Hello Theatre on Ice skaters and coaches! | Golden Skate

Hello Theatre on Ice skaters and coaches!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi and Welcome!

Since Theatre on Ice is growing in the US, I requested this new forum to be added. I'm pretty new to TOI myself and hope that TOI skaters and coaches will visit and start threads with their questions, thoughts and observations here.

"Thank you" Golden Skate hosts for creating this new forum!

sandraskates

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hi and Welcome!

Since Theatre on Ice is growing in the US, I requested this new forum to be added. I'm pretty new to TOI myself and hope that TOI skaters and coaches will visit and start threads with their questions, thoughts and observations here.

"Thank you" Golden Skate hosts for creating this new forum!

sandraskates

Just wanted to say a big :thank: to YOU for suggesting that a forum be created for Theatre On Ice. :bow: :clap: :points:

Back in December 2014, I was watching the livestream of the French Championships, and they included a Theatre On Ice competition (or "Ice Ballet", as they called it). It was the first time I had seen this type of figure skating, and I loved it!!! :cheer:

Unfortunately, it is not a very well known category of figure skating. In fact, I would go as far as to say that only Fours Skating is less well known.

So I hope that the presence of this forum will help raise it's profile amongst fans. And that people will use it to let us know when there are competitions being streamed, as I for one would like to see more of it! :) :biggrin:

Synchronised Skating Forum ✅
Theatre On Ice Forum ✅

Now all we need is a Solo Dance Forum...

CaroLiza_fan

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You're welcome CaroLiza_fan!!
Although Synchronized Skating is alive and well, my old rink and my current rink no longer have synch teams but do have Theatre on Ice. My old rink was just getting started with a kids team and my current rink fields 4 different levels, including an Adult team - which is what I'm on.

I have done synchro back when it was called Precision Team. I'm finding the TOI routines more difficult to learn but perhaps that's because I'm now 20 years older. ;-) But I really like that there is room for expression and emoting when performing TOI.

Do you skate on a team?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You're welcome CaroLiza_fan!!
Although Synchronized Skating is alive and well, my old rink and my current rink no longer have synch teams but do have Theatre on Ice. My old rink was just getting started with a kids team and my current rink fields 4 different levels, including an Adult team - which is what I'm on.

I have done synchro back when it was called Precision Team. I'm finding the TOI routines more difficult to learn but perhaps that's because I'm now 20 years older. ;-) But I really like that there is room for expression and emoting when performing TOI.

Do you skate on a team?

Oh, no. I don't actually skate at all. (Went onto the ice once, and was so scared that I never let go of the boards! :laugh: But, I would like to try again some time). I'm just speaking as a fan.

For me, Theatre On Ice is more interesting to watch than Synchro.

Whilst Synchro takes an incredible amount of skill to get everything so, well, synchronised, it can look rather mechanical. And if even the slightest thing doesn't go perfectly, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Theatre On Ice, by contrast, is anything but mechanical. As you say, the skaters can express themselves and show emotion. Although we have come to expect this from the "main" categories of figure skating, it can sometimes seem a bit forced. In Theatre On Ice, though, there is a lot more freedom to do it, and it makes the whole thing seem more natural.

I can understand what you say about TOI routines being more difficult to learn than Synchro routines. Apart from anything else, different team members are doing different things, so it is not as if groups of skaters can work together on getting the same sequence into their heads.

But, if you are getting there and enjoying doing it, that is the main thing that matters.

All the best!

CaroLiza_fan

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Ooh, this is interesting! I never heard of this before and - so far - Googling has had rather limited results. Do you have any links for good examples of this "new" form of figure skating? The only things I've been able to find have been decidedly underwhelming and I'm pretty certain that this is something I would LOVE!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ooh, this is interesting! I never heard of this before and - so far - Googling has had rather limited results. Do you have any links for good examples of this "new" form of figure skating? The only things I've been able to find have been decidedly underwhelming and I'm pretty certain that this is something I would LOVE!

Since the videos she linked to are still up on YouTube, I may as well quote the replies that Doris made when I was asking what it was during the 2014 French Championships:

Some info on the sport of Ice ballet
http://www.csnballet.org/compét...equipes-teams/

This French team has some English info
http://www.asmbdansesurglace.fr/engl...tions_1705.htm

There are international competitions.

Here's Nations Cup from 2013

Part 2
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=adVtpfod9B0

It is also called Ice Theatre
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_theatre

Skating Club of Boston has a good team, for example. Marisa Castelli was one of the principal performers in 2013.

Here's a 2010 performance.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMH30H20RV0

So do San Francisco and Houston.

Also, this YouTube user has a whole pile of videos of the team she is in, Kallysta:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDBfIJ5YQHtclt21dHQHoMA/videos

Somewhat appropriately, this is the team that won the French Championships in 2014.

CaroLiza_fan

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I started a new thread, seeded with a handful of videos that can be found on YouTube. Enjoy! And visit YouTube for many, many more. :)

Sunshine247

On the Ice
We have a tiny group of mostly coaches and a few kids ina TOI group. My youngest skater loves it since she can really express herself and the group can include a variety of skaters at all levels Which is great. It’s a blast for her to express her dramatic side with skating. hope to see ,ore activity here!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
We have a tiny group of mostly coaches and a few kids ina TOI group. My youngest skater loves it since she can really express herself and the group can include a variety of skaters at all levels Which is great. It’s a blast for her to express her dramatic side with skating. hope to see ,ore activity here!
Yes, it is a great addition to skating since a group can be composed with everyone doing their part at their level of ability. Plus, it also stretches the skaters skills as they may skate to music and choreography that is out of their normal zone.

I hope your group has a fun year!

thavence77

Spectator
Yes, it is a great addition to skating since a group can be composed with everyone doing their part at their level of ability. Plus, it also stretches the skaters skills as they may skate to music and choreography that is out of their normal zone. To keep yourself in shape, I advise you to use training from bestbodyworkout.com

I hope your group has a fun year!
Cool answer! Thank you for your wishes! And all the best to you