Japanese skater switching to Eteri? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japanese skater switching to Eteri?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
From the results she has been having for so long, whoever switches to her camp will end up getting a medal :) Tursunbayeva is a perfect example of that

Not really - yes, there's quite a lot of impressive hardware among her girls but she's got such a crowd of them, after all. As with most coaches in most sports, the majority of her skaters are pretty empty-handed by their use by date. "You pays your money and you takes your chances" as the old saying goes.

Mind you, if it all turns out to be a furphy...

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Yuzu didn't always get gold with Orser and he still sticks to him, there's a good reason for that.

If it was a male skater going to Eteri (I would guess only for some sort of camp, I don't see a Japanese skater going there permamently) I would guess Shoma maybe, he had a silver curse on him for as long time, maybe he wants an outside look. Overall I doubt any male skater would want to go there, ET is rather known for her success with ladies.

If it was female... well then I would rule Satoko out because she literally just was at TCC so I seriously doubt it, Rika can be also safely ruled out, Wakaba - also don't think so, I think she wouldn't do that to Zhenya. Maybe it's Yuna Shiraiwa?

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Google translation means some J-skater may think to study with one of ET coaches.
It may be anything from attending some courses to having one of Team Tutberidze coaches leaving the team for Japan.

in recent years Dudakov visited the Philippines and held training sessions there.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Yuzu didn't always get gold with Orser and he still sticks to him, there's a good reason for that.

If it was a male skater going to Eteri (I would guess only for some sort of camp, I don't see a Japanese skater going there permamently) I would guess Shoma maybe, he had a silver curse on him for as long time, maybe he wants an outside look. Overall I doubt any male skater would want to go there, ET is rather known for her success with ladies.

If it was female... well then I would rule Satoko out because she literally just was at TCC so I seriously doubt it, Rika can be also safely ruled out, Wakaba - also don't think so, I think she wouldn't do that to Zhenya. Maybe it's Yuna Shiraiwa?

What do you mean by doing "that" to Zhenya, are they good friends or something? Not that I think Wakaba is the one, but I don't understand why it would be hurtful to Zhenya in specifically Wakaba's case

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Wakaba - also don't think so, I think she wouldn't do that to Zhenya.
I really don't think a skater would refuse to make a coaching change that she thinks can help her career, just because of friendship (surely not even close friendship). Hold back her career for that, really.
Would be weird to choose to be loyal to someone who fight for the same medals as you, if you want to win (probably against this person), so feel that you need to change coach if you wan to win medals/titles.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I really don't think a skater would refuse to make a coaching change that she thinks can help her career, just because of friendship (surely not even close friendship). Hold back her career for that, really.
Would be weird to choose to be loyal to someone who fight for the same medals as you, if you want to win (probably against this person), so feel that you need to change coach if you wan to win medals/titles.

Well, of course I agree with you, friendship shouldn't really be a factor, it's your job so you do everything you need to improve. I don't know either Wakaba or Zhenya, but if I recall they are indeed close friends, and I know Japanese people are generally known for their loyalty, I simply assumed, but I may as well be wrong.
I just imagine it might be hurtful to Zhenya, she's a young lady and even though she is quite mature, at 19yo you take everything much more personally :)

Claudalie

Rinkside
Not really - yes, there's quite a lot of impressive hardware among her girls but she's got such a crowd of them, after all. As with most coaches in most sports, the majority of her skaters are pretty empty-handed by their use by date. "You pays your money and you takes your chances" as the old saying goes.

Mind you, if it all turns out to be a furphy...

The impressive hardware is still in Juniors and those skaters will definitely get medals when they move to seniors. She does not have empty-handed senior skaters:) She knows how to use her crowd for the max showcase and prizes.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Well, of course I agree with you, friendship shouldn't really be a factor, it's your job so you do everything you need to improve. I don't know either Wakaba or Zhenya, but if I recall they are indeed close friends, and I know Japanese people are generally known for their loyalty, I simply assumed, but I may as well be wrong.
I just imagine it might be hurtful to Zhenya, she's a young lady and even though she is quite mature, at 19yo you take everything much more personally :)

But with the amount of times people change coaches in the figure skating world, if you ruled out all of your friends former coaches you wouldn't have many options left. I do think this specific story sounds more like a rumor though.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
I'm almost certain Jack is just trying to generate hype around Moa Iwano AGAIN. She's pretty much the only Japanese skater he has direct access to and information on that's not hearsay.
A portion of funds raised by her current crowdfunding campaign is supposed to pay for overseas training.

Judging from his tweet, I'd say temporary instruction is what's intended rather than a coaching change.
Kaori could be a slim possibility in this case. With the way Jack kisses up to Benoit Richaud he could've easily obtained some dirt on her training.

However, if there's a Japanese skater other than Moa who is actually planning a switch, my guess would be either Rika Hongo or Riko Takino.
And between the two, I think it's likely only Takino would be accepted.

About men who train with Eteri, there's also Alexey Erokhov and Ilya Skirda.

Weathergal

Medalist
I'm almost certain Jack is just trying to generate hype around Moa Iwano AGAIN. She's pretty much the only Japanese skater he has direct access to and information on that's not hearsay.
A portion of funds raised by her current crowdfunding campaign is supposed to pay for overseas training.

Judging from his tweet, I'd say temporary instruction is what's intended rather than a coaching change.
Kaori could be a slim possibility in this case. With the way Jack kisses up to Benoit Richaud he could've easily obtained some dirt on her training.

However, if there's a Japanese skater other than Moa who is actually planning a switch, my guess would be either Rika Hongo or Riko Takino.
And between the two, I think it's likely only Takino would be accepted.

About men who train with Eteri, there's also Alexey Erokhov and Ilya Skirda.

And also Daniel Samsonov.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Off topic, but I read somewhere recently that Skirda has switched to Ice Dance and no longer trains with Eteri. I don’t even remember where, so I could be wrong:scratch2:

Interesting about Jack Gallagher and his sources, I know I haven’t trusted his rumors in the past, but I can’t say exactly why. We’ll see whether any Japanese skater actually leaves for more than three days :biggrin:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION đŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anything is possible, but I just can't imagine Sho going to Eteri! :noshake:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

It does seem like a stretch! But I was wondering about this. What Eteri seems great at is drilling consistency into her skaters and packaging them into winners. At the same time, I don’t know if she’s ever worked (or worked successfully) with skaters of Sho’s body type. So not sure a move to her would make sense.

Ykai

On the Ice

Has Eteri ever taken any foreign skaters other than lil bet? But lil bet was from Moscow to begin with.

Can't imagine Shoma training with the 3A's :bang:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Has Eteri ever taken any foreign skaters other than lil bet? But lil bet was from Moscow to begin with.

No, but I believe she once said she'd like to train Yuzu, so that shows she's open to it with the right skater. And she could be looking for someone to break her 'can't train very top men' duck.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, but I believe she once said she'd like to train Yuzu, so that shows she's open to it with the right skater. And she could be looking for someone to break her 'can't train very top men' duck.

Well heck *I’d* like to train Yuzu:laugh: Along with World Peace and Winning the Lottery. But sadly, Yuzu does not want to train with me ;)

It’s very interesting to me that Shoma has announced ahead of time that he is going on a “tryout tour”. That’s common [ETA: the tryouts, not the announcement] with North American skaters, but I don’t know if it is the norm for Japanese or Russian skaters. Since this is Shoma’s choice and Shoma’s decision, would Eteri host Shoma for a tryout knowing that he might say, “See ya later, alligator”? Or don’t they do tryouts?

I really don’t know :scratch:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power đŸ»
Record Breaker
Well heck *I’d* like to train Yuzu:laugh: Along with World Peace and Winning the Lottery. But sadly, Yuzu does not want to train with me ;)

It’s very interesting to me that Shoma has announced ahead of time that he is going on a “tryout tour”. That’s common [ETA: the tryouts, not the announcement] with North American skaters, but I don’t know if it is the norm for Japanese or Russian skaters. Since this is Shoma’s choice and Shoma’s decision, would Eteri host Shoma for a tryout knowing that he might say, “See ya later, alligator”? Or don’t they do tryouts?

I really don’t know :scratch:

There are try outs at Eteri's camp as far as I remember. I remember that they took on a few younger skaters last year e.g. Kamila and Maya were some of them and after a certain period of time one of the new girls left the group as she didn't pass the probation period.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Oh I am aware that pretty much everyone and their great aunt Sophronia would have taken him off Brian's hands in a heartbeat - but Shoma isn't that far behind :laugh: and possibly easier on the nerves and hair-loss program.

And Eteri would already be looking to the OGM in ladies in 2022 - can you imagine how much popcorn would be needed for the drama if she was in the running for that and the mens???