Boot sizing, blade suggestion. | Golden Skate

Boot sizing, blade suggestion.

GracieGoldIsBAE

Rinkside
So, i've been skating in a 275 D(wide) Edea Chorus in the past few months, but they didnt really work out for me. The heel fit snug, ankle fit well, ball was too narrow, toe box was too narrow, skate was too long.

I kinda want to buy the new Jackson Debut, cause it'd fit my feet better i guess. I have narrower heel and wider ball.

My feet is 255 mm's long (about 9,9"), and the ball of my foot is 231 mm wide, which is a little above 9" (9,02).
However, nor me, neither my non-so-professional fitter cant decide whether i should go for the 6,5(261mm) or 6(255mm) size, or the medium or wide variation. The ball of my foot is almost exactly as wide as the wide size, but wider than the medium. I'm a little afraid of the wide, because my heel isnt super wide.

What size would you guys suggest?

Also, i've been skating on the new Legacy 8 blade, which is awesome for jumps. However, i'm a terrible spinner and i couldnt find the sweet spot on that damn thing yet.
I skate 3x2 hours a week. Got my single sal, toe, flip, half lutz, waltz, almost an axel(bit more than one quarter underrotation) in half a year of coaching. But i cant even do a proper scratch spin.

What blades do you suggest for more effortless spinning? My shop sells Ultima, MK and John Wilson.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have the men’s Debut, in a 7.5W. I don’t think the heel is a heck of a lot wider in the W, but if it is, you can always get the heel pinched, or wear Bungas. I think if the ball feels better on the W, I’d go with that - punchouts/stretching don’t always work as well as you’d want. Can your fitter order both for you so you can try them both on before you buy?

As for blades - I think most folks at your level are in either JW Coronation Aces or MK Professionals. I have the Pro myself - the rocker is very round and easy to find, and makes for fast spins, although it can be a bit unforgiving if you’re not well-centered. I’ve heard the CA rocker is a bit flatter but a little more forgiving while you’re trying to get the spin centered.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So, i've been skating in a 275 D(wide) Edea Chorus in the past few months, but they didnt really work out for me. The heel fit snug, ankle fit well, ball was too narrow, toe box was too narrow, skate was too long.

I kinda want to buy the new Jackson Debut, cause it'd fit my feet better i guess. I have narrower heel and wider ball.

My feet is 255 mm's long (about 9,9"), and the ball of my foot is 231 mm wide, which is a little above 9" (9,02).
However, nor me, neither my non-so-professional fitter cant decide whether i should go for the 6,5(261mm) or 6(255mm) size, or the medium or wide variation. The ball of my foot is almost exactly as wide as the wide size, but wider than the medium. I'm a little afraid of the wide, because my heel isnt super wide.

Also, i've been skating on the new Legacy 8 blade, which is awesome for jumps. However, i'm a terrible spinner and i couldnt find the sweet spot on that damn thing yet.
I skate 3x2 hours a week. Got my single sal, toe, flip, half lutz, waltz, almost an axel(bit more than one quarter underrotation) in half a year of coaching. But i cant even do a proper scratch spin.

What blades do you suggest for more effortless spinning? My shop sells Ultima, MK and John Wilson.
(1) When I was fitted for Jacksons, the skate tech took tracings and measurements of my feet according to Jackson's instructions and sent them to Jackson. A Jackson tech then decided the size and width (and whether a stock boot would be OK or whether I would need a semi-custom or custom).

(2) Ultima blades in general have a flatter spin rocker than Wilson or MK. So you can opt for the Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro; however, both of those have 7' radius main rockers instead of 8'.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I'm with T-stop, have someone else trace your foot and send it to Jackson.

Also, the heel can be pinched. I had it done on my last skates and it helped a lot. It's better to get a semi-custom, but in a pinch it does work.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

The question on what boot size / width to buy - and whether it’s easier to punch out a slightly too snug ball or pinch in a slightly too wide heel - is one your fitter should be able to answer. If they are unsure, they should find out from the distributor or Jackson. Or you could email Jackson yourself. Or perhaps there’s a better fitter near you.

FYI, the heels on Jackson stock skates are one width narrower than the ball. So for example, a C-width ball has a B-width heel. Your fitter should know what width your heel corresponds to in Jackson sizing.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm with T-stop, have someone else trace your foot and send it to Jackson.

Also, the heel can be pinched. I had it done on my last skates and it helped a lot. It's better to get a semi-custom, but in a pinch it does work.
I believe the Debut Fusion is built on the Elite last (the website used to say that explicitly, but the latest website doesn't, so need to verify with Jackson). With the Elite last, stock boots come in split width (heel is one width narrower than the ball). You need semi-custom only if your heel is more than one width narrower than the ball (or other adjustments).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

My suggestion, like always, is that you need a professional figure skate fitter. That is number one. Then they will measure you, take tracings, etc and tell you what boots fit you and will comfortably work. No guessing games. If your foot doesn't fit a stock you may have to work with boot manufacturer on semi-custom boots.

Blade suggestion is JW coronation ace or MK pro.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Seconding a professional figure skate fitter. Listening to strangers on the internet or random pro shop guys who mostly fit hockey skates is likely to result in a several hundred dollar mistake.

That being said, my heel isn't very wide, but the measurement of my ball is only half an inch smaller than the whole length of my foot. :jaw: Stock Jackson Freestyles, which are made on the same last as the Debut, fit me like a dream in a wide width (but might or might not fit you).

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I agree with everyone above - find a professional fitter! And be prepared that you may need semi-customs to accommodate your narrow heel and wide toebox - my feet are similarly shaped, and stock Jacksons didn't work for me. Always too loose in the heel while still too tight in the toes. I personally have a split-width semi-custom from Sp-Teri, but pretty much any boot manufacturer, including Jackson, can do a modified stock boot. See what your fitter says / have them trace your feet. Good luck!

GracieGoldIsBAE

Rinkside
I would love to find a professional fitter! However, i'm from a country where figure skating is not really a thing, and literally, theres only one shop which sells Edea and Jackson. Even this one is a 5 hour drive from where I live.. :( There are a few shops abroad (10+ hours by train each) and i have no idea, if its worth to go to any of them, because they mostly seem like Hockey oriented

Nimyue

On the Ice
I would love to find a professional fitter! However, i'm from a country where figure skating is not really a thing, and literally, theres only one shop which sells Edea and Jackson. Even this one is a 5 hour drive from where I live.. :( There are a few shops abroad (10+ hours by train each) and i have no idea, if its worth to go to any of them, because they mostly seem like Hockey oriented

Then have someone trace your foot and send it to Jackson. They can make recommendations based on that.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Then have someone trace your foot and send it to Jackson. They can make recommendations based on that.
Yes, if you have no competent fitter available, this is the route to go. I'd also recommend that you e-mail Jackson to get a copy of their measurement and tracing forms. They provide instructions on how to take the measurements and perform the tracings properly. Note: You need someone to help you; don't try to measure and trace your own feet ... you'll get skewed results.