2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Yes, Soyoun Park has announced her retirement. However, she will continue to skate in shows and has joined Cirque du Soleil.

LRK

Record Breaker
Noo!!!

Sigh. Understandable, but I'll miss her. Best of luck to So Youn in the future, and with all her endeavours.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Can’t say I’m surprised but...I was really hoping she’d do one last season :(

I’ll miss you Soyoun!!! :cry:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Italian Ice Dancer Andrea Fabbri has announced his retirement.

Here is the announcement on the partnership's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=684352938684362&id=443946596058332

And here is a screenshot on Carolina's Instagram page, along with her response:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bypjxa8o462/

Suffice to say, it's for personal reasons, and has nothing to do with his partnership, which he describes as being important to him.

Nevertheless, his decision has come as a surprise to her.

All the best with whatever the future holds for each of them.

(Hopefully a new partner, in Carolina's case ;) :biggrin: )

CaroLiza_fan

TarAncalime

On the Ice
Here is summary of the second page of Joti Polizoakis' post https://www.instagram.com/p/Byaa9EBpcKO/

I would like to thank my coaches and sport clubs. I began in REV Heilbronn, I was there only for three years but everything began there and I’m happy that you followed my career. Then, I was in TUS Stuttgart and that’s where my competitive career really began. Then Waldau and of course Oberstdorf. I’m proud that I can say I trained in Oberstdorf.

My coaches over the years… Tracey Solomons-Henn, Rolf Oesterreich, Christel Hacker, Michael Huth, Igor Spilband, Marina Zoueva and Martin Skotnicky and all choreographers, ballet coaches, athletic trainers, mentors. Behind my success is the work of you all. Thank you that you believed in me, that you were patient with me and brought out the best from me.

My biggest thank you goes to my family – my parents and siblings. My parents seemed to always be able to turn the impossible into possible and make me happy. Mom, dad, I will be forever thankful to you.

My love for skating is as strong as ever. I will remain in the figure skating world. I will train and perform and you will see me in shows! But I would also like to do choreographies and to coach.

Dear fans and friends, thank you for you support over the years. It means the world to me. Till today I have every gift and letter I’ve received from you. This is not a goodbye, we will see each other in the future.

I’ve always been a skater, I’m a skater and I will forever be a skater.

Thank you.

Joti will concentrate on his career as a choreograf/coach in ice dance and figure skating in the future. Especially DOI played a role in his decision. Coaching adult skaters is a challenge he obviuosly likes. Joti will be with Marina Kielmann and Katja Weigold at a Summercamp in Willingen in July coaching both adult skaters such as me and young elite skaters from German clubs.

I am looking very much forward to it and will keep you posted about the camp.

Joti also joined forces with Aljona Savchenko this spring for a coaching project in Oberstdorf and recently coached ice dance in the yearly training camp of the Bavarian federation in Oberstdorf.

Nirti

Medalist
Uh, that's too bad for Carolina, I found her so promising when she skated for Hungary. Now she's 23 and without partner again...

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
^ It's been added, though the discussion was mostly in Polina's retirement's own thread. IMO this one has really derailed. I find the language talk interesting, but I'd be happier if it was moved to a new thread, and if hints/personal beliefs about politics, no matter how veiled, were left out altogether by some posters.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
^ It's been added, though the discussion was mostly in Polina's retirement's own thread. IMO this one has really derailed. I find the language talk interesting, but I'd be happier if it was moved to a new thread, and if hints/personal beliefs about politics, no matter how veiled, were left out altogether by some posters.

I'm really sorry for de-railing the thread. I honestly didn't expect it to become a full-blown conversation!

But, since it has, as you requested, the language talk has now been moved into it's own thread, which can be found here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?81084

The posts that only talked about the relationships between languages have been moved to the new thread. The posts that talked about both were copied to the new thread, and both posts then had the bits that were relevant to the other thread edited out. The quote links were also edited where necessary, so that they point to the correct post.

This is the first time I have done this sort of thread split, so please let me know if there are any mistakes.

Sorry again.

CaroLiza_fan

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wince at being the one to set up such a thread, but there have been a few retirements already and I think it would be good to keep track of them this way, as the less famous skaters usually don't have a thread in the Edge when they quit skating. I intend to keep updating the OP throughout the season.
Have I omitted anyone?

- confirmed retirements up till now:

Men:
Javier Fernandez
Maxim Kovtun
Alexander Majorov
Phillip Harris

Ladies:
Kaetlyn Osmond
Anna Pogorilaya
Polina Tsurskaya
SoYoun Park
Larkyn Austman
Camilla Gjersem

- unconfirmed retirements:

Ashley Wagner
Mirai Nagasu
Carolina Kostner
Elena Radionova
the Shibutanis
Savchenko/Massot, I think there's no way either is coming back now

Well Savchenko could be the new Zoe Jones. Don't count her out. Her theme song is from the Greatest Showman - Never Enough! She is competitive, fierce and a diva after all. She gets what she wants.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Well Savchenko could be the new Zoe Jones. Don't count her out. Her theme song is from the Greatest Showman - Never Enough! She is competitive, fierce and a diva after all. She gets what she wants.

That's true. But I think Bruno is done with competitive skating now, so Aljona may need a new partner if she does return.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
That's true. But I think Bruno is done with competitive skating now, so Aljona may need a new partner if she does return.

Aljona talked in an interview that her father wants her to continue for another Olympics, maybe she wants to fullfill his wish? :D

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

In a John Wilson Blades interview 5 days ago, Aljona said,

"I hope we can come back and beat again ourselves." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PSkrgmMDo

The interviewer had asked how it felt to establish an IJS record. Aljona seems clear in her thinking that she wants to come back. The question is Bruno, but you're right that "she gets what she wants." She might be able to persuade him, but she's wise enough to say she takes life from year to year.

Aljona gives a sublime answer to the question "what is special about this place (Obertsdorf)?" A few phrases from 6:07 onward:

Like magic.... you have great opportunity to do what you love to do without any distraction ... and I think this is the platform for success. If you don't have this, it's like energy going hop-hop.... Here at the end of the day you are calm again. Next day you are fresh. And yeah this is something special what make this to success.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PSkrgmMDo

I'm in love with her, her answers, her ideas, her reasons for skating. In love with her and Bruno's skating. I believe skating with Bruno (also her new coaches and being married to Liam Cross) brought out things in her, made them visible, which had perhaps been there, dormant or not, but not yet having been made visible in her skating. She's such an interesting human being, and it goes far beyond her being such a great competitor, which is awesome, but not the whole story.

mrsaybia

Rinkside
In a John Wilson Blades interview 5 days ago, Aljona said,

"I hope we can come back and beat again ourselves." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PSkrgmMDo

The interviewer had asked how it felt to establish an IJS record. Aljona seems clear in her thinking that she wants to come back. The question is Bruno, but you're right that "she gets what she wants." She might be able to persuade him, but she's wise enough to say she takes life from year to year.

Aljona gives a sublime answer to the question "what is special about this place (Obertsdorf)?" A few phrases from 6:07 onward:

Like magic.... you have great opportunity to do what you love to do without any distraction ... and I think this is the platform for success. If you don't have this, it's like energy going hop-hop.... Here at the end of the day you are calm again. Next day you are fresh. And yeah this is something special what make this to success.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PSkrgmMDo

I'm in love with her, her answers, her ideas, her reasons for skating. In love with her and Bruno's skating. I believe skating with Bruno (also her new coaches and being married to Liam Cross) brought out things in her, made them visible, which had perhaps been there, dormant or not, but not yet having been made visible in her skating. She's such an interesting human being, and it goes far beyond her being such a great competitor, which is awesome, but not the whole story.

Well, first she will give birth to a beautiful baby girl this year and will give lessons with Bruno to new talent at the Holiday on Ice Academy. Then later next year they'll might be skating at Holiday on ice too. Would be great though that they will start skating together competitive wise though. ;) Who knows!!

About Zoe Jones! So so incredible that she's still on the ice! You can see that she's having the time of her life on the ice!!! Respect!!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, first she will give birth to a beautiful baby girl this year !

Yeah, the interviewer asked her how the baby would effect her future plans, and she said, "I don't know. I've never had this [experience] before." (paraphrased.) That's very sensible! Plan, but be flexible.

Arbitrary

Medalist
One did return to the ice after giving birth to her 1st baby. The tragedy followed but it wasn't related to the fact of her motherhood.

P.S. Also there is one prima-ballerina in some Russian ballet (not The Bolshoy) who is a mother of three. And still dancing prima.

mrsaybia

Rinkside
Hihi! I just saw the interview and my husband and I had 2 seconds of fame! We were there in Milano last year to see them. At 7 min. and 39 sec. we were on screen, behind the judges!! So funny!!!! Normally they are filming the opposite side. I made a print screen of it, of course!! :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
One did return to the ice after giving birth to her 1st baby. The tragedy followed but it wasn't related to the fact of her motherhood.

P.S. Also there is one prima-ballerina in some Russian ballet (not The Bolshoy) who is a mother of three. And still dancing prima.

Didn't Irina Rodina come back and win OGM? Are you talking about Gordeeva and Grinkov in respect to tragedy. There was also triumph.