ve never had a job that lets you leave for two full hours in the middle of the day like that. It’s one hour or less you get to leave work in the middle of the day.
How can so many rinks only offer lunch hour sessions like that? Who can go besides retirees? Kids can’t leave school. Adults can’t leave work.

I’m leaning towards Detroit over Chicago since I know the former adult national champion (double axel) is from there. And their website specifically mentions they have a massive adult skating community. I don’t really care about having lots of adults, it’s just a nice bonus feature. Mainly, I just want good and reasonable freestyle ice times.

What’s the best clubs and ice rinks for Chicago or Detroit or Indy? (If working a full time office job 8am-4pm/5pm and wanting to keep the late afternoons 4pm-6pm open for ballet classes.) Note: I’m taking ballet for itself. I want to go en pointe one day. I’m not just taking it as supplemental off-ice training.

Are you just looking for morning freestyle ice time or are you looking for a coach or a full program with off ice or what?

If you’re just looking for freestyle ice time, in the Chicago area, Ridgeland Commons in Oak Park is a really pretty rink and used to have freestyle ice time from 5:45 to 9:00 am Monday during the week. I no longer live in the Chicago area so can’t tell you about current situation, but was cheap and freestyles generally weren’t crowded. However, it’s not really a competitive rink with high level coaches.

Dupage Center Ice in Glen Ellyn has had a number of competitive skaters, as does Glacier Ice Arena, which is run by Chris Howarth. I think Alex Ourashiev (Gracie’s old coach) works at both rinks. I think Robert Crown Center in Evanston has a lot of adult skaters and a lot of programming. Also check out Northbrook Sports Center in Northbrook and Centennial Ice in Wilmette. That really just scratches the surface though!

As far as clubs, check Skokie Valley (Jason Brown), DuPage FSC (Tomoki, Evan L) and Wagon Wheel (Gracie Gold).

mskater93

Record Breaker
There are a lot of adults that skate out of Glacier (myself included). There is also a fairly large group out of Naperville. PM me for Chicagoland info as I know rinks and coaches as I’ve worked all over the north, west and northwest suburbs

Nimyue

On the Ice
I'm in Detroit often as I trained there for a very long time in the past and loved it. The amount of clubs and how much they "get" the figure skating culture wins for many of us.

Chicago metro is good as well. But if it were me, of course I would be picking Detroit metro.

Good luck! :)

I live in GR. If I could pick, I'd also do Detroit. The Detroit FSC owns their rink so they have excellent ice availability.

However, I couldn't afford any of the options lol.

Chicago ice is the most expensive of the lot. $20/hr at many places. Detroit FSC is $11/hr if you contract a lot of ice. Lansing is $10/hr if you contract ice. We pay $10/90mins at one rink, $10/hr at the others. Also coaches in GR are by FAR the most affordable.

Lansing is a very kid oriented club with not a lot of adults. There are some though and they do have a lot of ice available.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
The Chicagoland area (especially the suburbs) has plenty of adult skaters and LOTS of rinks, some with very affordable ice, all with morning ice time. I can't speak to how it compares to Detroit, though. If you end up moving to the Chicago area, definitely send me a PM and I'd be happy to share info about my favorite rinks!