Performing in the spotlight | Golden Skate

Performing in the spotlight

I have a question for skaters who do shows, galas, exhibitions, etc., where the rink is darkened and you are followed by a spotlight.

Is it a challenge to learn to trust yourself to jump into darkness, when you can't see where you are going to land?

To me, it seems like this would something like, "Hey, jump off this cliff. Don't worry, an invisible net will materialize to catch you." Isn't there an instinctual reaction by your body of, "I think I'll pass on that"?

Second question. Does the spotlight operator need to practice with you so that he/she knows when you are going to make change of direction moves, etc., or can a good light person keep up on the fly?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have a question for skaters who do shows, galas, exhibitions, etc., where the rink is darkened and you are followed by a spotlight.

Is it a challenge to learn to trust yourself to jump into darkness, when you can't see where you are going to land?

To me, it seems like this would something like, "Hey, jump off this cliff. Don't worry, an invisible net will materialize to catch you." Isn't there an instinctual reaction by your body of, "I think I'll pass on that"?

Second question. Does the spotlight operator need to practice with you so that he/she knows when you are going to make change of direction moves, etc., or can a good light person keep up on the fly?

Yes and yes. It takes awhile to get used to spotlights and show lighting because they will blind you on the ice (spotlights).
Might I add that my experience is with pro tours and so on, so the lighting techs have time to learn your program. Everything with the lighting and music is "choreographed" together.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The first time I did a showcase competition, the rink was totally dark except for the judges stand. I remember thinking of the spotlight as having a friend on the ice with me. It was actually rather comforting as I didn't feel so alone!

As the years went on, the rink did not darken the audience area quite as much so the spotlight did not seem nearly as bright. The other detail was that there was not just a spotlight; there were additional colored, low-level lights (5 I think) being operated. For a showcase competition, the spotlight operator will not be able to learn the program every competitor. They will just follow the skater "on the fly".

I once went to a benefit show organized by Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. I happened to find myself sitting right next to the spotlight. They tapped pairs skater Aaron Parchem to work the spotlight. I don't know how much previous experience he had, but it all went off without a hitch. :yes:

Arwen17

Final Flight
First and only time I’ve skated with a spotlight so far was during our Xmas show last year. I actually found I skated better than usual with a spotlight. There was less hesitation simply because I couldn’t see anything. I threw myself into jumps and camel spins with the thrill of not being able to see the cliff. I can walk off a cliff as long as I can’t see it’s there. Does that make sense?