Larkyn Austman Announces Retirement | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Larkyn Austman Announces Retirement

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am surprised but wish her well. She went to the olympics - what an experience. I hope she just thought of herself regardless of what seems to be a week ladies field There are two spots open and they seem wide open especially with health issues with Gabby. She knew that so i assume Larkyn left on her own terms. Maybe she has academic and other goals so good for her. Never my favorite but I wish her well.

Keep you eye on Aurora Cotop and I am hoping to see Daleman and Chartrand to be revived. I wonder if Chartrand would think about Ravi Walia as a coach in Edmonton? But with her French Canada ties I doubt it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am surprised but wish her well. She went to the olympics - what an experience. I hope she just thought of herself regardless of what seems to be a week ladies field There are two spots open and they seem wide open especially with health issues with Gabby. She knew that so i assume Larkyn left on her own terms. Maybe she has academic and other goals so good for her. Never my favorite but I wish her well.

Keep you eye on Aurora Cotop and I am hoping to see Daleman and Chartrand to be revived. I wonder if Chartrand would think about Ravi Walia as a coach in Edmonton? But with her French Canada ties I doubt it.

Alaine has NO French Canada ties LOL.... yes her name is French but even her father doesn't speak it... she doesn't either... she is very much an English speaking Ontario girl ;) just like Meagan, who also has a French name but cannot speak a word of it though living in montreal for so many years...

doublequad

On the Ice
wow.. ok... if that is your criterion for a successful skater.. then let's discard all skaters who have never landed a 3-3....

larkyn was not a fave of mine but i appreciated her unique and when i say unique, i mean it, grown up, edgy style. she is a fabulous interpret of a wide range of music, especially cabaret and musicals. i'd watch her in show over a bunch of 3-3 skaters

The only thing to yawn about is unnecessarily unkind comments.

Best of luck to Larkyn. I know she was never quite able to reach her potential but she had style in spades. I hope she keeps skating shows in the future.

I wish her all the best and I'm glad she made the decision to retire on her own terms, but the yawn is how I feel about her programs. I'm sure she's a lovely person, but I didn't like her skating very much because of the lack in technical difficulty. So yes, I absolutely find a program lacking if there's no 3-3 and no lutz, especially in 2019. I don't mean to make unkind comments about a skater personally.

Alaine has NO French Canada ties LOL.... yes her name is French but even her father doesn't speak it... she doesn't either... she is very much an English speaking Ontario girl ;) just like Meagan, who also has a French name but cannot speak a word of it though living in montreal for so many years...

Wait, wait! OK, I can go along with "Meagan Duhamel." Maybe there is a little Welsh or Greek in there somewhere.

But "Alaine Chartrand"? What is the world coming to, if this person is not French? ;)

By the way, "Austman" (East man) is Icelandic, sort of. (Not to be confused with the fine surname, "Austfjord.")

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

'THIS' reminds me of how some should educate themselves in advance, as commenting without facts shows a limited knowledge and makes me think twice when reading their submissions.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sorry, I do not know much about a lot of Canadian skaters other than Kaetlyn Osmond and a bit about Gabby. But I do think some changes might help Alaine. This woman was a one time top 10 or8 worldskater. I hope Larkyn she wasn't discouraged about not making the world team this year. I wonder what she will do next. She could easily skate with Disney on Ice or a cruise ship.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
'THIS' reminds me of how some should not be commenting on the state of Canadian women, or a topic they are truly not familiar. Must be having a bad ''week''. ;)

Oh Osmond4gold you should be free to share. It's okay. I hope you have a better week.

I hope to hear more about Larkyn (what this post is about) and what she plans to do now.

'THIS' reminds me of how some should not be commenting on the state of Canadian women without knowing the facts, or a topic they are truly not as familiar as they think they are.

But then, too, it's innocuous to wonder whether someone might have a French (or even Icelandic) background. If your guess is wrong, it's wrong, that's all. Someone can gently correct you. No harm, no foul. :yes:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wait, wait! OK, I can go along with "Meagan Duhamel." Maybe there is a little Welsh or Greek in there somewhere.

But "Alaine Chartrand"? What is the world coming to, if this person is not French? ;)

By the way, "Austman" (East man) is Icelandic, sort of. (Not to be confused with the fine surname, "Austfjord.")

well... i am not meaning her family doesn't come from a French settler... i mean there are tons of funky French named places in the USA like Charlevoix, Des Moines, Baton Rouge, ou Alaine's favourite, coeur d'Alène :)

but Alaine and her close family are not rooted in French Canada, as the poster was mentioning.

BTW : many French speaking figure skaters did train outside of Quebec, Josée Chouinard, Cynthia Phaneuf, just to name these two come to mind.. so I was just clarifying some facts....

Regarding Larkyn, I could find her name some French roots too : from Laurier, Laurel in English... meaning crowned with victory, just like Julius Caesar

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker

Err, I don't know where you got Icelandic out of Austman. Icelandic names have patronymics instead of surnames, so if it doesn't end with 'sson' or 'dottir' it doesn't sound particularly Icelandic to me.