Larkyn Austman Announces Retirement | Golden Skate

Larkyn Austman Announces Retirement

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Wonderful watching your maturity over the years, Larkyn. Thank you! Congratulations on your successes and enjoy this exciting time in your life!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Good decision. Without Katelyn we must hope Gabby and Alaine heal whatever needs healing. Is there any star coming out of Canadian Juniors? Who could be the next Katelyn or even Joanie? Come on Canada!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She's always been such a vivid presence on the ice - I'll miss her. Wishing her the best in all things in the future!

bloomies20

Rinkside
This was certainly unexpected. She's only 21 and in a relatively weak Canadian ladies field she could skate for a long time. Also sucks that she missed Worlds by 0.01 point for her SP tech score. Wishing her the best in retirement.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Good decision. Without Katelyn we must hope Gabby and Alaine heal whatever needs healing. Is there any star coming out of Canadian Juniors? Who could be the next Katelyn or even Joanie? Come on Canada!

There's Aurora Cotop, but her technical content isn't very high. The Canadian novice ladies champion shows promise, but of course she's very young.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
This is very surprising news, given her age and the state of the women's field in Canadian skating. I hope that she will have a fulfilling post-competitive skating career. She has a wonderful presence and maturity on the ice, so she'd be a great addition to any skating show. All the best, Larkyn! :)

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
There's Aurora Cotop, but her technical content isn't very high. The Canadian novice ladies champion shows promise, but of course she's very young.

I've got my eye on Aurora. She was coming back from a pelvis fracture last year, which is why her content was lower. I anticipate that Aurora will show great improvement this coming year, as long as she stays healthy.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, I'm going to miss her. I thought she was such a modern looking young lady.

doublequad

On the Ice
I'm not. Went through her stats and she didn't land a clean triple-triple internationally (not even 3T-3T) at all through her career. yawn

joeonice

Rinkside
Very sad to hear as she stepping up her tech content little by little.... altho the slating moves fast it’s a shame she wasn’t able to keep up..... best of luck to her!!

If she would added a lutz she could prob Canadian champ what could have been

Very sad to hear as she stepping up her tech content little by little....

I agree. Both stepping up and settling in. She never quite got her 3S/3T working in the 2017-18 season, but when she switched to the 3Lo/2T in 2028-19 she showed greater confidence.

(OT: @joeonice: I don't know why, but your username makes me smile. :) )

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm not. Went through her stats and she didn't land a clean triple-triple internationally (not even 3T-3T) at all through her career. yawn

wow.. ok... if that is your criterion for a successful skater.. then let's discard all skaters who have never landed a 3-3....

larkyn was not a fave of mine but i appreciated her unique and when i say unique, i mean it, grown up, edgy style. she is a fabulous interpret of a wide range of music, especially cabaret and musicals. i'd watch her in show over a bunch of 3-3 skaters

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yeah, not sure what is the point of such a blanket dismissal post in a skater's retirement thread...

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker

The only thing to yawn about is unnecessarily unkind comments.

Best of luck to Larkyn. I know she was never quite able to reach her potential but she had style in spades. I hope she keeps skating shows in the future.