‘Setbacks’ not a problem for France’s James and Cipres | Golden Skate

‘Setbacks’ not a problem for France’s James and Cipres

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
jamescipres.jpg

France’s Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres skated from one success to the next this past season, becoming the first French pair team to win the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and the first French pair in 87 years to claim the European title. The duo won every competition they entered with the exception of the World Championships. James collided with Italy’s Matteo Guarise in the warm up for the short program and was obviously hurt and rattled by the accident. After mistakes in the program, the European champions and top favorites ranked only seventh. With a strong free skate, they pulled up to fifth overall.

“It’s not only been an up and down season, it’s been an up and down career,” said James. “Now we’re heading towards where we want to be and I think with Worlds if we had won, we would have thought about maybe this is the time [to stop]. But it was a sign saying that we need to come back and be stronger and that we still have things to give to figure skating.”

More...

Here's hoping they can hang in until 2020! What do you think?

Looks like they might be using a "French" song for one of their programs next season. No work with Guillaume, though, as he needs to focus as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the interview. This is certainly a team that brings something special and unique to the pairs scene. Their career so far has been two steps forward for every setback.

This was an intriguing quote, regarding their future ambitions:

"We would love to develop pair skating in France,” said James. “The difficulty is that France is a very small country and figure skating is not like the national sport. We need to find single skaters so that we can make them pair skaters. We’re starting from nothing right now. I think France has to figure out how to get skating more popular and keep them lasting long enough in seniors.”

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks for the interview. This is certainly a team that brings something special and unique to the pairs scene. Their career so far has been two steps forward for every setback.

This was an intriguing quote, regarding their future ambitions:

It is...and I wonder if they've taken the first step in that direction already, as Hamon/Strekalin are moving to Zimmerman and Fontana for the new season.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
France’s Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres skated from one success to the next this past season, becoming the first French pair team to win the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and the first French pair in 87 years to claim the European title. The duo won every competition they entered with the exception of the World Championships. James collided with Italy’s Matteo Guarise in the warm up for the short program and was obviously hurt and rattled by the accident. After mistakes in the program, the European champions and top favorites ranked only seventh. With a strong free skate, they pulled up to fifth overall.

Here's hoping they can hang in until 2020! What do you think?

Looks like they might be using a "French" song for one of their programs next season. No work with Guillaume, though, as he needs to focus as well.

:love: I absolutely love this pair, and wonder why they get so little love from other skating fans. :scratch2: Sure they can be heartbreaking at times, but also thrilling, alluring, and trendy to say the least. And yes, they could seriously use some strong magic to break the "World Championship curse" that seems to plague them. Anybody know a good "curse/jinx removing spell"? :laugh:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It is...and I wonder if they've taken the first step in that direction already, as Hamon/Strekalin are moving to Zimmerman and Fontana for the new season.

I was kind of hoping for Vanessa to become an ISU Judge, the first person of color I believe; along with coaching duties. For Morgan, the fashion industry will probably be gunning for him, but of course he could do that along side his coaching duties too. Since Vanessa's husband (to be) is a trainer, coaching a pairs training school would seem to be the next step for them, and a good option.

Also on that note about Hamon and Strekalin, J/C are already working with them on some lifts, per one of their Instagram stories. So yep, it's in the works.
But first, J/C must stay until 2020!!!! :ddevil: :biggrin:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for the interview.

This is certainly a team that brings something special and unique to the pairs scene. Their career so far has been two steps forward for every setback.

Don't we all wished that was the case for us, instead of the usual 1 step forward and 2 steps back. J/C are definitely a positive force and soulful source of inspiration....to never give up the fight!! :yes2: :rock:

Casual

On the Ice
The duo won every competition they entered with the exception of the World Championships. James collided with Italy’s Matteo Guarise in the warm up for the short program and was obviously hurt and rattled by the accident.

A question for those who saw the World's SP (my DVR malfunctioned :( ) - I always wondered, who smashed into whom? James into Matteo, or Matteo into James? And how did it happen?

Casual

On the Ice
:love: I absolutely love this pair, and wonder why they get so little love from other skating fans. :scratch2: Sure they can be heartbreaking at times, but also thrilling, alluring, and trendy to say the least. And yes, they could seriously use some strong magic to break the "World Championship curse" that seems to plague them. Anybody know a good "curse/jinx removing spell" :laugh:

Sure beats me, how can people seriously prefer overhyped mediocrities, who might not even deserve the podium, to J/C? I don't believe it! :laugh:

They are awesome. Their FS this season is beyond mere skating, it's a masterpiece.

Sui/Han are also very good, but this season J/C were miles above. Such a shame they couldn't win a gold medal - but on the other hand, if their setback means we get to see them compete again, I'll take it! :luv17:

A question for those who saw the World's SP (my DVR malfunctioned :( ) - I always wondered, who smashed into whom? James into Matteo, or Matteo into James? And how did it happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=121MOokRdfs&t=0m36s

An accident. Matteo and Nicole are skating backwards across the ice and Vanessa is skating solo down the ice. To me, it looked like Matteo saw her out of the corner of his eye at the last minute and broke off his pattern, but could not avoid the collision.

Last edited:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Sure beats me, how can people seriously prefer overhyped mediocrities, who might not even deserve the podium, to J/C? I don't believe it! :laugh:

They are awesome. Their FS this season is beyond mere skating, it's a masterpiece.

Sui/Han are also very good, but this season J/C were miles above. Such a shame they couldn't win a gold medal - but on the other hand, if their setback means we get to see them compete again, I'll take it! :luv17:

Absolutely, they can be forgiven! It happened for a reason and us fans couldn't be more overjoyed for another year of skating ecstasy!! :eek:: But, I pray, please please let them top last year...if that's even possible! :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Happy to hear that Vanessa and Morgan will continue to compete. :yay:

Condolences to Vanessa re the loss of her paternal grandfather. :ghug:

I was kind of hoping for Vanessa to become an ISU Judge, the first person of color I believe; along with coaching duties. ...

Off topic, and I certainly mean no disrespect to Vanessa, but at least in U.S. usage, I believe "person of color" basically means non-white? And non-whites already are among ISU Judges.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=121MOokRdfs&t=0m36sTo me, it looked like Matteo saw her out of the corner of his eye at the last minute and broke off his pattern, but could not avoid the collision.

He did; he had just enough time to push Nicole out of the way but not enough to avoid it himself, though he tried to mitigate it as best he could, which is some incredibly impressive split-second decision-making. He ended up with some cracked ribs from it, sadly - they were still troubling him at WTT - but partly due to his quick thinking neither he nor Vanessa suffered any concussion.

On a less ouchy note, there's a new interview up on ice-dance.com with Meryl Davis and Charlie White, in which Charlie talks about what it was like choreographing for Vanessa and Morgan. The more attention they get, the more it becomes clear that they've really got themselves figured out now and come into each season with clear goals and an incredible level of preparation - no wonder they keep getting better and better.

Also on that note about Hamon and Strekalin, J/C are already working with them on some lifts, per one of their Instagram stories. So yep, it's in the works.

I missed that! I know they were teaching their dance lift from the FS choreo sequence to Galyavieva and Thauron, though. It may become a part of the French pairs/ice dance repertiore... :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
He did; he had just enough time to push Nicole out of the way but not enough to avoid it himself, though he tried to mitigate it as best he could, which is some incredibly impressive split-second decision-making. He ended up with some cracked ribs from it, sadly - they were still troubling him at WTT - but partly due to his quick thinking neither he nor Vanessa suffered any concussion.

I agree. From the video it seems clear that Matteo managed to get his arms part way around Vanessa and cushion her fall as best he could.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I missed that! I know they were teaching their dance lift from the FS choreo sequence to Galyavieva and Thauron, though. It may become a part of the French pairs/ice dance repertiore... :laugh:

Yep, and while Charlie White is getting all the praise for their choreography for "Wicked Games", it was actually Vanessa who created that upside down lift, and the move where Morgan is holding Vanessa while he is in a spread eagle. They really must name these lifts! But I believe Charlie did create the spread eagle into the 3S's, which was also a big hit! :agree2:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yep, and while Charlie White is getting all the praise for their choreography for "Wicked Games", it was actually Vanessa who created that upside down lift, and the move where Morgan is holding Vanessa while he is in a spread eagle. They really must name these lifts! But I believe Charlie did create the spread eagle into the 3S's, which was also a big hit! :agree2:

Yes, according to a previous interview that I can't now find the link to, Vanessa is the creative mind behind most of their lifts, though Morgan's come up with a few things too - particularly his signature lunge.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yes, according to a previous interview that I can't now find the link to, Vanessa is the creative mind behind most of their lifts, though Morgan's come up with a few things too - particularly his signature lunge.

They are truly innovative and trend-setters! Gotta love the French! :biggrin:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Now to get back on track....though just slightly off topic. :biggrin:

I wonder what effect will Tarasova and Morozov training in Florida will have on Vanessa and Morgan? Um...not to brag :laugh:...but you know I did make that off-handed joking prediction that T/M would move to the US this summer, but I thought they would go to Robin in L.A. But of course, being Russian they have to keep it in the family and found a Russian coach in the US who just happened to be in Florida. Now, since Vanessa and Morgan found success after moving to Florida and John Zimmerman, I wonder if that may have been on the mind of Evgenia and Vladimir, or was their move to Florida just a coincident? Of course, there's no such thing as a coincident. There's always a plan.

While almost everyone is delighted by this news and can already see T/M names in lights on the marquee, I on the other-hand have some reservations. I mean can Marina Zueva do for T/M what John Z did for Vanessa and Morgan? To me, John Z unleashed the chemistry between J/C, that they had most likely buried when they split as a couple. But with Vanessa comfortable in her romantic relationship, she and Morgan were at a point to allow this chemistry to emerge safely which allowed them to finally flourish. Then couple that with strong emotional programs, and voila!

Could something similar happen with T/M? Could it be something in that Florida water to help them flourish? Or was that a one-trick pony ride just for Vanessa and Morgan? Or, will this instead rattle Vanessa and Morgan?
Sure will be interesting to see. :popcorn:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope that they will continue to have a modernizing effect on the field.

A modernising effect on the field is a great way to put it - I don't want to simplify things too much by laying everything at the foot of their Earned It/Sounds of Silence season, but there has been something of a sea-change in the Pairs field over the past few years and I do think they seemed to spark something there in terms of music choices and presentation, the sense that Pairs didn't have to be balletic and technical first-and-foremost. Savchenko and Massot's comparatively brief but spectacular exploration of integrating ice dance elements into pairs and Duhamel and Radford's commitment to power skating the way that suited them best both brought something new and great, but I think it was really the Sounds of Silence program going viral like it did that showed not only that Pairs could be modern (or maybe contemporary is a better word?) in all ways - music choice, movement style, theme, emotion and costuming - but that it could be adored for doing so.

Pairs felt like the Cinderella discipline for so long. J/C have done a lot to make it a powerhouse one now, especially by following up SoS with Wicked Games (and the underrated Say Something). Everyone in the field seems to have taken a boost from the way they've broken out, too. It's good to see.