Preparing my first ever routine. How to optimize the process? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Preparing my first ever routine. How to optimize the process?

gkelly

Record Breaker
If you're not thinking in terms of competition at this point, then don't worry about how many "elements" you have to earn points and focus more on which of your current skills (as you can actually perform them on the ice) fit with the music you choose to skate to.

If you get more technical skills and want to get more serious about competing, maybe the adult competition in Oberstdorf, Germany would be of interest to you someday.

Sinus Pi

Rinkside
gkelly, yes, Oberstdorf could be one of the possibilities, perhaps one day. Perhaps even with the same routine, in its 237th variation, after having more and more tricky stuff added as I go. But that's thinking way, way ahead of my current level, at which I'm only wondering how to best prepare for even toying with the idea of a program.

One suggestion I found online was to start with something bare bones - that is, make a program comprised solely of three turns, slaloms, cross-rolls, spread eagles, mohawks, ballet jumps, basically "moves in the field" - enhanced with some theatrics and arm work - and memorize and drill it until it's natural and teaches me the flow of the program and enforces proper rhythmical flow. After that, according to that tip, I should finally get a coach and start putting in scoring elements. That's more or less the area I'm thinking about, not which competition I'd sign up for, that's ages ahead! :D