2019-20 full ISU International Calender published | Golden Skate

2019-20 full ISU International Calender published

Nirti

Medalist
Wow, there's 8 new competitions, 8 competitions are back and compared to last season only one disappeared from the calendar (the Alpen Trophy)
We've rarely seen a so big change between 2 seasons.

- 4 new events in Asia with a "new" Challenger Series event in Taiwan. The South-East Asian Games are back in Philippines and Kazakhstan will hold their first 100% figure skating event in the memory of Denis Ten. Shanghai Trophy is back too after a first edition in 2017.
- 3 new events in Hungary, Budapest Trophy and Valentine Cup. Avas Cup is back... We'll soon see one competition per week in this country :biggrin:
- 3 new events in the Balkan Countries : Black Sea Cup (Bulgaria), Bellu Memorial (Romania) and Sarajevo Open back in Bosnia-Hercegovina.
- 2 new events in Italy : Icelab Cup and the comeback of the Mezzaluna Cup, which last edition was held in 2000!
- 3 events are back in Europe : Ice Challenge (Austria), Coupe de Nice (France, with new name and sponsor) and Golden Lynx (Belarus, was already held as a JGP)
- 1 brand new event in UK : the Tayside Trophy

Andrea82

Medalist
I think Bellu Memorial ideally replaces Olympic Hopes which was supposed to take place in Romania on 6-12th Febrauary 2018 but then was cancelled.

IIRC there was a competition in Bulgaria in April this season that seems to be gone

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Changes to Philadelphia Summer International Competition for 2019/20:

In 2018/19, only Senior Ladies and Senior Men competed.

In 2019/20, Junior Ladies and Junior Men are returning to PSIC competition after a one-year hiatus.
(In 2017/18, Ting Cui and Ryan Dunk were PSIC's Junior winners.
Segments for Juniors were not included in the Announcement for 2018/19, and did not take place in 2018/19.)​

No plan to attempt Pairs competition in 2019/20.
(Senior Pairs originally was included in the Announcement for 2018/19, but did not materialize.)​

Nirti

Medalist
I think Bellu Memorial ideally replaces Olympic Hopes which was supposed to take place in Romania on 6-12th Febrauary 2018 but then was cancelled.

IIRC there was a competition in Bulgaria in April this season that seems to be gone

Oh yes, the Skate Victoria was created at the "last minute" in order to have a 5th event for the European Criterium. For next season, they only announce 4 events, so maybe one more will be added later?

I wonder who was Bellu?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh yes, the Skate Victoria was created at the "last minute" in order to have a 5th event for the European Criterium. For next season, they only announce 4 events, so maybe one more will be added later?

I wonder who was Bellu?

I can't find anybody Bellu that is connected with figure skating. But, that doesn't mean that there isn't one out there.

Perhaps it is named after Barbu Bellu, a famous 19[SUP]th[/SUP] Century politician (English Wikipedia page; Romanian Wikipedia page).

There is also a page about his family on the Romanian Wikipedia, but none of them jumps out as being a candidate.

The only other Bellu I can find is a Gymnastics coach, Octavian Bellu (English Wikipedia page; Romanian Wikipedia page).

Of these, I think it is most likely to be Barbu. But, it could be somebody else that I haven't found.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think it is Nicolae Bellu. Apparently a former skater. I guess he is the same Nicolae Bellu from Romania who was one of the judges in the Men event at Salt Lake City Olympics
It seems there has been a Memorial Nicolae Bellu since 2014 but as a local competition/event.

https://evz.ro/eveniment-de-patinaj...or-nicolae-bellu-in-afi-palace-cotroceni.html

Yes, that totally seems like the right candidate now. :agree:

But I wonder why my search (using the words "Bellu" and "skate") did not come up with him... :confused2:

Thank you. :thank:

CaroLiza_fan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
If I could, I would go to one each week:laugh:

But probably 5-6 comps for me this upcoming season which is SUPER-exciting! I am learning new styles of crepe/tissue paper flowers right now and already making some cards:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Meanwhile, it is sorta noteworthy (IMO) that Team Challenge Cup is not on the schedule. A 2018 edition originally was on the ISU official calendar for 2017/18, but it quietly got cancelled.

Maybe TCC has been abandoned (or at least put on the back burner indefinitely)? It was intended to take place in non-WTT years.

2016 TCC left a lot to be desired as to how things (many different things) were structured, but 2020 -- without OWG -- would have been a good year to try to make improvements.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meanwhile, it is sorta noteworthy (IMO) that Team Challenge Cup is not on the schedule. A 2018 edition originally was on the ISU official calendar for 2017/18, but it quietly got cancelled.

Maybe TCC has been abandoned (or at least put on the back burner indefinitely)? It was intended to take place in non-WTT years.

2016 TCC left a lot to be desired as to how things (many different things) were structured, but 2020 -- without OWG -- would have been a good year to try to make improvements.

I love the Team Challenge Cup. It's structured differently but I like that other countries can get to go. And I was sad that it was cancelled. I hope it will be scheduled for April 2020.

Andrea82

Medalist
Nice has been cancelled again

Budapest Trophy is also cancelled. As it was scheduled one week earlier than Halloween Cup (held in Budabest), maybe Budabest was indeed getting too crowded of skating competitions.
The Senior events are added to Santa Claus Cup (Budapest, early December) which was supposed to be a only Junior and Novice event.

Cup of Tyrol has been moved from 5-10 to 8-13 November