Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 107

Thread: 2019-20 Retirements

  1. #41
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,569

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by surimi View Post
    I wince at being the one to set up such a thread, but there have been a few retirements already and I think it would be good to keep track of them this way, as the less famous skaters usually don't have a thread in the Edge when they quit skating. I intend to keep updating the OP throughout the season.
    Have I omitted anyone?

    - confirmed retirements up till now:

    Men:
    Javier Fernandez
    Maxim Kovtun
    Alexander Majorov
    Phillip Harris

    Ladies:
    Kaetlyn Osmond
    Anna Pogorilaya
    Polina Tsurskaya
    SoYoun Park
    Larkyn Austman
    Camilla Gjersem


    - unconfirmed retirements:

    Ashley Wagner
    Mirai Nagasu
    Carolina Kostner
    Elena Radionova
    the Shibutanis
    Savchenko/Massot, I think there's no way either is coming back now
    Well Savchenko could be the new Zoe Jones. Don't count her out. Her theme song is from the Greatest Showman - Never Enough! She is competitive, fierce and a diva after all. She gets what she wants.

  2. #42
    Medalist La Rhumba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,076
    Country: United Kingdom

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well Savchenko could be the new Zoe Jones. Don't count her out. Her theme song is from the Greatest Showman - Never Enough! She is competitive, fierce and a diva after all. She gets what she wants.
    That's true. But I think Bruno is done with competitive skating now, so Aljona may need a new partner if she does return.

  3. #43
    Moonbear power Lunalovesskating's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,170

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    That's true. But I think Bruno is done with competitive skating now, so Aljona may need a new partner if she does return.
    Aljona talked in an interview that her father wants her to continue for another Olympics, maybe she wants to fullfill his wish? :D

  4. #44
    Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4,595
    Country: United States of America

    5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well Savchenko could be the new Zoe Jones. Don't count her out. Her theme song is from the Greatest Showman - Never Enough! She is competitive, fierce and a diva after all. She gets what she wants.
    In a John Wilson Blades interview 5 days ago, Aljona said,

    "I hope we can come back and beat again ourselves." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PSkrgmMDo

    The interviewer had asked how it felt to establish an IJS record. Aljona seems clear in her thinking that she wants to come back. The question is Bruno, but you're right that "she gets what she wants." She might be able to persuade him, but she's wise enough to say she takes life from year to year.

    Aljona gives a sublime answer to the question "what is special about this place (Obertsdorf)?" A few phrases from 6:07 onward:

    Like magic.... you have great opportunity to do what you love to do without any distraction ... and I think this is the platform for success. If you don't have this, it's like energy going hop-hop.... Here at the end of the day you are calm again. Next day you are fresh. And yeah this is something special what make this to success.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PSkrgmMDo

    I'm in love with her, her answers, her ideas, her reasons for skating. In love with her and Bruno's skating. I believe skating with Bruno (also her new coaches and being married to Liam Cross) brought out things in her, made them visible, which had perhaps been there, dormant or not, but not yet having been made visible in her skating. She's such an interesting human being, and it goes far beyond her being such a great competitor, which is awesome, but not the whole story.

  5. #45
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    42
    Country: Netherlands

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    In a John Wilson Blades interview 5 days ago, Aljona said,

    "I hope we can come back and beat again ourselves." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PSkrgmMDo

    The interviewer had asked how it felt to establish an IJS record. Aljona seems clear in her thinking that she wants to come back. The question is Bruno, but you're right that "she gets what she wants." She might be able to persuade him, but she's wise enough to say she takes life from year to year.

    Aljona gives a sublime answer to the question "what is special about this place (Obertsdorf)?" A few phrases from 6:07 onward:

    Like magic.... you have great opportunity to do what you love to do without any distraction ... and I think this is the platform for success. If you don't have this, it's like energy going hop-hop.... Here at the end of the day you are calm again. Next day you are fresh. And yeah this is something special what make this to success.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PSkrgmMDo

    I'm in love with her, her answers, her ideas, her reasons for skating. In love with her and Bruno's skating. I believe skating with Bruno (also her new coaches and being married to Liam Cross) brought out things in her, made them visible, which had perhaps been there, dormant or not, but not yet having been made visible in her skating. She's such an interesting human being, and it goes far beyond her being such a great competitor, which is awesome, but not the whole story.
    Well, first she will give birth to a beautiful baby girl this year and will give lessons with Bruno to new talent at the Holiday on Ice Academy. Then later next year they'll might be skating at Holiday on ice too. Would be great though that they will start skating together competitive wise though. Who knows!!

    About Zoe Jones! So so incredible that she's still on the ice! You can see that she's having the time of her life on the ice!!! Respect!!

  6. #46
    Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4,595
    Country: United States of America

    4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsaybia View Post
    Well, first she will give birth to a beautiful baby girl this year !
    Yeah, the interviewer asked her how the baby would effect her future plans, and she said, "I don't know. I've never had this [experience] before." (paraphrased.) That's very sensible! Plan, but be flexible.

  7. #47
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    711

    0 Not allowed!
    One did return to the ice after giving birth to her 1st baby. The tragedy followed but it wasn't related to the fact of her motherhood.

    P.S. Also there is one prima-ballerina in some Russian ballet (not The Bolshoy) who is a mother of three. And still dancing prima.

  8. #48
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    42
    Country: Netherlands

    4 Not allowed!
    Hihi! I just saw the interview and my husband and I had 2 seconds of fame! We were there in Milano last year to see them. At 7 min. and 39 sec. we were on screen, behind the judges!! So funny!!!! Normally they are filming the opposite side. I made a print screen of it, of course!!

  9. #49
    Forever respecting the sport Ic3Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,338
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    Hannah Miller (USA) has announced she is taking indefinite break from competing.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/ByvoS0bD...=18b8upm2iqw0u

  10. #50
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,569

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    One did return to the ice after giving birth to her 1st baby. The tragedy followed but it wasn't related to the fact of her motherhood.

    P.S. Also there is one prima-ballerina in some Russian ballet (not The Bolshoy) who is a mother of three. And still dancing prima.
    Didn't Irina Rodina come back and win OGM? Are you talking about Gordeeva and Grinkov in respect to tragedy. There was also triumph.

  11. #51
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,884
    Country: Australia

    13 Not allowed!
    Oh, this is sad: Brooklee Han has just announced her retirement, in part but not solely because of the ruptured Achilles tendon she suffered at Four Continents earlier this year.

    Twitter announcement: https://twitter.com/brookleeh95/stat...45843527196672

    Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzXwpy-Hca-/

    Really sad to see her go; she had some lovely performances last season and set a new Australian record score for the Ladies SP. But she says she wants to train as a tech specialist as well as coaching and pursuing her journalism career, so she's not leaving the skating world altogether.

  12. #52
    EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,839
    Country: Northern Ireland

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
    Oh, this is sad: Brooklee Han has just announced her retirement, in part but not solely because of the ruptured Achilles tendon she suffered at Four Continents earlier this year.

    Twitter announcement: https://twitter.com/brookleeh95/stat...45843527196672

    Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzXwpy-Hca-/

    Really sad to see her go; she had some lovely performances last season and set a new Australian record score for the Ladies SP. But she says she wants to train as a tech specialist as well as coaching and pursuing her journalism career, so she's not leaving the skating world altogether.
    My goodness! That is a LOT of people she thanked! It really makes you realise just how many people are involved behind the scenes.

    It's a shame to see her competitive skating career end like this. I was hoping that she would be able to make an amazing comeback and that her and Kailani would have great battles to be Aussie number 1 again. But, alas!

    Do you know if this injury is also going to affect her horsey things? Because it would be a really big blow if she had to give that up too.

    Well, she seems to be a girl who has her head screwed on. So, I am sure that everything will work out well for her.

    All the best to her for the future.

    CaroLiza_fan

  13. #53
    GS Supporter SnowWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,001
    Country: Canada

    4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    My goodness! That is a LOT of people she thanked! It really makes you realise just how many people are involved behind the scenes.

    It's a shame to see her competitive skating career end like this. I was hoping that she would be able to make an amazing comeback and that her and Kailani would have great battles to be Aussie number 1 again. But, alas!

    Do you know if this injury is also going to affect her horsey things? Because it would be a really big blow if she had to give that up too.

    Well, she seems to be a girl who has her head screwed on. So, I am sure that everything will work out well for her.

    All the best to her for the future.

    CaroLiza_fan
    I'd doubt it very, at least not long-term. Generally, you do need some strength and mobility in your ankles for riding (moreso in English than in Western), but not to the extent that you would need for high level skating. Mostly you have to be able to bend the ankle so that your toes are up and heel down, be able to apply pressure with your calves, dig your heels in and stand up in the stirrups with your ankle flexing and supporting some of your weight. That toe up-heel down position does stretch the back of the ankle, and that might be problematic right after the injury, but I would think that you would be able to adjust in the long-term, even if you lost some flexibility. It's fairly common for riders to keep competing with leg injuries, such as broken feet or toes (obviously not the same, but you can safely adjust to foot/leg issues while riding at a pretty high level). I know someone who got back to riding everyday after a broken kneecap (she wears a brace on it). Riders do require strength / need to be in shape, but because it's physically a partnership with the horse, it can be more forgiving than some sports in my experience.

    You can also always do bare-back or no stirrups riding if you have a good horse, which would put almost no strain on an ankle, except for getting on and off.

    Anyways, if she's back on the ice now (it sounded like she is), then I would guess that she's good for at least light riding.

    Sorry for being a bit off topic - I was a competitive horseback rider, and I can't help going into too much detail whenever horses come up.

  14. #54
    EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,839
    Country: Northern Ireland

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    I'd doubt it very, at least not long-term. Generally, you do need some strength and mobility in your ankles for riding (moreso in English than in Western), but not to the extent that you would need for high level skating. Mostly you have to be able to bend the ankle so that your toes are up and heel down, be able to apply pressure with your calves, dig your heels in and stand up in the stirrups with your ankle flexing and supporting some of your weight. That toe up-heel down position does stretch the back of the ankle, and that might be problematic right after the injury, but I would think that you would be able to adjust in the long-term, even if you lost some flexibility. It's fairly common for riders to keep competing with leg injuries, such as broken feet or toes (obviously not the same, but you can safely adjust to foot/leg issues while riding at a pretty high level). I know someone who got back to riding everyday after a broken kneecap (she wears a brace on it). Riders do require strength / need to be in shape, but because it's physically a partnership with the horse, it can be more forgiving than some sports in my experience.

    You can also always do bare-back or no stirrups riding if you have a good horse, which would put almost no strain on an ankle, except for getting on and off.

    Anyways, if she's back on the ice now (it sounded like she is), then I would guess that she's good for at least light riding.

    Sorry for being a bit off topic - I was a competitive horseback rider, and I can't help going into too much detail whenever horses come up.
    No need to apologise at all. It was relevant to the person being talked about and, for somebody like me who knows basically nothing about riding of any kind, it was an extremely informative post.



    Glad to hear that the injury shouldn't have much of a long term impact on Brooklee's other major interest.

    Thank you so much for replying

    CaroLiza_fan

  15. #55
    The Notorious SEW ancientpeas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    10,799
    Country: Canada

    3 Not allowed!
    Brooklee to win a gold for Australia in a equestrian event! Riders have way longer careers than skaters. And they get to spend all their downtime with horses. Nothing is better than hugging a horse.

    Happy retirement and much future success to Ms. Han.

  16. #56
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,569

    2 Not allowed!
    It is sad how an injury can derail someone's life so much. I know achilles is bad (i only have thank goodness achilles tendinitis) but I didn't realize it was that bad. I think one of the Chinese men came back okay and right now he world is watch Kevin Durant in basketball if he will come back - well I guess Brooklyn (city) is hoping. I honestly thought Ms. Han had a great shot at representing Australia still even with Ms. Crane battling her and whoever else. It is wonderful she has other opportunities.
    Wishing her well and a full recovery.

  17. #57
    GS Supporter humbaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    916
    Country: Tibet

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientpeas View Post
    Nothing is better than hugging a horse.

    You'll be in trouble if the little guy in your avatar reads that.

  18. #58
    The Notorious SEW ancientpeas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    10,799
    Country: Canada

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by humbaba View Post
    You'll be in trouble if the little guy in your avatar reads that.
    He was a little afraid of horses. Dogs normally are cautious around them because getting kicked by a horse is pretty bad for a dog. He would have complained but he wouldn't have done anything about it. We kept him away from other animals as he wasn't always a classic "good boy".

    Gosh.. I miss him nearly every single day. We adopted an older dog and I love her to pieces but there was something about Eli.

    Anyway..sorry for the OT.

  19. #59
    GS Supporter PaulE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    168
    Country: United States of America

    4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientpeas View Post
    He was a little afraid of horses. Dogs normally are cautious around them because getting kicked by a horse is pretty bad for a dog. He would have complained but he wouldn't have done anything about it. We kept him away from other animals as he wasn't always a classic "good boy".

    Gosh.. I miss him nearly every single day. We adopted an older dog and I love her to pieces but there was something about Eli.

    Anyway..sorry for the OT.
    I apologize for continuing off topic but wanted to say I very much appreciate ancientpeas comment. I really love my current dog and would be lost without her but the bond I had with my first two dogs (brother and sister, now gone for almost 15 years) still seems greater. My dear little boy can be seen in my avatar.

    Thanks for the reminder, ancientpeas.

  20. #60
    If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~ bunnybarista's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    273
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    This is a little off-topic, but was there ever an official retirement announcement from Virtue/Moir last year? Of course I know they're not coming back again, it seems quite clear that that door has been closed... and Scott has frequently used the word "retired" in interviews lately. But I was reading their updated book, Our Journey from Childhood Dream to Gold, and the final chapter mentioned that they would announce their retirement in the "fall of 2018." Am I blind or did that post never happen?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •