2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

russell30

Final Flight

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
That is such a shame about Alena....she was so lovely to watch, but can understand the current Eteri trio at the moment seem unstoppable until Beijing unless Sinistyna or Valieva can create something special...I can see Liza and Zhenya possibly retiring too in the next season or so...

I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw Liza and/or Evgenia at the Olympics again — but skating for a different country. Both seem pretty determined to keep competing at a high level. Because neither has competed internationally since the fall, they would be eligible for 2021 Worlds, assuming RussFed releases them.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw Liza and/or Evgenia at the Olympics again — but skating for a different country. Both seem pretty determined to keep competing at a high level. Because neither has competed internationally since the fall, they would be eligible for 2021 Worlds, assuming RussFed releases them.

Which would be a tall order.

Nirti

Medalist
Chloe Choinard (Canada) is on IcePartnerSearch again. She teamed up last year with Shaquille Davis.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine

Mission impossible.

GF2445

Record Breaker
With all the money RUSSFED have used to invest in these two, I don't see that happening.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice

Maybe they can try ice dancing. Russ Fed probably won't release them.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Maybe they can try ice dancing. Russ Fed probably won't release them.

I hate this assumption that anyone can just go into ice dance like it's not hard. As a former elite ice dancer and singles skater I'm here to say, please let's stop this absurdity. Ice dance takes many years of specialized training and many other considerations.

Yes, there are some singles that transferred over to ice dance at a late time in their career and it may or may not have worked, but 9 out of 10 times it's a no.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Ah. The Russian Ladies thread. That thread scares me, so I tend to avoid it. [emoji14]

It's a shame if she has retired, but understandable. She has had a VERY successful career and, although it would have been nice for her to get a gold medal at a Major, there is nothing more that she needs to prove. We all know just how good she is.

So, it is wise for her to step back for the good of her long-term health. We may love her beautiful skating, but we don't want her to end up with serious problems in a few years time.

Don't worry, that was just me talking based on my personal experience.

When I started the corresponding thread in previous seasons, I asked that posters keep it to official announcements, so as to try to prevent the thread descending into arguments between members about whether somebody was retiring or not. You know, the sort of arguments that are currently happening in the Splits Thread.

It worked for a while, but then the speculation and arguments started. And because I had started the thread, I felt personally responsible.

And that is why I didn't start the thread this time. ;) [emoji3]

CaroLiza_fan
The Russian ladies thread is my favourite thread! [emoji13]haha

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hate this assumption that anyone can just go into ice dance like it's not hard. As a former elite ice dancer and singles skater I'm here to say, please let's stop this absurdity. Ice dance takes many years of specialized training and many other considerations.

Yes, there are some singles that transferred over to ice dance at a late time in their career and it may or may not have worked, but 9 out of 10 times it's a no.

I am not sure Alena's decision was because ice dancing was easier. It is what she chose in place of singles. Shecould have done pairs which might be morether training- jumps, spins. But I wish h er well. You know Ihae to respectskaters who go after their dreams no matter what the obstaclesand at the same time you have to appreciate those who make a good decision for themselves andsoley themselves. Skating at a high level should be forjoy and fulfillment yes but you have to be practicalespecially because it is so expensive. We know of the happy stories and maybe thse who went for it - an oly titleo r just making the olympics are satisfied with what they did but sometimes at great expense - physically, emotionally and even financially not only on the skater but their friends and family. Sometimes it is the joy of the j ourney. But how many stories h ave we heard of familes who second mrtgaged their home for skating.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am not sure Alena's decision was because ice dancing was easier. It is what she chose in place of singles. Shecould have done pairs which might be morether training- jumps, spins. But I wish h er well. You know Ihae to respectskaters who go after their dreams no matter what the obstaclesand at the same time you have to appreciate those who make a good decision for themselves andsoley themselves. Skating at a high level should be forjoy and fulfillment yes but you have to be practicalespecially because it is so expensive. We know of the happy stories and maybe thse who went for it - an oly titleo r just making the olympics are satisfied with what they did but sometimes at great expense - physically, emotionally and even financially not only on the skater but their friends and family. Sometimes it is the joy of the j ourney. But how many stories h ave we heard of familes who second mrtgaged their home for skating.

IDK how this is relevant? I mean, I was responding to that person because it's common on here for posters to say: Oh you failed at singles just go into ice dance.

I was a skater who went for my dreams no matter what, so I don't really need the story about that.

And also, IDK why you're lecturing me on this? I was one of those skaters whose family second mortgaged their home. I talked about it many times on here. Please just get off the soapbox.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Kind of ironic that Deanna would appear to be working towards realistically a spot in Beijing if Canada gets three spots.

Do we have an anticipated timeline for her release from USFS? She has two National bronze medals. Nothing big in international competition, but I didn't know if this might be one of those more extended-wait scenarios?

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Junior ice dance teams Ella Ales / Daniel Tsarik (USA) and Irina Galiyanova / Grayson Lochhead (CAN) have both split. Ales and Tsarik announced their split on Instagram, and Galiyanova is now on Ice Partner Search.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
... Well, to look at it in a good way, one less item on my cacti list. I can't blame Alisa for not wanting to be the lesser one in the team, hopefully she can find a good partner and get her jumps landed. Since Sasha Korovin is staying in St. Petersburg he'll be paired up with somebody sooner or later, but I doubt Madame Moskvina will make the match for him this time since she's busy with Sasha and Mitya... Note to self: don't get attached to any of the new parterships that they might have, Russia's pairs field is way too competitive right now and both aren't exactly young (deep sigh)

noskates

Record Breaker
Best wishes to Ksenia for her future. She is a beautiful woman and will be missed. I always thought she didn't have a partner that could skate up to her level.